Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:08 AM

529 posts, read 1,138,825 times

Advertisements

Did you ever even try to get a concealed carry license in another state? How do you know it isn't different in every single location? Technically you can get a license by just firing a single blank here, maybe you don't even need to.

Quote:
4) The further inland you go, the more aggressive drivers are and the more unfriendly people are. The less likely you'll get a "Hello" from strangers as you walk by.
THANK GOD! If I had to put up with that **** again I would hang myself.

And as far as parties go and socializing I don't know why you mention cubans. I guess they're an easy target. The problem with people's way of thinking is that they think of people as groups, not individuals. Face it, you just weren't around the kind of people you wished you wanted, doesn't mean there aren't that kind of people.

If anything, having a gun in my glove compartment would make me feel safer. Once again, why is this a problem with Miami or Florida? Most Walmarts in Miami don't even carry guns or ammunition. Florida is not the only state where you can conceal carry. Go to the midwest and I assure you more Walmarts than not will have guns. I know this may scare you but if you lived in the midwest, depending on the area, it'd be perfectly common for kids to have shot guns since they were 6,7,8,9. Ask any 18 year old kid here if they have ever even touched a gun. Also for shocking to you that in some states it is completely legal to walk around a downtown street with an "assault" rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,949,882 times
OP, before you arrived weren't you aware that there was a substantial Cuban population, that it gets hot in Florida, that gun laws are different, and that it's not the same in terms of Broadway shows as NYC? Would you say all New Yorkers are friendly and open to new transplants? It seems to me some don't care for them much. Hadn't you ever looked into the things to do in the area or visited before you accepted the job? You weren't use to speeders and aggressive drivers in the New York metro area? Don't men pay for dates in NY or ever buy a nice gift for a lady they are interested in? You make a decent living and you whine about that too? There are gold digger types everywhere, by the way. The more one talks about what they got the more it will attract that type and repel the others.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:29 AM

11,137 posts, read 15,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Yup, check back in 3 months. I came here with huge expectations and loved the first 2 months I was here. Now I'm just counting the minutes until I leave.
Well, at least the OP loved Miami for a couple of months....

Huh? What's that?

The above quote isn't from this thread and the OP wasn't talking about Miami?

Ohhhh, he wrote the above post about 2 1/2 years ago when he was living in Boston!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21080351-post16.html

So the OP didn't move to Miami from NYC; he moved here from Boston. And after counting the minutes until he could leave Boston and move to Miami, he then decided that he didn't like Miami either so he moved back to the comforts of NYC where he apparently originated.

Well as Dorothy once said, there's no place like home.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,005,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
Typical leftwing NYer who is scared of guns & was rejected by Miami girls..No problem. To each his own. U get your NYC with its frozen Hudson sewer & its taxes ,we get our Miami,with our Cubans,our guns & our girls......
Wow. Stunning....
One only has to mention uneasiness about gun laws/culture and one immediately becomes "left wing"?

The NRA really does run the show in this country, don't they?
I guess I'm a proud left winger and I think I'll stay.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,329,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Name the category of things you're interested in. Shopping? Sports? Museums? Nature? Shows? Cooking/Dining? Design? Fashion? Real estate? Gambling? Working out? Wine/beer making?
That's more like it. I like shopping, love fashion. I already stated I like the exotic nature of Miami. I guess the next time I go in a few months id like to explore some dining.

Btw I am a real estate agent so you can tell me more about it because I'm thinking of extending my real estate license out there when I graduate college this spring.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,329,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You think Miami is just Cuban people and white people?
Nope, I know it's more then Cuban and white, but apparently people on your Miami forum keep mentioning Cuban and white people only, so I'm going with the flow.

When I went there I met All types of Latinos but it wasn't new to me maybe except Nicaraguans since NYC barely has any of those.

But for the most part I met all types of West Indians, Latinas and white women from various nations.

Demographics didn't seem way different then where I come from however.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:12 AM

14,799 posts, read 11,940,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Actually, in many places in the U.S., at least the nights are cooler and one can open windows to let the coolness inside. Also, cool fronts do travel from west to east, even during the summers.
But cooler nights, at least cool enough to turn off the AC and open the windows, are not the norm for Miami summers. I lived there for 38+ years, so I can see where the OP is coming from.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,091,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
But cooler nights, at least cool enough to turn off the AC and open the windows, are not the norm for Miami summers. I lived there for 38+ years, so I can see where the OP is coming from.
I've lived here 41 years....the nights in the summer are hot, sticky and miserable! Low night temps are from78° to 83°....terrible. One of the many reasons that I am moving to a 4 season climate as soon as I retire.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,788,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've lived here 41 years....the nights in the summer are hot, sticky and miserable! Low night temps are from78° to 83°....terrible. One of the many reasons that I am moving to a 4 season climate as soon as I retire.
Up north where there are 4 seasons the summers can be bad with the exception of the humidity. One thing that Miami has is a sea breeze. Summers in DC, Atlanta and Ocala can be brutal because of the lack of sea breeze. Then you have to deal with the cold weather, snow, slush, dry skin, dreary days, going from being in the heat to going outside to the cold and visa versa which cause people to get a cold. Then in the spring it is allergy season.

I am not saying Miami weather is perfect but 4 season weather could be worse.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
That's more like it. I like shopping, love fashion. I already stated I like the exotic nature of Miami. I guess the next time I go in a few months id like to explore some dining.

Btw I am a real estate agent so you can tell me more about it because I'm thinking of extending my real estate license out there when I graduate college this spring.
How did you not find any shopping?!

Aventura Mall is one of the largest in the country:
Aventura Mall | Miami

Dadeland Mall:
Dadeland Mall Mobile Website - Miami, FL 33156-7704 - Simon Malls

Dolphin Mall:
Dolphin Mall

Sawgrass Mills:
Sawgrass Mills® Mobile Website - Sunrise, FL 33323-4020 - Simon Malls

And then you have other centers, The Falls, Sunset Place, Miami International Mall, Merrick Park, Lincoln Road in Miami Beach, Bal Harbour Shops. South Florida has some of the best shopping in the country.

As for fashion, the Design District is growing rapidly,
The Miami Design District is a creative neighborhood and luxury shopping destination.
but honestly I think it needs more up and coming designers... it's somewhat overpriced.

Not sure about the license since I'm not a Realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami