Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM

18 posts, read 29,450 times

Advertisements

There is no black scene in Miami Beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:50 AM

5 posts, read 12,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonuc299 View Post
This place is littered with 20 something who jumped down here, but when a professional does it its trajic cause his career was doing well in nyc.

My advice is split time over 5 years...

That way you can make the best decesion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonuc299 View Post
Im white 43 my advice strong by the way is when you are 25 nyc is ground zero for careers. I vote against it for you. You don't have enough professional exp to come here, you should look into split time.

6 months here and 6 there that way you can not loose costly nyc exposure
that is what i plan to do. I do real estate in NYC and the hot months are May-Sept, and that is when I make a strong 80% of my income.

So for the winter months im looking for a place in miami, not only to enjoy the weather but to also get a feel of the RE market (as my firm also has offices on Miami Beach) and possibly work the same down there

My financial situation is set, im just asking questions on what to expect socially..

Last edited by BrooklynBound88; 02-03-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 12,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis_All_Day View Post
I'm also a black professional living in Brickell (not from Brooklyn, but I get it) - I would try something like meetup.com. There's an African-American group on there that meets often. Maybe you can time your visit around one of the meeting dates to get more black perspective.

My wife and I are new to Miami and might try the meet others that way. I'll tell you now, blacks (especially American born) are rare in the professional scene here (that my short time has witnessed) but that's not too different from most cities.

Keep in mind that South Beach is a bit touristy, so you might not get as much of "Miami" as you might think. Look at Edgewater or Brickell, as the density, nightlife, young professionals, and party mix is pretty nice. Plus Key Biscayne, South Beach, etc., are just a 3-4 miles drive.

Good luck and keep us informed if you need further help.
thanks for the insight.

So what i get from your post is basically there are very little professional/middle-class blacks in Dade, so id assume even less in Miami Beach, no?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
I don't know about any particular scene down there, but I do enjoy Lincoln Road. I've met so many fascinating people while wandering around/eating there.

Considering the population, there must be something around. Don't they still have the hip-hop awards down there?

Good luck to you! Living in both places is the dream

I think there is a Haitian-American professional association up in Delray. That's a bit north for you probably. I just know from delivering mail.

However, perhaps they could steer you in the right direction ?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 AM

195 posts, read 364,895 times
Some people want to be black when we are doing good and when we are not they associate themselves with something else.Don't come to our civic organizations when the cops beat you.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBound88 View Post
thanks for the insight.

So what i get from your post is basically there are very little professional/middle-class blacks in Dade, so id assume even less in Miami Beach, no?
read this Grassroots efforts seek to reverse brain drain in South Florida - Business - MiamiHerald.com

Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 3,913 times
Miami made the top ten in the latest Forbes listing of best places for African Americans coming in at the #8 spot.

Last edited by LH_Latimer; 01-22-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBound88 View Post
Hey all, I'm newly registered just wanted to say hi first off.

I'm 25 years old and a young black professional (Haitian-American if that matters)

I've been to Miami, Miami-dade a few times and I love it, primarily for the weather.

I am from Brooklyn, so naturally I'd want something more dense, yet sans high rise and Miami Beach seems ideal. I've never actually been to Miami Beach but based off research I've done on here and elsewhere SoBe and probably a little above seems ideal. Finances aren't an issue, as the average price of a 1bed in Brooklyn will get me something pretty decent in Miami Beach.

but I have some questions:

As far as the scene how existent is the black scene on Miami Beach? Obviously outside of major holidays/etc as this may be a permanent residence or at least part time.

As far as the hiphop/afro-soul/jazz scenes is there regularly a presence in South Beach?

And as far as meeting people, people who I'd walk by daily, be able to meet etc, is there a black or Caribbean presence down there?

In a nutshell what I'm asking is how would the lifestyle be for a 25 year old, straight black male living in Miami Beach/SoBe?

Thanks in advance for any valuable insight
Non black Miamians are super racist toward your Haitian ethnicity. Miami is the worst place for a dark skinned non Hispanic person. I am not black but I have seen multiple/countless times how people treat Haitians and other blacks.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Miami has a black scene but Miami proper is 70 percent Latino and many of the blacks are Latino like Dominicans or Island blacks

Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 PM

683 posts, read 853,146 times
I say don't do it.

#1. You are a New Yorker and you will complain about how it's not NY, people will tell you to go the bleep back then in Miami. Most New Yorkers are in Fort Lauderdale. It's more English speaking there. It probably is your best bet if you have to move to South FL.

#2. Black or Haitian. On the real Miami is an Cuban Latin/Hispanic city, so they definitely are going to hook up their Goombas when it comes to job time. Bilingual is key, so there is that. There is a hidden racism, but not on the level like NY racism or the deep south. So if you are not transferring with a job, then you really need to pump your brakes. Cost of living vs. salaries is very tilted.

#3. South Beach is the tourist area, you will not find too many hip hop clubs. Maybe they do if for one night, but not a sole hip hop club. If it is, black clubs. Expect to pop bottles to get in. South Beach really isn't really geared for the hip hop scene. Fort Lauderdale has more of a Caribbean thus reggae and island clubs. A lot of island people moved out of Miami. You would find more of a mix that way.

Last edited by deboinair; 01-26-2015 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami