Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 AM

353 posts, read 814,194 times

Advertisements

Gets old fast if you ask me...Living in Miami feels like living on a small island that's over populated with little to no resources left....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM

471 posts, read 850,783 times
Not if you are coming from Europe. Give me crowds anyday over typical American suburban sprawl anyday.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 39,088 times
Personally, I like Philly. Used to have a client base there and visited twice a month for 2 years from DC. Couldn't live there, though. Urban sprawl at its worst. Traffic is horrible. And it's not the nicest looking city on the block. But I can understand why people love it.

However, you see, plenty of people complain about everywhere. People just complain. That's what we do. There's even a 'I hate Philly' website.

Philly Sucks | Hating on Philadelphia is always in style!
Trip Report — I Hate Philadelphia (Part 3) | Nolan Dalla
http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...te-philly.html
The Most Racist City in America: Philadelphia?

Bottom line, go where you love to be. If Miami isn't for you, cool. It's for someone else. I might be in your shoes this time next year and want to move back to DC, Charlotte, or Seattle. :-)

Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
I don't hate Miami I just hate living here....I love vacationing here though....Does anyone feel this way? I've lived here for a while, years wise... Don't get me wrong...beautiful city...pretty clean in most parts...but between spending more of your life stuck in traffic...both on the road and in foot traffic when entering stores to buy things..it seems just too stressful on top of it being fairly expensive.... esp rent and electric bill esp in the summer...It just seems one spends most of their life here trying to get around and get things done at a standard time knowing its pretty difficult to pull off....Miami is like living on a small island with a huge population but little to no more resources left...or space for that matter....
Miami to me feels like One big suburban area not a city....Kendall,Hialeah,Miami lakes.coral gables,Brickell, all the same to me...I miss a true blue collar city with excellent public transportation.... I don't know if Miami will ever be up to par with enabling its residents to get around easier without always depending on a vehicle or to at least lessen the insane traffic here that looks like a parade everyday...it does not seem like building more lanes is helping much esp if more people are moving in than moving out....I guess it will be a sight to see one day when they create some form of train or trolley lines that circle all of Miami...I guess most will have to wait...but I personal rather deal with a cold chill day where seasons change standing out waiting on a bus or train in a suit and tie than a hot super humid summer day any day in Miami fl...just my Opinion
I think after seeing so many palm trees dirty beaches and suburban sprawl, I don't think I will ever miss this city. Maybe some of the food, hispanic vibe and the mild weather in the winter. I am not really a beach person, I didn't grow up in a coastal town so I doubt I would come here for vacation.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I think after seeing so many palm trees dirty beaches and suburban sprawl, I don't think I will ever miss this city. Maybe some of the food, hispanic vibe and the mild weather in the winter. I am not really a beach person, I didn't grow up in a coastal town so I doubt I would come here for vacation.
Dirty beaches??? Isn't it been considered America's cleanest city for years in a row?!

America's Cleanest Cities - Forbes

Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
and philly has great public transportation,buses and subways and trains...and trollies
Philly look like one big ghetto travelling on I-95, I am sure it has nice areas but a city that makes you want to keep on driving through sight on sight, whereas I loved Pittsburgh with the hills.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:50 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
It's 5F in Chicago, 14F in NY, and mid 70's in Miami pushing into the 80s by the afternoon. That is all.
You said the problem right there,it's almost 80 in February,if it's that warm in February how do you deal with April through October when it's 88-95 almost every day.Today was a near perfect day,not a cloud in the sky and highs in the low 70's ,for me at least I just don't like how long the heat lasts here,that along with the traffic,how overpriced it is and the quality and attitudes of a big percentage of the population.I've always thought Miami is not the worst place to live but it's far,very far from ideal.I live here but always waiting for the opportunity to get out.When eventually I do move away,I would have no problem visiting Miami,but it will be between November and March.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM

I love it

Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM

302 posts, read 452,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
You said the problem right there,it's almost 80 in February,if it's that warm in February how do you deal with April through October when it's 88-95 almost every day.Today was a near perfect day,not a cloud in the sky and highs in the low 70's ,for me at least I just don't like how long the heat lasts here,that along with the traffic,how overpriced it is and the quality and attitudes of a big percentage of the population.I've always thought Miami is not the worst place to live but it's far,very far from ideal.I live here but always waiting for the opportunity to get out.When eventually I do move away,I would have no problem visiting Miami,but it will be between November and March.
Interesting. As someone from Chicago, I would love to get better weather throughout those months, especially after the really rough winter we had. With that stated, I never considered any city outside of Southern California for the simple fact of humidity. I can't deal with it. The more I think about it, if I'm on the beach, I probably could deal with it, no problem.

Price wise, Miami is on par with Chicago, so I don't care there. Some things are pricey, but nothing that would bother me.

Jobs wise, I've had 2 companies that have offered me jobs with no experience to come down there.

Traffic is probably the best out of any big city (NYC, Chicago, LA).

My only reason I really will stay away is the threat of a hurricane. I don't know what I would do with my two boys if one hit.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
I just moved here (6 months ago) because my boyfriend wanted to be closer to his parents (in west palm beach - which i LOVE it there) we lived in New York and Nashville - which are amazingly AWESOME CITIES.... but.....Miami....... IT IS RIDICULOUS. The little time I have been here I have managed to come across the rudest people with no sophistication or etiquette I have ever met. I don't know Spanish so therefore getting a job i am OVERLY qualified for is completely OUT-OF-THE-QUESTION. Its so beyond racist here. Basically if you're white - you're f-ed. simple as that. Miami is the devils a-hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami