Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many months is the humidity uncomfortable?
0-1 month 5 15.15%
2-3 months 4 12.12%
4-5 months 12 36.36%
6 months 2 6.06%
7 months 2 6.06%
8 months 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Mosquitos feed at dusk and dawn (not to much during the day), which coincide with the best times temperature wise to be outside in the summer months. Avoiding these hours being outdoors and wearing long sleeves, long pants, bug spray all help to keep you from getting bit.

The mosquitos live near the mangroves or the Everglades mostly. Obviously if you or your neighbors keep things around your yard that catch water, you'll get mosquitos. The breeze doesn't do much, it can push them inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:51 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Op if you are coming from LA, you will notice the humidity, a friend of mine said as if stepping into someone's mouth in the mean season.

But that being said you do adapt and for us long time residents the real horrible times are June to the end of sept. We all complain about it but on the flip side the winters here make up for it. Of course you live in a area that doesn't have that high of humidity that you might notice it more.
I agree that the winters are VERY nice in Miami. Been there in winter, spring and summer, mostly as a tourist but once on business.

Summers are tough...not a fan of the humidity. Ideal climate for me is probably Medellin, Colombia. Or San Diego is summer and Miami in winter.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
This is a really personal issue, so you need to access more for how you respond to humidity than how others do.

Another way to look at it is, people don't tend to acclimate to humidity as much as they do to temperature. So, when you have been in really high humidity (close to 100%), were you uncomfortable to a point that would be hard to live with? I can't live in the desert, my body isn't made for it. Every time I am in very low humidity my lips crack immediately no matter how hydrated I am, I get a fever, and my skin breaks out in rashes. Some people are like that with humidity, they absolutely can't take it.

Consider some of the following which might help you decide if you will like it. If the humidity in July was oppressive when you visited, then that is how it is here every single day for 4 months out of the year - pretty much June through Sept. (If it wasn't oppressive, what you experienced was abnormal for the season, because it can make it hard to breathe or move at that high heat and 100% humidity, especially with low breeze.)

During those months especially, you will sweat every single time you leave home to walk to your car, or to walk your dog. You will sweat every single time you walk anywhere for more than 60 seconds at a time. You will likely then enter a blast of frigid air, especially at work or in a store. It can be hard for a body to take all day, up and down. If you are an active, athletic person, the humidity will challenge your body. You will have to hydrate with electrolytes constantly to replace the sweat, and avoid cramping. It might not be fun to do anything outdoors during the entire rainy season, from May to October. If you are overweight or thin but eat a lot, it will be hard to keep your body temperature low and you will sweat constantly.

In Miami there is a battle between style and comfort. You'll acclimatize to the heat within 2 months (the heat is worse than SoCal because of the humidity). But still, you will tend to be uncomfortable because Miami locals wear pants and sometimes even long sleeves or jackets in 80-90F. This is especially true if you are among FL natives or the Caribbean population, in part because they don't feel hot, and in part it's just the style. I never, ever, ever see people wearing shorts to go out in public (other than for exercise) in Miami except for in South Beach. It may be harder to stay comfortable because of pressure to wear clothes to fit in that don't allow much breathing. But you can wear sandals or Dockers all year long, and you may never wear another sock again.

You will need to keep the windows shut and the A/C on pretty much year round. That is an expense and a lifestyle change. You may need the heat for 2 weeks of the year, as Miami sometimes dips to freezing. You have to run the A/C regularly because if you don't your home can develop mold. It may be hard to find a balance if you sleep with the A/C on between feeling a draft while it's running, and then sweating every time it stops. Fans are your friend, run them at the same time as air conditioning and you can keep the thermostat higher and also have more consistent air flow which will likely increase comfort.

If you don't find the humidity oppressive, you might find the mosquitoes to be so. They swarm with the humidity, and in the summer can be in clouds as thick as the air. If you are the type of person to whom they are attracted, it will be difficult although not impossible to ward every type of them off - there are different species that come out at different times of day.

So the question is, are you ok with sweating several times a day into your clothes for maybe 4 months or so straight? Can you just bring a change of clothes and some deodorant, or will you be uncomfortable all day at work? Granted, the torrential downpours during that part of the year may wash your clothes while you wear them so at least you won't smell...
Can you handle the higher energy bills? Can you maintain your current level of activity and lifestyle in these conditions?

If you're used to being outdoors all the time, and then you end up inside for half the year like the above poster said (which is certainly true for many people although I am outside for at least an hour every day), you will be unhappy. Consider that if you live inland in Miami-Dade, there will be almost no breeze ever, which will make the humidity much worse. It's far more bearable on the coast.

During the dry season, it will still be higher humidity than you're used to. Often 70-85%. But, most people find it really comfortable. The average temps are in the 70s or 80, and you're not going to sweat just walking around, unless you are someone who sweats all the time in any condition. It will be 65 and below for about a month.

Some people can work around all this. Most of the time, I like high humidity. I prefer it, except when the temps get in the high 90s and there is no breeze. Consider that people already living in FL are likely to be people who really like it, or who were born here and are just used to it, so that would skew your results. What you need to know, is can YOU personally take it? You are the only one who can answer that.

Wow-- I didn't know I have so much to say about humidity! I never thought about these things much before, but I guess they do affect the lifestyle here a lot. Does it sound like you could deal?
Very nice detailed post. Appreciate your thoughts.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:43 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Since you say you like Miami in winter, one other thought is to consider budgeting for a trip once on a while or trying to live bicoastal or something. Florida's economy is in large part based on people who like the winters but hate the summers, so you wouldn't be alone. Living in cold regions is the same way - for many it is a way of life to yearn for and try to afford a warm-climate trip sometime during the winter, at least to break it up a little and get out in the sun. You could plan to return to CA to visit old friends during summer, or to go to a cold climate. Or if you have that financial flexibility you could find two locations that you like to live in, and either rent, or own and rent out your place when you're away. Sometimes dreaming can work out for real, if you plan it well and take your time.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM

128 posts, read 163,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Mosquitos feed at dusk and dawn (not to much during the day), which coincide with the best times temperature wise to be outside in the summer months. Avoiding these hours being outdoors and wearing long sleeves, long pants, bug spray all help to keep you from getting bit.

The mosquitos live near the mangroves or the Everglades mostly. Obviously if you or your neighbors keep things around your yard that catch water, you'll get mosquitos. The breeze doesn't do much, it can push them inland.
Cool. Thanks!

My outside time will be mostly in the middle of the day (best time to get vitamin D from the sun), so that works out perfect. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
I personally NEED high humidity or else my sinuses dry out. I have gotten so use to humidity that I feel that the air is to dry more often that it is to humid(which is almost never)

Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I like it hot and humid, never bothers me.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I like it hot and humid, never bothers me.
How many hours each day are you outdoors? Part of my day is spent outdoors at work.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:11 PM

69 posts, read 92,067 times
Where's the option for 9-10 months?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS111 View Post
Does the ocean breeze also ameliorate the mosquito issue? especially during the day
Thanks
It just might, but you still have to deal with the "no see'ums"- you can't tell they're biting but they'll leave you with some mighty itchy welts and bumps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami