Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM

24 posts, read 108,937 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
Probably moving to Miami in January coming from Dubai, UAE. Fretting over the usual things- housing, school, safety, saving money...

Firstly, salary wise- can a family of 4 (2 children, 4 yrs and 16 mths) live decently on $120,000 AND save money? I'd like to send our 4yr old to a french school, thus private ($8000 yr). Would like to live in a 4 bedroom house (yikes) due to numerous visitors we are guaranteed to have. My man will be working downtown and the school seems to be near University of Miami 33143. Would like to live in between because my husband is an avid cyclist and would love to get back on his back to commute to work (realistic?) therefore we'd also only need one car.

Believe it or not we are quite frugal overall. I am very concerned about cost of housing- would we be better to rent or buy? Insurance sounds outrageous, but don't want to pay a fortune for rent either. Sounds like I want it all but I just want to be realistic.

Thanks and am curious/nervous for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
1. on that salary you should be able to hold the fort down pretty well.

2. unless you are living downtown, your man/husband would NOT want to cycle to work unless he has had his sweat glands removed. He will show up at work filthy. it is extremely humid down here

3. Do NOT buy a house now. The housing market here is in the process of going down hill. Let it bottom out and then buy something, more bang for your buck.

be VERY careful about renting a house right now. Some places are going into fore closure and tenants have been kicked out in the process.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
I agree with WildStyle. Do NOT buy a house just yet. the real estate market is going down right now. 2008 is expected to get worse. You may find a good deal if you wait it out. Plus, i think it's a bad idea to buy in your 1st year when you are just getting to know the place. Feel out the different neighborhoods first. You may even end up moving elsewhere. You never know. Other than that, come on over to the U.S. and enjoy the Florida sunshine.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Thank you for your responses. I have been checking real estate on the web and am shocked at what I see for the price. I am having difficulty finding a site that will give me a good selection for rentals. We prefer a house as I am fed up living in an apartment. What are some of the best websites for rentals- craigslist...? We have been living abroad for over 7 yrs and I am out of touch with how to find rentals. Is it like LA (lived there for 3 yrs late '90's) where to had to pay for listings of rentals?

Due to my husband's work downtown and the school near U of M I am thinking Miami, South Miami, Coral Gables. I know I will get a better feel upon arrival but are these areas a good place to start with? What is Coconut Grove like? Would really like to only have one car if possible. My husband still considering cycling ( he can shower at work), or if we live near the metro line that would work. Is it safe to take it in the late evening?

Thank you again!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decisions-decisions... View Post
I am having difficulty finding a site that will give me a good selection for rentals.
The best website for a good selection of rentals is driving very slowly or walking through neighborhoods and talking directly to landlords.

In Coral Gables, you pretty much have to walk because "for rent" signs, by town ordinance, are very small.

Other than that, yes, Craigslist gives a good idea, plus the University of Miami website has a rental search engine page (http://www.sa.miami.edu/commuter-affairs/off-campus-housing/frmSearch.aspx - broken link), though mostly geared for students.

Yes, South Miami is worth looking at, Coconut Grove can be spotty, you really have to know it section by section.

I'm not sure, but I think a 4-bedroom house in those areas would rent for around $2000-2500.

Frugal, one car, near metrolines are a good recipe, to start with, for saving money. At $120k a year with three kids, most likely you will break even, saving would depend on, yes, living frugally and finding a house near a metroline. Along with car insurance, gasoline costs can be a budget buster nowadays and going forward for sure. What about health insurance? That can also be a budget buster. If your employment offers family health insurance on top of the $120k, your chances of saving improve significantly. If not, stay in oil-rich Dubai.

Anyway, if your husband works downtown, also consider the neighborhood called Roads (33129) just west (sort of) of south Brickell. Look on craigslist Miami and punch in Roads. Your husband could cycle or walk to work from there and, if you live near the metrorail, you could take it to UoM. Also one or two private schools in the neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 AM

Thank you again for more insight. Health insurance is covered, not sure exactly what type it is yet. Sounds like having only one car will most definately cut costs quite a bit- especially with insurance and gas. We have a Toyota Rav 4 here and I pay about $19 to fill it and get around 410km. Is gas about $3.20 there?

I figured driving around will be my best bet upon arrival. Can you negotiate rents at all there? I was also wondering if anyone can inform me about babysitting or temporary daycare services. I don't know where we will be staying upon arrival but do you know if it is possible to put children in some sort of creche for a couple hours perhaps for maybe one week while I drive around looking for houses? My husband will be working immediately and a lot so I will be finding our housing and it is easier and faster without the children in tow.

Thanks again
oh- are there any farmer's markets held in the city?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Thank you again for more insight. Health insurance is covered, not sure exactly what type it is yet. Sounds like having only one car will most definately cut costs quite a bit- especially with insurance and gas. We have a Toyota Rav 4 here and I pay about $19 to fill it and get around 410km. Is gas about $3.20 there?

I figured driving around will be my best bet upon arrival. Can you negotiate rents at all there? I was also wondering if anyone can inform me about babysitting or temporary daycare services. I don't know where we will be staying upon arrival but do you know if it is possible to put children in some sort of creche for a couple hours perhaps for maybe one week while I drive around looking for houses? My husband will be working immediately and a lot so I will be finding our housing and it is easier and faster without the children in tow.

Thanks again
oh- are there any farmer's markets held in the city?
Gas prices are right around that price, depending on which area you are traveling.

I'm not aware of rents being negotiable.

Regarding your question about babysitters or day care services, I'm not aware of any type of babysitting services. Day cares usually require some sort of long term contract. Please, do a complete background check on any type of service like this. If I still had small children here I would never leave them with anyone I didn't know or hadn't done a complete history check on. Way too dangerous. I understand your dilema, towing small children around while looking for housing. It is a hassel, however not worth leaving them with people you don't know. Perhaps if you were staying in a nice hotel that offered a concierge service they might offer a babysitting service within the hotel, I would still be reluctant. I would only leave mine with a trusted friend or relative. You might contact a 'nanny' service and see if they offer anything temporary, again with background checks. Normally this type of service is long term and would require someone coming to your home. But, it wouldn't hurt to check with one.

Good luck and be cautious!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:55 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Can you negotiate rents at all there?
Everything is negotiable, especially rent nowadays in Florida. However, you are looking at the best areas of Miami-Dade where demand is usually high, real estate prices have not fallen off much, and neither have rents.

As the the above poster alluded to, if you do not have close relatives or friends to help you find housing and with the kids, it may be a rough time. Miami is not known for being a friendly city and it can be violent. If you have alternatives to coming to Miami, with three children, consider them carefully. I know I would.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Everything is negotiable, especially rent nowadays in Florida. However, you are looking at the best areas of Miami-Dade where demand is usually high, real estate prices have not fallen off much, and neither have rents.

As the the above poster alluded to, if you do not have close relatives or friends to help you find housing and with the kids, it may be a rough time. Miami is not known for being a friendly city and it can be violent. If you have alternatives to coming to Miami, with three children, consider them carefully. I know I would.
I would never dream of asking my landlord if he would accept less than the asking amount- which may make ME the idiot here. Most landlords I know have bought these properties as investments a few years ago, they are still trying to cover the mortgages, taxes, insurances or maintenance fees on these properties. These doesn't allow them much wiggle room for negotiation. However, it never hurts to ask I guess!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Thank you so much for the information and I truly appreciate your concerns regarding my children. This is why I asked the question regarding daycares/creche for a week. We don't have any family/friends in the area but never have any where we have moved so I am used to having my beauties with me always! I was just wondering about it, but we will work through it as always!!!

Another question I forgot about regarding insurance is; do most renters- which I imagine we will be for the first year- have house/ apartment insurance? Curious about that and if you can tie that in with your car insurance company for better rates.

I don't want to sound overly paranoid however; another thing I am wondering about is regarding safety. When we lived in L.A our ground floor apartment had bars on the window. We then moved to Indonesia and had security bars again on our window (but were still robbed...). Here in Dubai it is okay without bars as we live on the 2nd floor and it is very safe here for the most part. Is this something I should look for when wanting to rent in Miami, regardless of the area?

I am sorry for my tedious questions however it is all part of my figuring it out!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami