Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:24 PM

74 posts, read 619,614 times

Advertisements

been to both cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
How exciting would it be to live in NYC while going to college. That would be a lot of fun.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM

124 posts, read 440,673 times
I will give you my honest opinion (as a LIFELONG NYC resident):

Living in NYC for $60,000 will **NOT** allow you the luxury of living in the city - not even in the lower east side. An average rent for a studio apartment is $2000+ (my whole family is in Real Estate). So unless you want to have ramen noodle soups and walking to work, you will not afford this on that salary. You will wind up sharing an apartment with one or more roommates - hire a company that puts up a (moveable) wall in the middle of the living room, and share the rent. You may not mind this initially since you are young, just graduating school and eventually will make more money to get your own place.

If you are a person like my sister who makes $65k, plus a 10k bonus, and value your privacy, forget manhattan. You will be renting a pre-war, 4th floor walk-up 1 bedroom in the marble hill section of the Bronx for $875 a month. Not alot of 'hip' activities going on in the Bronx.

$60,000 may equal alot of money in many places, in NYC it equals borderline poor.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 PM

123 posts, read 134,386 times
Yikes, why would someone enjoy that lifestyle in NYC? I guess you need to make large salary to do so.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 PM

89 posts, read 100,096 times
New York would be nice, but at your income, Miami.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:50 PM

123 posts, read 134,386 times
Why would your income be $60k in Miami and NYC? Wouldnt there be some difference in the pay?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
I will give you my honest opinion (as a LIFELONG NYC resident):

Living in NYC for $60,000 will **NOT** allow you the luxury of living in the city - not even in the lower east side. An average rent for a studio apartment is $2000+ (my whole family is in Real Estate). So unless you want to have ramen noodle soups and walking to work, you will not afford this on that salary. You will wind up sharing an apartment with one or more roommates - hire a company that puts up a (moveable) wall in the middle of the living room, and share the rent. You may not mind this initially since you are young, just graduating school and eventually will make more money to get your own place.

If you are a person like my sister who makes $65k, plus a 10k bonus, and value your privacy, forget manhattan. You will be renting a pre-war, 4th floor walk-up 1 bedroom in the marble hill section of the Bronx for $875 a month. Not alot of 'hip' activities going on in the Bronx.

$60,000 may equal alot of money in many places, in NYC it equals borderline poor.
your location says Westchester which isn't NYC

I have friends living on St. Nich right now who are paying FAR less than 2000 a month for a one bedroom. Also know people living in Washington heights for far less than what you have quoted. As stated previously though these places are "hood".

Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Good suggestion.. go to the NYC forum and read some of the threads or post one yourself. You will find others who have asked similiar questions.
The other good answer here was you are going to have to pay NYC and NY state income tax. You might want to figure out how much that is going to take out of your pay.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 AM

57 posts, read 59,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major League View Post
Why would your income be $60k in Miami and NYC? Wouldnt there be some difference in the pay?

I was asking the same question to myself...

Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major League View Post
I was just about to ask the same question. What line of work would offer the exact same salary in two very different cost of living areas?

By and large, I would think that if you did a salary comparison between both places, you should see that NYC salaries would be more in line with NYC cost of living, and likewise for Miami for the same type of position (although, I think this can be debatable with the COL inflation over the past 10 years in South Florida and salaries not really moving along with it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami