Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 AM

7 posts, read 32,347 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in Broward county. and I must say the work ethic is terrible down here. I can give you thousands of examples. But what really bothers me more is that the owners/managers don't do anything to improve it.

I have my own business I'm a Computer Technician I travel to my clients homes and small businesses. I can't tell you how many complaints I've had about other service men who never show up, or don't know what they are doing. I do a good job. Most of the time I don't have to go back for a redo. If I do I go back within 24 hours. It's so simple just do a good job and have a good attitude. (even if you don't like the customer.) because that customer is your bread and water. I've done this alone for 6 years I won't hire anyone because of the work ethic. in South Florida. Yeah I'm making money and I have a good reputation But I'm burnt out.

To tell you how pathetic it is down here someone just sent me a gift of a sattlelight radio. I went to one radio place the thing was not grounded properly you would hear a high pitch noise. I went back and he was to busy to deal with it.

I went someplace else the owner was fine he upsold me but I am happy with it he was truthful. But when I left the AM radio didn't work, and I could not pull out the face plate for security reasons. I went back one of the help was trying to convince me there was nothing wrong with the AM radio. I got the owner he sided with me. after a half hour that got fixed. I am now able to pull out the face plate. However when I got into the car instead of making it fit right in the dash they cut a hole in the bottom of it and there are cut marks on the upper right corner. (I see it.) Now I have to go back again. I'm ready to go someplace else.

I do need services done for me in a lot of fields To be perfectly honest It's really starting to cause some major depression in me. I'm ready to take off.

what is it with south florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 29,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
Chelito and Tallrick posted exactly how it is in the thrid world; I mean Miami.
So true. And, if you have to hire someone to repair your home, your car, you tv, your bicycle, anything... forget it. Just figure out how to do it yourself. You'll save yourself money and heart ache.

This scenario happened to two friends of mine. They payed a guy half upfront to remodel their kitchen. The guy showed up, took the money, did the demolition on the first day and they never saw him again.

I've driven more than 200 miles to have someone work on my car. In March I'll drive more than 2,000 miles the hell out of this place.

This place is farked.

Last edited by joe33141; 01-31-2008 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 07:54 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe33141 View Post
So true. And, if you have to hire someone to repair your home, your car, you tv, your bicycle, anything... forget it. Just figure out how to do it yourself. You'll save yourself money and heart ache.

This scenario happened to two friends of mine. They payed a guy half upfront to remodel their kitchen. The guy showed up, took the money, did the demolition on the first day and they never saw him again.

I've driven more than 200 miles to have someone work on my car. In March I'll drive more than 2,000 miles the hell out of this place.

This place is farked.
That pretty much sums up all of Florida or at least Orlando southward. No wonder the economy sucks here, people don't do good work, and those who do still get paid crap so there's no use in doing good work.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM

96 posts, read 366,056 times
As many have said - Miami would have to show up to work to be considered to have a laid back attitude.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
People ask me why I have so many tools, and that's the reason why. I redid the sewer pipes for my parents about 10 years ago. Before then the kitchen sink would need to be snaked out once or twice a year. The main pipe collapsed and toilet water came up in the bathtub. I used my Bobcat and got the pipe from builder's square. I tunneled under the home and rerouted the pipes to be more efficient. A neighbor hired a LICENSED contractor to do the same job. They had to jackhammer the floor, dig the yard, have permits and inspections, everything done to code. 6,000.00 later the job was done. Believe it or not I have seen the plumbers on their roof snaking out the pipes again. My homemade work has had zero problems. Neater and faster, but illegal. Still works great though!

As for mechanics, they scare me. I just got through tuning up my rust bucket car, and it runs like a dream. There are quality workers in Miami but they are not cheap. My theory is that if you cannot do it yourself, don't do it.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,221 times
I grew up in Miami my entire life, until the age of 20, when I moved to Michigan for a year, and then various places in California. After 10 years living elsewhere, and then moving back to Broward for a year and then Miami again, I have to say, Miami is truly retarded.

To 305guy, we are not generalizing. People in Miami, specifically Miami, compared to just about any other big city in this country, are noticeably far lazier, ruder, more ignorant, dishonest, and more backstabbing than most any other place I've lived. This really is a 3rd world, where knowledge, skill, professionalism just doesn't compare to big boobs, tattle tales, gossips or brown-nosing.

This is a city of Spanish-speaking apes. Anyone with an I.Q. of 3 digits or higher- hell, anyone who's ever read anything more than an instruction manual should avoid this place.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:28 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
Miami is the same east coast attitude , everything east coast, with the exception of a latin twist on it that's all. West coast is much more laid back attitude.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM

380 posts, read 961,669 times
So, what an interesting thread. Let me just say, even with Miami's craziness I still like it here. I'm from the DC area, I run a small export business here in Miami (lots of work) and I have seen examples of all the bad stuff above. I was working under a guy that was incredibly lazy and purposely seemed to slow down when a customer was in a rush. His notion was "im not stressing out for that guy." Mind you this person was from a third world country.

Now, in Miami it has to be clarified that there are A LOT of foreign born people. Yes, there are lots of foreign people in America, but american values and such are not impressed upon people in Miami like they are elsewhere. My honest observation is a lot people only know what they know about america from television, movies and every local born miamians right of passage at least once in their life trip to new york city. I work/am on the phone with people in latin american countries everyday. In some, just showing up to work means you are doing a good job (and they say this to me like I should give them a cookie)!!! So if you come from a country where this is the norm, even if you know better than most, your idea of "hard work" will probably be a degree less stringent than someone say from the northeast with solid working class ties.

It's about perspective. As a thorough american (let me qualify, gringo. But I know if you are talking about me in Spanish), I am stunned that in these countries you can stop whenever and whatever your doing for 20 minutes to chat with someone. Even directors, managers, boss, officers, etc do this! Anyway, there certainly are mixed standards of work ethic in Miami. Obviously not all work is created equal as the standards have to be higher in some sectors than others. Where they don't have to be, you find some crud.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,032 times
Default My two cents

I came from a Latinamerican country where wages are three times less than in Miami; however, there is not reason to behave like a scoundrel in a job.

Although my entire family has been living here I couldn't find a decent job for the first two years here. All jobs were lack of manners, etiquette, and that annoying Cuban clique. I have good qualifications and skills to perform any role in my field but every job here is about who you are related or by recommendation of one friend or family.

I worked in call centers which is the most horrible experience ever. Collagen, vitamins etc and the mood is about backstabbing, ass-kissers, narcissistic ppl, and the worst, they want to get your wage in a mess. They want to give a bite to your commissions for every reason.

It was not until my father presented me to his company and I immediately got the job; however, it was the worst nightmare I ever had. It was Chiropractic and I worked as a driver but because the clinic was in arrears I had to wait for them to pay for about almost one year , and to cap it all off they lost me two paychecks saying they already paid it.

This clinic was a clear picture for the same situation in Miami and although the owner is a gringo he is not really acquainted on the real inner situation of his own business being as how everybody hides the complaints clients, unfairness and stuffs. Most employees don't even speak English and I remember a guy working as a parking valet being "promoted" because he was related to the manager. And the most disruptive thing was he didn't even have a therapist license.

But the situation doesn't even stop on employees but by the same patients. If you don't like them they say lies about you to be fired or punished by the manager. I had to stand all those demanding refugees from 8 zone for about three years. It was a real nightmare...

The clinic want us to assume the gas costs, damages, traffic tickets, patient's accidents (into my car*), and the rolling of my own car since they didn't have their cars. Of course, I assumed all of these because It was kind of a good business for me at first glance especially on account of "independent contractor" but it was a mistake. I didn't want to resign just to not lose my due checks;yet I was fired to my surprise because according to the manager " she didn't get along with me well" which is totally false. Can you imagine bearing not being paid for months and then being fired at the end without two checks ***MOD CUT***? No way!

To sum up I think is not because the bad wages but the Miamian's arrogant attitude. There is no reason to give bad service just by the agency of bad paid. In despite me being bad paid I gave a good service and keep a good mood.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: English Only.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM

60 posts, read 96,030 times
Default AngelScorpio

And it shows that you hail from a Latin American country...before you start dissing entire cultural groups (in this case the Cuban clique), learn how to structure a sentence and write or express yourself in the grammatically correct form because you are destroying the English language. Your hatred and ignorance of specific groups is only a reflection of your own insecurities and will get you nowhere in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami