Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM

72 posts, read 110,390 times

Advertisements

While immigrantshold theblame for most our poverty nationally and here too, problem is theresno industry . Nothing of any importance is made here without a boeing , ford, gm, you will never get all those areas

Construction helps I have worked on those high rises,

Worked with a lot of those alapatah lib c carol city blacks ppl good friends, I like them,but at 9 bucks an hour, its not enough.

Those sky rises are putting 1000 s to work but at abysmal rates.

You need a giant. Somebody like gm 50 ooo workers in one roof problem is they don't come here cause floridians are looked upon as a joke, corp big blue...

Not goofy corp.....that's hardley fwvidson spirit carnaval that's fun corporate...

Real corporate 200,000 plus employee corp....

Gm ford ibm who love the disciplined northeast mid...

They think of ppl here as jokes....

You need big blue to rescue miami...

Goofy corp is 2000 or 3000 jobs ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Goofy corp is your carnival ryder spirit etc.ppl who don't really build anything.

Now corp real corp big b.

Boeing ibm ford microsoft

Come on man get real those ppl hate

Fun and look for highly highly disciplined

Workers not to be mistaken with smart

Or educated.

That's everthing floridinans aren't no national secret. I don't think its un fair to say that. So for you ppl to score even a little piece of ford,

You would basically stop being a floridian.

Goofy stupid socialy pointless person,

And be about something for like 20 years

Plus that's what ford looks for,

They would never come here....

This place just doesnot fit the stuffy big blue image.

Yet that stuffyness that floridians disdain

More than snow is the only ppl that

Can employ 10 000 in one shot at 20 bucks....

So its like miamians sort of ...pay for the

Way they arei guess,

Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 20,745 times
Lack of even minimum wage jobs

Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG50 View Post
How come Miami doesn't attract wealthy young professionals like NYC or DC or San Francisco? It seems like everyone here is either (a) poor (b) immigrant from Cuba (c) some shady reject who moved here from the North or (d) old people coming here to die from their cold climates.

Median Income, 2011

Miami: $28,999
Bronx: $33,794
Compton: $33,234

I mean, WTF?
I was thinking more WTF regarding your line of reasoning. You must not live here or if you do live here then you are failure and unable to own up to your limitations.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
If the original poster is only examining the City of Miami, then his methodology is flawed. Miami is a very small city in a very large urban area. The City of Miami only includes the downtown and immediate areas surrounding it. It does not include Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Doral, Kendall, North Miami Beach, etc. etc. etc. In other words, the nicer areas of Miami are not within the city limit. The City of Miami is rapidly being improved thanks to the Brickell area growing fast as lightning. But much of the city is mostly urban blight.
This is true. But the Miami metro (which includes Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties) IS one of the poorest in the nation compared to the other major metros.

See my thread: Poverty rates for the 25 largest metro areas (2012)

Of course, this is only using poverty rate, so this doesn't include people who are not under poverty. But many who aren't living in poverty are close to it, like many blue-collar workers.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis_All_Day View Post
From an outsiders take (just moving to Miami), here's an educated guess:

#1 - It is not that Miami is poor as it is the fact that the RANGE of wealth is tied to the top 5%; also keep in mind that median income does not include wealthy areas, such as Weston, Boca Raton, or Key Biscayne. This is Miami proper.

#2 - Miami's economy is built off of International Finance and Tourism; either area requires high powered education (which most people do not have) or very low paying jobs for guests.

#3 - Those cities have their share of poor America too - NYC, it is everywhere. The NY Times put an article out last year, stating the 'true' poverty of New Yorkers is more like 21% (New York City Poverty Rate Rises As Gap Between Rich And Poor Widens)... In San Fran, the poor are being pushed to the suburbs to keep the poverty rate in check (The Suburbanization of Poverty in the San Francisco Bay Area « Building Resilient Regions).

#4 - NYC, Chicago, San Fran... are much more susceptible to poverty as they are classic examples of the 'working poor' or those living paycheck to paycheck. You might see as much 'poverty' as we've grown to think what it is 'suppose' to look like. And the numbers are drastically larger in those cities.

#5 - Miami is an immigrant's gateway to the US. Look at the geography. And the language, weather and population is probably an easier transition to American life than previous while providing a better outlook.

Miami's issue is just earlier to see with twice few people as San Fran and almost 20 times smaller than New York. And yes, there are a large number of immigrants and retirees, but that's not unique to just Miami.

It is an Alpha-World City (just like SF and NYC), so there is talent (and money) here. My 'uber' point is these 'top' cities suffer from many of the same ills as Miami.
It's been said there's a large underground economy in Miami- made up mostly of immigrants ( from other countries, along with some folks from other states) who work for "under the table" wages, paid in cash usually, that are not reported to the federal government. So that income isn't taxed, there is no SS or Medicare taxes deducted from the income either. There's no telling how much these wages would add to any income statistics for the area if they were counted in any survey, but they aren't.

Many of the folks working and collecting those under the table income may send a significant portion of it back to their families in their countries of origin, and they may also be on Medicaid and collecting welfare and food stamps...

Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM

16 posts, read 39,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's been said there's a large underground economy in Miami- made up mostly of immigrants ( from other countries, along with some folks from other states) who work for "under the table" wages, paid in cash usually, that are not reported to the federal government. So that income isn't taxed, there is no SS or Medicare taxes deducted from the income either. There's no telling how much these wages would add to any income statistics for the area if they were counted in any survey, but they aren't.

Many of the folks working and collecting those under the table income may send a significant portion of it back to their families in their countries of origin, and they may also be on Medicaid and collecting welfare and food stamps...
Very well put. As we are looking for a house (probably something needing a little work in a nice area), I've been getting all sorts of recommendations for who to do the work. Most of the recommendations turn out to be 'friends' or 'cousins' that can do it versus businesses. I'm sure there are many who take advantage of these types of services that doesn't add to the reported bottom line.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Corporate big blue does not come here.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM

227 posts, read 437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG50 View Post
How come Miami doesn't attract wealthy young professionals like NYC or DC or San Francisco? It seems like everyone here is either (a) poor (b) immigrant from Cuba (c) some shady reject who moved here from the North or (d) old people coming here to die from their cold climates.

Median Income, 2011

Miami: $28,999
Bronx: $33,794
Compton: $33,234

I mean, WTF?
But here it's a cheaper area, so I think that 29.000 bucks buy a lot more here than The Bronx.
Even considering that, yes I consider Miami poor because of lack of middle-class families and jobs. Also you have to consider that a big part of the city consist of uneducated immigrants, who get a very low wages just to satisfy minimal necesities. Please note that I'm talking just about the city, not the whole county.

Greetings!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 PM

203 posts, read 518,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post
But here it's a cheaper area, so I think that 29.000 bucks buy a lot more here than The Bronx.
Even considering that, yes I consider Miami poor because of lack of middle-class families and jobs. Also you have to consider that a big part of the city consist of uneducated immigrants, who get a very low wages just to satisfy minimal necesities. Please note that I'm talking just about the city, not the whole county.

Greetings!
Thomas hit it on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami