Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 AM

663 posts, read 503,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Florida's Stand Your Ground law ceased to apply to you the moment you posted that last post. You pretty much gave them all the information they need to send you to the electric chair, should you choose to use that right. You should think about trying some anger management classes instead.
Given that an RPG is not allowed I suggest that you bring a machete in your car. But the car is your best weapon. Make sure you got tinted windows and your car is rather large, preferably an SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
MH, the issue isn't with the width of the roads but the fact that these roads pass through complex, populated areas where the higher speeds don't give you enough reaction time. Even if it gave you enough reaction time because you commute through every day, how about the tourist or inexperienced or elderly driver beside you? Not everybody on the road is just passing through--there is such a thing as LOCAL traffic, and these roads do have actual DESTINATIONS along them! 50 mph would be appropriate for Kendall Drive if it were passing through an agricultural area. In the country many 2 lane roads have 50-60 mph speeds with no issues.

The Dolphin has curves and large, complex interchanges and of course the distraction of the airport, which makes 70 mph not feasible, at least until we get fully self-driving cars. Again, human reaction time! I-95 has been changed to 11 ft lanes to add in the express lanes, and 70-80 mph would hardly be appropriate there. The MacAuthur has traffic lights, bike lanes, city busses, and residents living along it and turning on/off it, as well as Jungle Island and the merging traffic from the truck tunnel which is about to open. If anything, the limit needs to come down to at least 45 there. In residential areas people are not just confined to inside their houses and cars, people actually get out and walk, jog, and bike, children actually play and walk or bike to/from school. So 35-40 mph would is definitely NOT be appropriate in residential areas. Residential areas are not alternate routes for the expressway or US1! In dense commercial districts like Brickell, Coconut Grove, and South Miami, you generally find many pedestrians who do need to cross the street. 25 mph is quite appropriate in this situation, besides, this generally only spans a few blocks and doesn't increase car travel times much at all. There are dozens of other traffic conditions in Miami that will cost you much, much more time than having to drive at 25 mph for a couple blocks--so leave early next time...or move closer!
you forget the purpose of the speed limit. The speed limit isn't 2 accommodate the slower drivers or tourists by making all of us drive as slow as them. It's to allow the 85th percentile of traffic to travel at a speed that they feel safe with. so if we take 20 drivers and ask how many of them are comfortable with a speed limit of 60mph on the MacArthur and even if only 3 drivers said they were comfortable with it then the speed limit would be justified. but now we have a situation where speed limits have fallen below the 50th percentile which has caused many people including to feel like speed limits are actually the minimum or at the least just a suggestion. As for you point of reaction time I normally drive this fast on city roads and in the case of expressways drive much faster, I have yet to get a ticket or get into a car accident. Speed is not the problem it's drivers being distracted that is the problem. unlike most people I don't have music on when driving nor am I talking on the phone. when I am driving that is the only thing I am doing which is why I have no problems going 100mph on the palmetto.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
you forget the purpose of the speed limit. The speed limit isn't 2 accommodate the slower drivers or tourists by making all of us drive as slow as them. It's to allow the 85th percentile of traffic to travel at a speed that they feel safe with. so if we take 20 drivers and ask how many of them are comfortable with a speed limit of 60mph on the MacArthur and even if only 3 drivers said they were comfortable with it then the speed limit would be justified. but now we have a situation where speed limits have fallen below the 50th percentile which has caused many people including to feel like speed limits are actually the minimum or at the least just a suggestion. As for you point of reaction time I normally drive this fast on city roads and in the case of expressways drive much faster, I have yet to get a ticket or get into a car accident. Speed is not the problem it's drivers being distracted that is the problem. unlike most people I don't have music on when driving nor am I talking on the phone. when I am driving that is the only thing I am doing which is why I have no problems going 100mph on the palmetto.
You make decent points about what the purpose of the speed limit is.

However, I don't care how good of a driver you are. Unless you are going 100mph at 3am on a Wednesday Morning (even then it is dumb) driving 100mph on the Palmetto is idiotic and you are a danger to the community. If you said 80mph fine, I give you a pass. Even I drive 80 sometimes. But 100 on the Palmetto? Not smart.

I-75? The Turnpike? Sure. The Palmetto is not meant for those speeds. Especially with the bridges which impedes you visibility tremendously at those speeds.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

However, I don't care how good of a driver you are. Unless you are going 100mph at 3am on a Wednesday Morning (even then it is dumb) driving 100mph on the Palmetto is idiotic and you are a danger to the community. If you said 80mph fine, I give you a pass. Even I drive 80 sometimes. But 100 on the Palmetto? Not smart.

I-75? The Turnpike? Sure. The Palmetto is not meant for those speeds. Especially with the bridges which impedes you visibility tremendously at those speeds.
after the 874 breaks off from the palmetto it's flat and str8 until around 80st that is where I go 100. As you go north on the palmetto it get's harder to drive fast till you get to the 836 exchange which at that point 60-65mph is the best you can do. I know where I can fly and where I can't...

Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

However, I don't care how good of a driver you are. Unless you are going 100mph at 3am on a Wednesday Morning (even then it is dumb) driving 100mph on the Palmetto is idiotic and you are a danger to the community.
Unless you happen to hit the random pothole or piece of road debris which you didn't see because you're doing 100 ..or even 80... at 3 am... Granted, this hasn't happened *yet* because you're still alive to post this, but it only takes once... Our urban highways are simply not built for, and are definitely not maintained for, these speeds. Now if we want to pay the taxes to maintain our country roads to German standards, then I can see where autobahn speeds are viable.

The main purpose of speed limits is public safety, not to accommodate drivers who may have drag raced in the past...

Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
after the 874 breaks off from the palmetto it's flat and str8 until around 80st that is where I go 100.
In the course of those two miles, you saved a grand total of 30 seconds compared with driving at 60. Way to go!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Unless you happen to hit the random pothole or piece of road debris which you didn't see because you're doing 100 ..or even 80... at 3 am... Granted, this hasn't happened *yet* because you're still alive to post this, but it only takes once... Our urban highways are simply not built for, and are definitely not maintained for, these speeds. Now if we want to pay the taxes to maintain our country roads to German standards, then I can see where autobahn speeds are viable.

The main purpose of speed limits is public safety, not to accommodate drivers who may have drag raced in the past...
we don't need to pay more taxes. we simply need to get rid of the ridiculous amounts of corruption in our local and state gov.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
we don't need to pay more taxes. we simply need to get rid of the ridiculous amounts of corruption in our local and state gov.
Amen to that.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
In the course of those two miles, you saved a grand total of 30 seconds compared with driving at 60. Way to go!
When you own a Ferrari and you want to show off on Collins Ave, you try your 0-60mph performance. You want people to hear that roar.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Hey, I never heard a conservative say that. They say no more taxes without talking about corruption per se. Corruption is a taboo word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami