Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,408,510 times

Advertisements

Hello guys my friend is moving to Coconut Grove his apartment is on 27th Avenue just south of US1/Metrorail. How is that area of the Grove? I'm mostly familiar just the Cocowalk area. I know its full of apartments just curious about the safety there. I plan to leave my car at his apartment and take the metrorail whenever I plan to visit Brickell or Downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,301,516 times
Its isn't bad. A LOT of repair work going on there. They are making 27th a "gateway" road into the Grove, so they are working on improving it right now. The smaller older apartments are a little "seedy" but I have never seen police out there or whatever. You and your friend should be perfectly fine.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,914,537 times
I'd be more worried about safety from a traffic standpoint than a crime standpoint.

A lot of the parking seems like it requires backing up into traffic. I would definitely avoid this situation. Left turn queue from US1 on to 27th often backs up into the travel lanes, so you'll see lots of illegal lane changes and left turns from the travel lanes. Quite a bit of missing or too narrow sidewalk issues along that stretch, and very few crosswalks. Hopefully the "gateway" project will make it a more pleasant walk around the neighborhood between the station and Cocowalk, as well as adding some bike lanes, as opposed to just repaving it black! Crossing US1 is still going to be a PITA, though.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I'd be more worried about safety from a traffic standpoint than a crime standpoint.

A lot of the parking seems like it requires backing up into traffic. I would definitely avoid this situation. Left turn queue from US1 on to 27th often backs up into the travel lanes, so you'll see lots of illegal lane changes and left turns from the travel lanes. Quite a bit of missing or too narrow sidewalk issues along that stretch, and very few crosswalks. Hopefully the "gateway" project will make it a more pleasant walk around the neighborhood between the station and Cocowalk, as well as adding some bike lanes, as opposed to just repaving it black! Crossing US1 is still going to be a PITA, though.
Maaaaaan let me tell you about that BS left hand turn onto US1 from 27th. They need to sort that light out, like yesterday! I NEVER take that way unless I am forced to. They are working on making 27th a lot more user friendly both car and pedestrian wise. I think it will all be done by June.

Here is a partial rendering

Old 04-25-2014, 11:46 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,914,537 times
What what's with that funny elongated roundabout thing that nobody knows how to properly navigate?

They obviously don't have a clue about biking since what they seem to want is for bikers to get off the bike lane and use a narrow sidewalk with pedestrians and multiple zig-zags to get through the "cluster-about." Especially since the road is plenty wide for proper bike lanes, I assure you, no experienced biker is going to get on the sidewalk there.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
What what's with that funny elongated roundabout thing that nobody knows how to properly navigate?

They obviously don't have a clue about biking since what they seem to want is for bikers to get off the bike lane and use a narrow sidewalk with pedestrians and multiple zig-zags to get through the "cluster-about." Especially since the road is plenty wide for proper bike lanes, I assure you, no experienced biker is going to get on the sidewalk there.
it is a odd design, isn't it.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,365,523 times
That area is fine aside from the aforementioned construction going on at the moment.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 AM

Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami