Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

Some of you are funny as hell! Miami is no longer a "Cuban" majority city but more "central American" full of Nicas, Guatemalans, Hondurans, etc.
Most Cubans fled to the suburbs decades ago! Miami is no longer the "1970's Que Pasa USA" or "Scarface"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
I don't understand your post at all. I would think someone from NYC would like that most people in Miami try to mind their own business and leave you the hell alone. That's not rude. It's respect, or probably self absorption but who cares? They are leaving you the hell alone.

I would think someone from NYC would appreciate that. It's probably the most unfriendly city in the US.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,080 times
Miami is heaven man you should give it a few more years you get used to heat. Also what about the large Italian community in NYC?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305_gUy View Post
Miami is heaven man you should give it a few more years you get used to heat. Also what about the large Italian community in NYC?
I don't think it takes a few years to recognize heaven. Different strokes for different folks my man. Some people love Miami and some hate it.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
I don't understand your post at all. I would think someone from NYC would like that most people in Miami try to mind their own business and leave you the hell alone. That's not rude. It's respect, or probably self absorption but who cares? They are leaving you the hell alone.

I would think someone from NYC would appreciate that. It's probably the most unfriendly city in the US.
You are obviously not from NYC nor is anyone else who makes such weird statements. NYC isn't like that. Neighbors know each other. People on the block look out for each other. Its only savages who keep to themselves and don't bother to know their neighbors or the people in their community. It is part of the reason why this place (Miami) is run like a banana republic. Because of the lack of a cohesive community. I personally do not hate miami, but I don't have rose colored glasses on about the place either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Some of you are funny as hell! Miami is no longer a "Cuban" majority city but more "central American" full of Nicas, Guatemalans, Hondurans, etc.
Most Cubans fled to the suburbs decades ago! Miami is no longer the "1970's Que Pasa USA" or "Scarface"!
I thought Cubans weren't the majority as well, but apparently they are

link

Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You are obviously not from NYC nor is anyone else who makes such weird statements. NYC isn't like that. Neighbors know each other. People on the block look out for each other. Its only savages who keep to themselves and don't bother to know their neighbors or the people in their community. It is part of the reason why this place (Miami) is run like a banana republic. Because of the lack of a cohesive community. I personally do not hate miami, but I don't have rose colored glasses on about the place either.

I thought Cubans weren't the majority as well, but apparently they are

link
Your link just proved that Cubans aren't the "majority" in the city of Miami anymore but other hispanics are. Am I missing something?

Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 AM
N_A

21 posts, read 58,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Then why not stay in NY? To me real New Yorkers stay in New York. I have family members there, while they visited many places, they said nothing is like NY so they never left. I do recall few family members that left for the job opportunity stacked cash and moved back to NY within a three year period. I lived in several cities in the US so it's not just Miami and there is always that New Yorker saying oh this is not NY or if it were in NY it would be done like this. Move back or shut up. lol

Miami, FL is pretty much Cuba, FL at this point so this is why you say that it functions like a third world country. My advice is for people to live in Broward if they don't like the high Cuban dominated population and just enjoy the many festivities Miami has to offer.

To your side note. I also have friends from the same cities and their complaints aren't like New Yorkers. It's basically the job situation along with the mandatory bilingual requirement for a lot of jobs. Also the new "pretentious attitudes" that formed here in recent years. Not every little thing like oh this is not good Pizza. Not like NY Pizza. This mall is not good. Not like the malls in NY. This street light doesn't light like the ones in NY. LOL
New Yorkers stay complaining about stuff that is unlike their city. I live in Atlanta, and when I moved here to go to college there were plenty of New Yorkers at my school. They complained about everything that wasn't like their city. Pizza, public transit, rappers, unable to sleep at night due to it being too quiet in the neighborhoods (i.e., no gunshots, no sirens, etc.), rats too small (ok, I made that one up), even the lack of Puerto Ricans (WTH?), but especially the pizza. Annoying as hell. My sentiments were like yours, that they should go back to NY. There is no need for every place to be the same.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Your link just proved that Cubans aren't the "majority" in the city of Miami anymore but other hispanics are. Am I missing something?

The article says

Quote:
Miami is a majority Latino city -- 70 percent of its population is Hispanic. And while Cuban-Americans still comprise over half of the city's population -- 54 percent -- the city's Hispanic composition is changing. According to a Pew Hispanic report, about 13 percent of Miami-Dade's Latinos are from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Mexico, and 32 percent are from other Central and South American countries such as Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Honduras and Brazil.
Cubans make up 54 percent of the population in the city of Miami. Maybe you were confused when it said

Quote:
"Miami has a high share of foreign-born Hispanics compared with many of the other metro areas -- 66 percent of Miami’s Latinos are foreign born,” according to Eileen Patten, a research analyst at the Pew Research Center.
66% foreign born doesn't mean you are not of Cuban descent, it just means you were not born on American soil.

So if we look at the numbers, one could assume that Cuban Americas are shrinking in numbers. That is, Cubans born in Miami. However, the Cuban numbers are being replenished by new arrivals. That is how I would digest that information. But even with a 54% population of Cuban Americans, out of 100% they are still the majority.

PS

I'm not Cuban, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I just wanted to share information.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_A View Post
New Yorkers stay complaining about stuff that is unlike their city. I live in Atlanta, and when I moved here to go to college there were plenty of New Yorkers at my school. They complained about everything that wasn't like their city. Pizza, public transit, rappers, unable to sleep at night due to it being too quiet in the neighborhoods (i.e., no gunshots, no sirens, etc.), rats too small (ok, I made that one up), even the lack of Puerto Ricans (WTH?), but especially the pizza. Annoying as hell. My sentiments were like yours, that they should go back to NY. There is no need for every place to be the same.
I think for NYers (speaking as one), NYC sets the standard for what you expect out of a city. So, as long as a place meets that standard, then you are good. When you go to a place that bills itself as a "big city" and it is run like a big town, of course you are going to complain, because NYC is all you have ever known. It, in your mind (NYer) is what a city is supposed to be. I was like that with Ft. Lauderdale, I hated that damn place. But I grew to hate it so much, that moving to Miami was like a breath of fresh air. I was like ok, it's not NYC, but damn if it isn't better than Ft. Lauderdale. So i am fairly happy with Miami. Could it be better, yeah, but its light years better than Broward.

With that said, if NYers want stuff like back home, then they should put their entrepreneurial hats on and get it started. What a barbershop like the ones you find in NY, open one up. You want a good pizzeria, well start one! Either do that, or shut up, deal with it, or go home. complainers are part of the problem, we need solutions.

I applaud the OP, he knew he wasn't going to contribute to the well being of Miami. He knew it wasn't for him and bounced. He didn't stay here and complain and crap on the place to others. You gotta respect that.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 AM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_A View Post

A lot of them are an ignorant bunch is all. First off, you have to be a fool to think that a city that is smaller is going to by like a bigger city. NYC has approxiatemately a population of 8 million and Miami Dade has a population of 2.5 million. No S... Sherlock of course it's not going to be like NY. One thing about Miami is they will to you go f yourself when you start popping this NY this or that crap. The crazy part is when ask why they don't move back, they always have a stupid look on their face and come up with some lame excuse.

I think a poll be started. Which is the most annoying transplant. My money is on New Yorkers. I lived in several cities including ATL and they were always the most annoying. Others complained but never on that level. I didn't care for ATL, so I moved instead of complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami