U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM
 
8,211 posts, read 11,932,798 times
Reputation: 18044

Advertisements

Officially, the service is “temporarily suspended until further notice.”


Metrobus service halted on Venetian Causeway over bridge trouble - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com

Venetian Causeway bridge woes detour Metrobus service from our islands | Belle Isle Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2014, 10:30 AM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,898,195 times
Reputation: 1990
Who's stupid decision was this? Are there no smaller buses that can be swapped with other routes until the issue is resolved? What about the para transit buses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 AM
 
10,261 posts, read 12,289,565 times
Reputation: 14153
That will be a disaster for the boat show shuttle between Sea Isle and the Convention center. They make like a couple hundred trips per day moving people back and forth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM
 
2,888 posts, read 4,717,114 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
That will be a disaster for the boat show shuttle between Sea Isle and the Convention center. They make like a couple hundred trips per day moving people back and forth
Who pays to go to the boat show, after seeing the tenth boat they all look the same and seem rather repetitious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 PM
 
10,261 posts, read 12,289,565 times
Reputation: 14153
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Who pays to go to the boat show, after seeing the tenth boat they all look the same and seem rather repetitious.
95,000 people attended this year, 102k last year but they attributed the terrible weather wrecking havoc on air travel as the culprit. At $20 a ticket it is almost 2mm in ticket revenue alone!

Miami Boat Show echoes rebound for industry | Boating Industry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
 
2,888 posts, read 4,717,114 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
95,000 people attended this year, 102k last year but they attributed the terrible weather wrecking havoc on air travel as the culprit. At $20 a ticket it is almost 2mm in ticket revenue alone!

Miami Boat Show echoes rebound for industry | Boating Industry
Yeah, I know. I just don't understand why attendance is so high. $20 to see overpriced boats that they are hoping that you buy is too much. The car show is the same thing. They should both be free. Do you have to pay to enter a dealership or store? The manufactures should cover the entire cost. Sorry for my off topic rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,828,779 times
Reputation: 11141
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
That will be a disaster for the boat show shuttle between Sea Isle and the Convention center. They make like a couple hundred trips per day moving people back and forth
Well, maybe that's why the bridges are being damaged to the point that the heavy traffic has to be curtailed? Infrastructure isn't forever and heavy use has its consequences.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-14-2014 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Please don't use red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
 
2,888 posts, read 4,717,114 times
Reputation: 1858
The bridges are being damaged due to three primary factors, age, close proximity to the ocean, and buses and trucks being larger today than they were when the bridges were originally designed and built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 09:17 AM
 
10,261 posts, read 12,289,565 times
Reputation: 14153
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Yeah, I know. I just don't understand why attendance is so high. $20 to see overpriced boats that they are hoping that you buy is too much. The car show is the same thing. They should both be free. Do you have to pay to enter a dealership or store? The manufactures should cover the entire cost. Sorry for my off topic rant.
Look at it as "entertainment".....all day for $20 is a good value!

I agree with the rest of your statement though.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 AM
 
10,261 posts, read 12,289,565 times
Reputation: 14153
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The bridges are being damaged due to three primary factors, age, close proximity to the ocean, and buses and trucks being larger today than they were when the bridges were originally designed and built.

100% right. This is why places like Star Island are not really gated (yes they have a gate but you can drive right in due to the public streets/public park). The big issue is the bridge expense, the residents don't want to pay to fix them (millions of dollars) so if they are public streets then the city has to pay the repair/rebuild costs. Lots of infrastructure in America is falling apart, built after WW2 and not really maintained like they should have been since they were finished.

Salt water is never good for steel encased in concrete!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top