U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM

21 posts, read 25,256 times

Advertisements

I am Italian, in my early 30s and I am planning to relocate to the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area and would like to get in contact with Italians who permanently live there. I currently live in Chicago, IL.

I know that there isn't any Italian association or organization, so I decided to post here.

I am also interested in getting in contact with (non-Italian) people who are into the Italian language/culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:20 PM

823 posts, read 860,407 times
I like Italian food, does that count? :-)

Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 AM

6,600 posts, read 10,664,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effenberg View Post
... Miami ... area ... and would like to get in contact with Italians who permanently live there.

I know that there isn't any Italian association or organization, so I decided to post here.
Well, there are the Italian Consulate and Societą Dante Alighieri in Coral Gables, and the Italy-America Chamber of Commerce downtown.

There used to be an association - circolo culturale or somesuch - spawning from the diplomatic/business community and even funded by the Italian government, but - you guessed it - it folded several years ago due to corruption allegations.

Most Italian business in Miami revolves around yachting, hotels, restaurants, and fashion, some related to furnishing, mainly ceramics and marble for floors and walls, kitchens and bathrooms, several specializing in interior design, and one or two specializing in decorative mosaics, then the usual lawyers, accountants, bankers, insurers, realtors, and importers/exporters.

A public school in Coral Gables/Coconut Grove - Washington Carver Elementary and Middle School - offers a program in Italian language and culture, in some way approved by the Ministry of Education, and there is a parents' association in connection with that.

Otherwise, for the most part, Italians in Miami are concentrated in Miami Beach, and, as far as I know, there are a few scattered in the Coral Gables/Dadeland/Pinecrest area.

So your best bet is to come to Miami Beach, walk around, and spark up conversation with people speaking Italian, which is not too hard to find there.

In bocca al lupo!

Last edited by bale002; 02-23-2014 at 04:04 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM

419 posts, read 699,589 times
Italian in Miami here. Working in finance in Brickell. Most Italians are in Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, Aventura, Brickell and Coral Gables. Lots of Italians in Boca Raton too.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,290,646 times
There are many Italian- American associations in the area, including Miami & Ft. Lauderdale. . Here's a list- scroll through. Maybe with one or more you'll be comfortable- good luck

Southeast

Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Well, there are the Italian Consulate and Societą Dante Alighieri in Coral Gables, and the Italy-America Chamber of Commerce downtown.
Ciao, thank you for the general information, it gives me a picture which is practically what I was guessing. So your information confirms my thoughts.

I know about the Consolato and Istituto Italiano di Cultura and the Camera, but I am not looking for services, I do not own a business. I am trying to network with people.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Italian in Miami here. Working in finance in Brickell. Most Italians are in Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, Aventura, Brickell and Coral Gables. Lots of Italians in Boca Raton too.
Hi there. I have been to Brickell and Coral Gables too. Thank you for your reply.

Do the Italians you know live permanently in the Miami area, or are they staying temporarily (for short- time work, study, tourism, leisure) ? I heard most Italians just come and go, do casual/temporary jobs, meaning they are not a steady presence in Miami.

May I also ask you what kind of jobs the Italians you know, do?

Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
There are many Italian- American associations in the area, including Miami & Ft. Lauderdale. . Here's a list- scroll through. Maybe with one or more you'll be comfortable- good luck

Southeast
Thank you!! Good to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or