U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

17 posts, read 50,221 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are thinking of moving to miami, we have three kids all young.
So good schools are a must, we currently live in Denver, co but I was raised in Palm beach county.
My husband was offered an UI design job in Miami, great pay so something we would love to do....being from Florida I miss the warmth and beach would love to raise my kids around that.
Our main worry is all the reviews on miami look awful! I don't want to raise my kids in the ghetto or be forced to put them in private school.
We will rent first budget is like 2k.
Also we don't speak Spanish is that a huge issue? My husband doesn't need it for work.....but I don't want to live in a neighborhood where we feel like we are in a different country.
A lot of the reviews make Miami seem like one major ghetto with Caucasians being no where.
We would love some ideas on is this a good move or not?
I'm not looking to offend anyone, we've lived in diverse areas and are find with that.... Lived in NYC so used to a lot of different people and cultures.
At the same time I don't want to feel like we are in a different country altogether, or somewhere where my kids aren't going to be comfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
Don't beleive everything you read. People put a lot more effort to complain about a city than to compliment it.

$2k budget is alright. Where do you want to live? Suburbs? Close to your husbands job? Give us an idea how far you want to be from for the job location and how long a commute he could handle and we can give you better ideas. Not knowing Spanish is not a big problem especially since he already has a job. Miami is NOT some huge ghetto. Take a look at the neighborhood map at the top of this forum. Once we have a better idea what you want we can give much better advice. Miami is an American city yo won't feel like you are in another country. Sure there are many Hispanics but Hispanics are becoming the majority in the U.S.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,198,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mich33 View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are thinking of moving to miami, we have three kids all young.
So good schools are a must, we currently live in Denver, co but I was raised in Palm beach county.
My husband was offered an UI design job in Miami, great pay so something we would love to do....being from Florida I miss the warmth and beach would love to raise my kids around that.
Our main worry is all the reviews on miami look awful! I don't want to raise my kids in the ghetto or be forced to put them in private school.
We will rent first budget is like 2k.
Also we don't speak Spanish is that a huge issue? My husband doesn't need it for work.....but I don't want to live in a neighborhood where we feel like we are in a different country.
A lot of the reviews make Miami seem like one major ghetto with Caucasians being no where.
We would love some ideas on is this a good move or not?
I'm not looking to offend anyone, we've lived in diverse areas and are find with that.... Lived in NYC so used to a lot of different people and cultures.
At the same time I don't want to feel like we are in a different country altogether, or somewhere where my kids aren't going to be comfortable
Us census as of 2012
Miami-Dade County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Now look at white non Hispanic 16 Percent, white Hispanic 64 percent total white 77 percent.

Even though it looks like it is all Hispanic here, understand that a lot of us white hispanics have been here for over thirty five years, someone us don't even look Hispanic but are of Spanish decent and have assimilated and consider our self American first, but are very proud of our heritage.

You will also find pockets of white non Hispanics in areas but to think that you will find a completely Hispanic free community in Miami dade is just delusional.

Now in regards to schools, for the most part elementary schools are not a big problem in decent areas, it is when you enter middle to high schools that you have to rethink the area that you are in or consider private schools.

That being said I grew up in a working class area, and both of my boys did well when we tranferred them to a new high school since both elementary and middle were excellent, Both are in FIU and doing well.

Not speaking Spanish should not be a problem at all unless you enter a Hispanic market or sometimes in a Walmart in a very Hispanic area of town.

Since you are renting at first that will be a good thing because you will get a feel for it.

You lived in palm beach, and there is a world of difference between both counties but you might be surprised how much even palm beach has changed over time.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM

760 posts, read 2,045,660 times
We moved here from California in August and I love it here. DH is working in downtown Miami, and we chose to buy in South Miami (between Coral Gables and Pinecrest). My older neighbors are Latin, but the younger ones with young kids aren't. Our kids are adults, so schools weren't an issue - although I believe our neighborhood school is excellent. I would be concerned about the Spanish element if it was necessary for your job - you would definitely need Spanish in service and healthcare. As for me personally, I don't speak any, and never have a problem- occasionally I bump into a server in small restaurants who don't speak any English - that is very rare. As to Miami being a ghetto - I just don't see that, and I guess I don't hang out in any bad areas or go to any bad areas. Same when I lived in San Jose - I never went to East San Jose.

I'm a little curious about your use of the word Caucasian. Miami is heavily populated by Latin people from South America of European descent. They look pretty Caucasian to me. I lived in San Jose which was Asian/White/Mexican, and Houston which was primarily White/Black/Mexican. I would classify Miami as being White/Black. (Not to offend anybody either).

Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM

4,139 posts, read 5,859,189 times
We need a sticky saying "if you don't speak Spanish - NOT a huge issue"

Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
I didnt notice your use of the word Caucasian. Hope you understand most Hispanics are white, especially in Miami where the majority of Hispanics trace their routes to Spain. They are just as white genealogically as an Irish man or Italian family.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,800,931 times
OP, Have you looked into living into broward? It will be less of a shock compared to Miami-Dade. There are still some pockets in Miami-Dade (Aventura, Miami beach Brickell, Pinecrest, the falls, homestead, east Kendall to name a few) that aren't totally Hispanic, you still will hear lots of Spanish spoken in the stores in these areas (many speak English in these areas but prefer to speak Spanish, so if you need help there is usually no problem finding someone that speaks english). Which makes many of my Caucasian friends feel out of place. The running joke is when they go to broward county they are entering the US. If you decide to live in Miami-dade just know you won't need Spanish in many parts, but it will be the dominant language you will hear even in these pocket areas when you go out. Now to your concern of your kids feeling comfortable or not, I think kids adapt pretty well to what ever environment they are put into. Hearing lots of Spanish will become a norm, and who knows maybe your children will learn Spanish.

To your question about lots of Miami being a ghetto. Well, since your coming from Denver which is such a clean and pretty city, you may feel this way about many parts of Miami-dade. A friend of mine left a nice area near Miami called The Falls, he moved to a very clean, we'll manicured streets kind of city a few years ago. When he came back to visit last year, he called the area he lived, a dump, homes on his block are probably around 500k -600k. The Falls is one of the nicest areas in Miami-Dade in my opinion. The Falls isn't as we'll manicured compared to where he is living now, but it's very nice for Miami standards. So I think it depends on your opinion of what is a ghetto. I'll never forget going to Durham, NC and seeing what they considered the ghetto. I laughed and said you think that is a ghetto, it looked like any apartment complex in Kendall. It just depends on ones expectations.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-05-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami