Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 AM

683 posts, read 853,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack86 View Post
I talked to someone in Miami and they were annoyed while they were in Georgia because everyone kept asking her how she was doing and if she needed any help. I never realized how much I would miss it till I moved here.

Once again, I knew Miami was heavily Spanish speaking. I just didn't realize how little I would enjoy it. I thought it would be an enriching experience. I guess so far it is, because I'm learning about a new place, but two years is enough. It's time for me to go back to a city where I don't need to do charades and point when I'm at the deli. It's not even that I can't get by, but rather I can't have effective communications. I don't know. It's the little things. I get it when I'm at school, but not when I'm at the store..
So you are from GA? I hated Atlanta. LOL I lived there two years. The segregation from both sides killed me. Plus it was way too gay. I'm far from homophobic, but I was like damn. Male and female was on that **** when I lived there. No doubt you can come up quick there as far as cost of living and jobs. Socially I didn't like it. I did make friends their who I am still in contact now.

FYI anybody from the (True) South hates Miami. I've encountered plenty people from Texas, NC, GA, and Alabama that didn't like it down here. They moved back. I give them props like anybody else that didn't like it but moved back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 AM

113 posts, read 220,078 times
I'm actually from Central Florida, though I can see how my last post can lead you to believe otherwise. I wouldn't call it the real South. I wouldn't call Florida the real South except for the panhandle. But yeah, it is too fast and crowded.
I've met some people from the real south down here as well. They didn't like it either.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack86 View Post
I'm actually from Central Florida, though I can see how my last post can lead you to believe otherwise. I wouldn't call it the real South. I wouldn't call Florida the real South except for the panhandle. But yeah, it is too fast and crowded.
I've met some people from the real south down here as well. They didn't like it either.
I've lived in central FL. Melbourne to be exact. Now I could appreciate that place being older. The problem is there is no jobs.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I get it, but don't at the same time. In these times you can get a lot of education about a place via the Internet. If you see the same thing over and over that you may not like being written about a place by different people than some truth must be there.

I mean when you move. You should take the time and spend time in a place. Don't do a weekend vacation. Actually spend several weeks at a time in a place. Many people just do the fun things when they go to a city. They don't get up and see how the traffic is. They don't set up their resume before they come and try to get interviews. Recruiters are always calling people about jobs. You can do interviews to get a vibe about workplaces in a city.

First thing out of people's mouth is SOBE, when they talk about Miami. They don't realize that SOBE is primarily tourists and nothing like the rest of Miami. I talked to some girls that wanted to move to Miami from Portland. I let them know that SOBE isn't like the rest of Miami. I actually kept in touch with them. I told them that Broward would be a better fit and just enjoy Miami's festivities. They didn't listen. Moved here and hated Miami. They ended up moving to Broward and had a way better experience. But still loved Miami to go out.
I am the opposite. I lived in Broward and hated it with a passion. Moved to Miami and actually loved it. But I guess it depends on where you live in Miami exactly. But that is true of any city. I lived all over Broward, just wasn't my cup of tea. With that said, you are right, people should take complaints under advisement if a number of people are saying the same things.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM

19 posts, read 22,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
1) Huge Cuban population. I like Cuban people, but their culture tends to isolate against outsiders. I never really felt welcome in Miami.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 AM

167 posts, read 246,609 times
The whole Spanish thing is completely wrong, exaggerated and everything else. I had the pleasure of experiencing nyc and most people had crazy accents, way more than miami. So stop it. I wouldn't be surprised if all this incorrect, ignorant bs is hurting not only miami, but metro miami too.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:54 AM

471 posts, read 850,933 times
No need to speak Spanish in Miami. At least no more than you would need in Houston, L.A. or San Diego.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 PM

167 posts, read 246,609 times
It's funny and pathetic how people here talk crap about Miami but praise other cities like Chicago, NYC, LA or what have you.

They talk crap about Miami traffic when: traffic in the cities they praise is worse.

Talk crap about drivers when: traffic in the cities they praise are worse.

Talk crap about the people/rudeness when: that is worse in the cities they praise.

Dislike the drive from the suburbs into the city when: DUH, you live in the suburbs and chose to drive, what do you expect? The farther you live from the city the longer it takes to get there. You could also take the commuter train. It's the same way in every metro area. Some metro areas have more than three counties and some way more than three, and some distances from a suburb to the city are farther than even the farthest north suburb and palm Beach to the city. You chose to live there.

I could go on and on, you get the point. I definitely think these ignorant BS has hurt and is still hurting Miami and metro Miami.

It's a shame because Miami and metro Miami have so much potential. Coastal, beaches, everglades, beach towns, suburbs, suburban beach towns, diverse, good colleges, top in the nation museums, arts, fashion, etc. modern cityscape and more, yet fools have to try and ruin it, and it's their own residents.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I am the opposite. I lived in Broward and hated it with a passion. Moved to Miami and actually loved it. But I guess it depends on where you live in Miami exactly. But that is true of any city. I lived all over Broward, just wasn't my cup of tea. With that said, you are right, people should take complaints under advisement if a number of people are saying the same things.

And I'm the opposite of you. I love Broward. lol Although I must admit I couldn't stand it years ago. It's diverse now so I guess that is one of the main reason I like it. Nothing like hanging out The Shops at Pembroke Gardens for happy hour and Bokampers in Miramar to watch the games. Hardrock to chill and gamble. Wait they didn't have all that years ago, no wonder why I like it up there now. ha ha.

Miami is always going to have the concerts and different activities, but some parts of Miami is like going into a third world country like Cuba. I don't know. The South Americans seem more classier to me.

Last edited by deboinair; 05-06-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
No need to speak Spanish in Miami. At least no more than you would need in Houston, L.A. or San Diego.
You keep posting things like this but it's apparent you really haven't been to those places. For one all of those places are bigger so everywhere is not Hispanic like here in Miami. Second the Mexicans who are the primary Hispanics in those areas like Cubans are in Miami actually put the effort to speak ENGLISH. Of course you are going to run into quite a few that don't speak English at all, but I would say you will get more English speaking Hispanics in said areas than in Miami. I've yet to go to a Safeway in LA or Diego and find that the staff doesn't speak English like the Publix off of Flagler close to Doral down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami