Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,731,553 times

Advertisements

Being a 49 year old woman with hubby who is 54 we meet a lot of folks ourselves and I work from home as well.
We meet up with friends from the Miami boating club since we own a boat and often we will go as a group for fishing tours and Bimini trips.

We attend our community meeting for cutler bay and meet our nieghbors and know as few just by walking our dogs.

When my boys were younger of course we met a lot of other friends via boyscouts camping trips, And school activities.

My husband before meeting me was very involved with kite surfing and bicycle groups and he met a lot of active folks which would to bike runs to crandon park.

Miami is not for everyone but like I will say a million times it is a city were there are aspects that you hate and other areas that you love.

I travel around a lot for what I do and when I am away from Miami for a period of time I miss it terribly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:14 PM

471 posts, read 846,933 times
Miami is awesome. Europeans love it. Only anglo Americans have a problem with it.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:23 PM

471 posts, read 846,933 times
I love it when people say that all Miami has to offer is nightlife and beaches. First of all, people around the world pay loads of money to get a taste of it. Second, what do cities like Houston, Dallas, Chicago, etc have to offer that Miami doesn't have?!? San Diego for instance does not offer the same quality of beaches and night life. The only thing South Florida lacks is Mountains. Period.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM

463 posts, read 557,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Miami is awesome. Europeans love it. Only anglo Americans have a problem with it.
I'm noticing this dynamic also....Anglo Americans as a whole seem to look down on any city with a large minority presence controlling the levers of power.

Atlanta (my hometown) and Miami are the top two minority dominated cities that get a disproportionate amount of hate and derision on this site....these cities are far from perfect.....but there are way worse white dominated Rust-belt/Midwestern towns and metros in terms of quality of life and economic opportunity that get nowhere near the mockery ATL and Miami get....gee I wonder why

To me it seems like they just don't like places that are "different" than your typical All-American city, even though these Whatevertowns, USA comprise pretty much the 99% of the country. Why not just move to the many other available alternatives and let Miami be Miami?

Last edited by go-getta-J; 03-30-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM

224 posts, read 320,050 times
Quote:
I love it when people say that all Miami has to offer is nightlife and beaches. First of all, people around the world pay loads of money to get a taste of it. Second, what do cities like Houston, Dallas, Chicago, etc have to offer that Miami doesn't have?!? San Diego for instance does not offer the same quality of beaches and night life. The only thing South Florida lacks is Mountains. Period.
exactly. colorado/utah are the only states worth visiting for winter sports anyway.

the rest of america, it's just landscape.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:12 PM

In defense of the Anglo, white non Hispanic, I will say the lack of manners pisses me off and I am CUBAN. My parents tell me this was NOT the norm when they were in Cuba, but it was this Fidel first in line gets the only thing that is offered that made them this way.

It explains the lack of personal space and the manners, no excuse I know, but when I hate to say this... When it is not brought to attention because they are surrounded by like minded folks, they will not change.

It saddened me that my culture which was rich with so many intellectual men and women that were of high intelligence are reduced to this.

I will not go into the Latin American insulting lack of manners because I am not ONE of them, but they **** me off as well.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 PM

Btw OP you won't encounter this behavior in brickell but you will get the Latin American behavior. Newly lottery Cubans are in my old area westchester, perrine, Westwood lakes and my place Olympia heights.

Very happy in Cutler bay east of Useless 1.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,519,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
i've lived/traveled all over the planet, and miami is the easily one of the best cities in the entire world. i love this place with every ounce of my existence, from the very bottom of my heart. it's paradise (this is coming from someone who usually gets sick of a place within six months).

i think that a lot of people who "hate" miami have never lived abroad and that most americans don't know how to deal with culture shock. it completely catches them off guard. they feel out of place in a city that speaks spanish more than english. that has a tremendously different culture/vibe than the rest of america, mostly caribbean/latin american with a good amount of european influence. it's a really cosmopolitan place like nowhere else in this country. also, i noticed many of them are uncomfortable being a minority. most are probably racist as well. the speed of life is much more relaxed here as well, that seems to get them really worked up, lmfao!

so they sit around here and make up little excuses, lists, reasons, etc. why miami is a "bad" place. the problem is with everyone else, not them (in their minds). the fact is, they never acclimated to life. it probably doesn't help that we have a ridiculously high concentration of wealthy people here, so if they don't come here with a ton of $$$ they might feel inferior/left out/etc.

i'll tell you right now, 99.9% of that is pure nonsense.

it's ridiculously easy to make friends here, people are very nice, you get used to the weather in a few months, traffic isn't bad (especially compared to places like los angeles), crime isn't rampant like people make it out to be, etc. they just over-dramatize everything as an excuse.

really? you're going to leave a city because you perceive other drivers as being "too aggressive"?

i remember coming here straight from texas, where everyone drove like 5-10 miles under the limit on the highway. here, go 5-10 miles over the limit on 95 and cars will just fly by you. after a few months you get adjusted and traffic becomes normal.

they cry about how things were done "back home" and try to change miami to suit their version of reality. that's a losing battle to say the least, lmfao! when in rome...
Thank you for your wonderfull post! Miami is not for the "faint of heart"! If you are not "open minded" and "tolerant" of other cultures then stay where you are! Miami is a thriving dynamic and diverse city. If you come to Miami expecting "Wal-Mart" America, apple pie and the "Star Spangled banner" being sung everywhere you go? Go home! Don't even bother!
Miami might not be very "American" but it is "Uniquecally American"! Que paso America?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,794,842 times
^^ I hate to break it to you Cubanchic but Cutler Bay is also full of Cubans.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM

231 posts, read 383,709 times
Quote:
I enjoy living in South Florida and there are some things I love and some things I hate about Miami. However, Miami is an economic weakling compared to Houston, Dallas, and Chicago. San Diego is a smaller city than Miami but a least it has some inkling of a biotech industry. Houston, Dallas, and Chicago are home to a number of fortune 500 companies, while Miami has only has a few. Chicago features major commodity exchanges while Houston and Dallas are the capitals of the energy industry.

Now I'm sure someone is going to say how Miami is the gateway to Latin America and try to promote this as something wonderful. In reality Miami is mostly a financial gateway for wealthy Latin Americans to enter the United States. Miami also serves as a regional office center dedicated to Latin America for companies headquartered elsewhere. Houston with its petroleum industry also has significant ties to Latin America. I wouldn't be surprised if more cargo trade goes between the port of Houston from Latin America than between Miami's port and Latin America. It's also funny how the largest Companies in Miami including World Fuel Systems and Ryder Systems were here long before Miami was the "Capital of Latin America" and they are obviously focused on a lot more than just doing business in Latin America.

Bottom line is Miami does not have the major corporations and major industries other large U.S. cities have and this has always been the city's greatest weakness. I know there have been articles written in the past about young people leaving Miami because the city just doesn't have the high quality entry level jobs that other U.S. cities have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami