Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many months is the humidity uncomfortable?
0-1 month 5 15.15%
2-3 months 4 12.12%
4-5 months 12 36.36%
6 months 2 6.06%
7 months 2 6.06%
8 months 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times

Advertisements

Miami Beach is like a sauna in the summer. I dare you to walk the length of Lincoln Road without sweating. The sea is the ultimate humidity producer, I lived 100 feet from the Atlantic for 20 years and my cars suffered the consequences~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami Beach is like a sauna in the summer. I dare you to walk the length of Lincoln Road without sweating. The sea is the ultimate humidity producer, I lived 100 feet from the Atlantic for 20 years and my cars suffered the consequences~!
I am actually gonna agree with Tallrick this time. This ain't the Pacific.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,301,405 times
In my view, this is an expectations management question.

You know, well in advance, that Miami is humid around 6-7 months of the year. You expect it. Why let yourself be bothered by something that is utterly expected well in advance?

Does the prospect of death bother you?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I am actually gonna agree with Tallrick this time. This ain't the Pacific.
Of course it's not the Pacific. I wasn't trying to imply that humidity wasn't an issue here or that one wouldn't sweat if you went for a long walk; I was simply saying that summers are more comfortable on Miami Beach than inland because of the constant ocean breeze. Just as it's a statistical fact that it rains much less on Miami Beach in the summer than it does inland.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM

546 posts, read 817,526 times
[quote=bale002;34808566]In my view, this is an expectations management question.

You know, well in advance, that Miami is humid around 6-7 months of the year. You expect it. Why let yourself be bothered by something that is utterly expected well in advance?

Does the prospect of death bother you?[/quote]

Death is inevitable so I am not pre-occupied by it.

However, I do not "have to" move to Miami....I like many aspects of Miami but humidity is not one of them. Was just looking for some local commentary about how long the "bad" season lasts.

Appreciate the input from everyone.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Op if you are coming from LA, you will notice the humidity, a friend of mine said as if stepping into someone's mouth in the mean season.

But that being said you do adapt and for us long time residents the real horrible times are June to the end of sept. We all complain about it but on the flip side the winters here make up for it. Of course you live in a area that doesn't have that high of humidity that you might notice it more.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:07 PM

515 posts, read 623,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Op if you are coming from LA, you will notice the humidity, a friend of mine said as if stepping into someone's mouth in the mean season.

But that being said you do adapt and for us long time residents the real horrible times are June to the end of sept. We all complain about it but on the flip side the winters here make up for it. Of course you live in a area that doesn't have that high of humidity that you might notice it more.
I wish that were the case for me. After almost 6 years being back in South Florida, it feels as if every year the summers get longer and the winters get shorter. It is May right now and I feel like we deserve to be heading into winter because even for the many nice days we have had in winter, to me, it never seemed to fully kick in.

We had mosquitoes and heat throughout the winter months. There have also been days recently when the kids have said they were too hot and needed to come in. That is terrible as the long arduous summer until Nov/Dec has just begun.

Fine for the boat but everything else becomes taxing with the heat. I have already gone to just carrying my jacket as a full suit is just too much already to walk around in even from parking garage to office.

For Florida, I think I would personally be happy with the weather around St. Augustine but for some here that is actually considered too cold.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
This is a really personal issue, so you need to access more for how you respond to humidity than how others do.

Another way to look at it is, people don't tend to acclimate to humidity as much as they do to temperature.
Excellent. Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:24 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
You will need AC all 12 months, however the winter months u may get away with a day or two after a cold front moves through that u do not need it on. Winter is nice bacuse u have ur gorgeous crisp, so-Cal like days with very low humidity and deep blue skies but you'll notice that is only after a cold front has moved through....usually a few days after a cold front the humidity always returns....only to have another cold front come through and kind wipe it out again. . . That cycle usually winds down by April and the humidity is back...never to go away again until perhaps mid to late october.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM

128 posts, read 163,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The key word is inland. Miami averages significantly more rainfall than Miami Beach (~20%), especially in the summer. In fact, if one is bothered by humidity, there is no better place to live in SoFla than Miami Beach. And the closer to the beach the better. The constant ocean breeze really ameliorates the humidity issue.
Does the ocean breeze also ameliorate the mosquito issue? especially during the day
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami