Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

Advertisements

To get back the OP,Miami has the third largest skyline, based on the number of buildings over 5oo feet , how long we keep that place, no telling as other big cities are building rampantly but it is a marvelous skyline appearance from the bay. Miami to most is really not about large buildings but about beautiful waters, palm trees and sunshine. Visitors here see the beauty of the city from just the resorts they stay in they don't see the bad areas like the locals have, I guess Miami has a way of hiding the bad areas or they are not as bad as other large cities.

People who live here either hate it or love it I believe, most come with an idyllic Eden perception of this city and are disappointed when this is not the case and others who come with average expectations are the ones who love it and adapt to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 PM

37 posts, read 62,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
To get back the OP,Miami has the third largest skyline, based on the number of buildings over 5oo feet , how long we keep that place, no telling as other big cities are building rampantly but it is a marvelous skyline appearance from the bay. Miami to most is really not about large buildings but about beautiful waters, palm trees and sunshine. Visitors here see the beauty of the city from just the resorts they stay in they don't see the bad areas like the locals have, I guess Miami has a way of hiding the bad areas or they are not as bad as other large cities.

People who live here either hate it or love it I believe, most come with an idyllic Eden perception of this city and are disappointed when this is not the case and others who come with average expectations are the ones who love it and adapt to it.
We sure do have a LOT of palm trees lol. I can see why people wouldn't like it here. I go up North & people are a lot more chattier with strangers. While here people tend to keep to themselves. Not sure why. You're right though, people that vacation here just see the sunshine and the beach. But few actually get to see the real dade county.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post

Las Vegas 2012 population - 596,424
Miami 2012 population - 413,864

The Las Vegas metro area also cracked 2 million. So yes, LV is considered a big city and it's a younger one too.
Interesting bit of trivia: the Las Vegas Strip is not in the City of Las Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yea Tampa has that much population metropolitan wise of 2 million and is not considered big Miami is 5 million plus.

Miami metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's only true if you count Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, West Palm beach, Boca Raton, and Boynton Beach. If you limit "Miami" to what generally is considered....you know....Miami...(Miami, Miami Beach, Kendall, etc.), then the population is a little under 2.5 million.

IOW, Miami-Dade County's population is 2.5 million and Clark County's (Las Vegas) is a little over 2 million, so yeah, I think most people would consider them comparable.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Las Vegas looks like Overtown away from the strip, there downtown is rinky -dink and rundown along with few to no trees.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 AM

564 posts, read 746,793 times
Miami can be great if you can afford it and are able to keep yourself away from the suburbs and just stay on the east side, Brickell, Downtown, South Beach, areas like that.

Miami is pretty horrendous if you have to live somewhere west and have no money.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Miami can be great if you can afford it and are able to keep yourself away from the suburbs and just stay on the east side, Brickell, Downtown, South Beach, areas like that.

Miami is pretty horrendous if you have to live somewhere west and have no money.
Yes, all the action tends to be on the east side. True about the money, you don't know how many times I have heard people wanting to get out of here but have no money to move. Which was a situation in my family.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,109 times
I generally enjoy living here, but the lack of income potential compaired to other places makes living here tough. Also, the traffic and the fact that many drivers are rude and inconsiderate keeps me from wanting to drive anywhere. I just had 20 days off for vacation, but couldn't afford to go anywhere. Other than a couple of day trips to the Keys, I never ventured more than a few blocks from my house. There's no interesting places to just take a drive to, something I really enjoyed doing when I lived in San Diego.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 PM

22 posts, read 35,986 times
This thread seems to be really insightful, for someone like me who's about to relocate to Miami... I was looking at Kendall since I'll be working in Dadeland. Is Kendall considered east or west?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missakg View Post
This thread seems to be really insightful, for someone like me who's about to relocate to Miami... I was looking at Kendall since I'll be working in Dadeland. Is Kendall considered east or west?
Kendall is in the Southwest section of dade county. But then again SW dade is pretty big. It stretches from Flagler down to homestead.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missakg View Post
There's east Kendall and west Kendall. Dadeland's in east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami