Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 AM

116 posts, read 174,878 times

Advertisements

we currently live in NY on the water and have been schooled in flooding, hurricanes, FEMA etc over the past 3 years. As you know, not much fun.

Our daughter has moved to south east Florida and more than likely will be starting a family there with in the next couple of years. We are considering a move to be closer to her and the future them!
I have just started my research and thought this forum might be of some help.

Without consideration to FEMA maps etc...I like areas like Coral Gables...Old Northwood in Palm Beach...Wilton Manors, Broward, Florida....I don't see me as a golf community type.... yet from a flood/safety stand point they, large development golf type places, appear-to be more inland and I would guess "safer"?

Any thoughts on where I might find the aesthetic I prefer without being directly in the worst areas from a FEMA point of view?

Thanks in advance,

Yasadora
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Any place in southeast Florida is vunerable to flooding. Move to where ever you like and if you are buying a home get Flood Insurance whether you are in a "flood zone" or not. Don't let a mortgage company tell you it's not needed in the area you are buying in.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,417 times
Be careful...flooding due to sea level rise is expected to come in from both the bay and the Everglades, plus there are growing concerns with sinkholes, so you wouldn't want to be too far inland. But the Gables and Wilton Manors are not bad, I just wouldn't want to be much west of the Turnpike and I-75. Try to buy a house that is somewhat elevated from the street level, and definitely get flood insurance. And remember, the "golf community" wouldn't be much good if its surroundings are flooded!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Southeast Florida rarely gets the flooding you think of when you see floods in NJ or in the middle of the country. We are over an aquifer. We are also bordered by the ocean/bay and the Everglades. Water moves in and moves out of the most part. You don't need to worry about have 4-6 feet of water in your home. In the last 25 years I think the worst has been maybe a foot or two possibly in isolated locations.

So if you are thinking flooding as in water up to the ceiling don't worry that hasn't happened in the Miami area in a very long time. I guess the Hurricane which breached the Lake O's levies is the last time. That was in the 1920s and that was not near Miami.

But with hurricanes and frequent rain storms water damager does occur so flood insurance is needed and of course wind storm insurance is a must.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM

400 posts, read 515,361 times
I've also been doing research. Combining the green areas in the Neighborhood-O-Meter of this Forum, the Zone X in FEMA Flood Maps, Google Maps Street View, and my price range in Zillow. It got a little complicated but was able to put together a list of ZIP Codes that have all of the above. To complicate it even more, only sections within each ZIP Code have all qualities.

I recently spoke to a Realtor in Dade County and was pleasantly surprised that maybe I can afford a place in Palmetto Bay or Cutler Bay, which would put me about a mile and a half from the Biscayne Bay and right into the area where Base Flood Elevations have been determined and with a "Special" Flood Hazard.

And the dilemma, do I go for the nice area, or stick to the Zone X ones (lesser risk of flood, not as nice but still very good areas).

Reading all the comments from the residents that have went thru Hurricane Andrew, and brief mentions of Frances, Jeanne and Wilma (2004 and 2005), like someone said not that the flood is going to be up to your roof and expect more damage from the wind.

Take the risk of definite flood hazard or not?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM

361 posts, read 836,940 times
That's the problem I have, most of the nice houses are in AE zones ...
Is there a big difference of flood insurance costs between AE (east of US1) and X zones ?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM

If I understood it right, in a Zone X, Flood Insurance is not mandatory. So in that sense it costs less than in an A Zone.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM

361 posts, read 836,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
If I understood it right, in a Zone X, Flood Insurance is not mandatory. So in that sense it costs less than in an A Zone.
Yes but even if you are in a X zone, it's very recommended to take one, that's why I was wondering the cost difference between the 2 zones ...

Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM

12 posts, read 39,101 times
X zones are designated for flood risks as being slim to none, if that makes sense. However, personally I would buy insurance if it worries you that much. Depending on where you live, maybe your HOA or Condo HOA might pay for this, check it out. Think this though, those financial institutions and insurance companies would all be in favor for a non-x zone. If they could not place ur property (through "means" those folks might know), then you can rest assured you are doing pretty well and you can roll your pants down now. Last statement is just a fashion statement kinda thing. On a PS note though, only you will know best if your neighborhood is at flood risk. Check out your local or state governmental agencies and do a little google.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 PM

I've never been in Florida during a storm, but since I am planning to move there, I continue to ponder all the possibilities. In a Zone X, and shaded White the risk is closer to none. So the peace of mind would be more on the less than 0.2% chance of flood in 100 years than from paying for flood insurance.
So, still on the Zone X, the statistics of damage are higher from wind that from surge flood, so - just thinking without actual experience - a proper roof and window shutters could also lower the risk.

Also, from what I read, constructions since 1995 (I may have the wrong year) are, by code, required to be elevated higher than the "Base Flood Elevation".

And a question for Residents with insurance, do the Insurance Companies separate general home insurance, wind and flood, so someone could pick and choose in a zone where flood insurance is not required?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami