Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
American is anyone from Argentina all the way up to Greenland.
When someone mentions "American", they are meaning the demonym for someone from the USA; no other country in the world uses the demonym "American" other the the USA. This is pretty well universal, you may disagree, but it is what it is, I doubt anyone is going to change billions of people's minds on this, besides the fact it is rather absurd to refer yourself from a continent, rather than a country.

Are people from North and South America besides the USA really that ashamed to say what country they are from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Winter2001 View Post
I am white born AMERICAN MAN.
All the Haters here are Latino immigrants or 2nd gen Latino immigrants so they cannot accept any kind of criticisms about the fact that Miami is a 3rd WORLD CITY in a 1st WORLD COUNTRY.
Disagree, Miami is not even close to a third world city, I guess you have not got out much in the world.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Miami is not diverse at all, NY is diverse. I mean, being confronted by those people that live there is quite excruciating. First time I visited the city, the TWA Terminal was flooded by fat and screaming people, some of them spoke a Italian dialect I could not understand. Then you have those people with strange hairdressings, hats and fisheyes, lots of them...then lots of creepos asking from money, from people dressed as if they were in the 50's asking for money for any cause, sects, you name it.

Blacks there are quite apalling, coming from Europe and seeing a 300 pound black pushing carts or hanging around is quite intimidating, plus Asians...

Miami is or was a pleasant town.
How is Miami not diverse? What to you would make a place diverse? Please provide objective measurements for what makes a place diverse.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:32 AM

683 posts, read 852,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How is Miami not diverse? What to you would make a place diverse? Please provide objective measurements for what makes a place diverse.
I guess you don't know the meaning of diverse. Diversity is having more than one predominant race. Miami is a Hispanic city. When you go in stores and nobody speaks English, that is not diversity. Go to Doral and go to Miramar. If you can't see the difference than I can't help you my friend.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Diversity is more than one culture as Hispanic is not a race. You would be in error to believe Cuban is the same as Peruvian as Brazilian,etc.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:58 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
I agree that Miami is not diverse compared to New York, for example.

However, it is still very early days in the history of Miami. Give it time. Even now, where I live, I see regularly Japanese, Arabs, Chinese, Europeans from several different countries, non-Hispanic Caribbeans and South Americans, etc. And as it stands, some people here give short shrift to Haitian and African Americans who are proportionally present in Miami-Dade's main institutions and Creole is also a semi-official language.

In any case, I expect that Miami for a very long time will have a special relationship with Hispanic Latin America and native Spanish-speakers, but at the same time its demographic make-up will continue to diversify hand-in-hand with its economic relationships with Asia and Africa, which is one of the County's pro-active economic policies, believe it or not.

And they will all speak English, in conjunction with other languages, similar to New York.

Finally, worth repeating, its source of financing for major infrastructure projects will continue to be New York and Washington, private and public, as it has been since year one, so still plenty of old-fashioned gringos pulling the strings too.

We are all in this together.

Last edited by bale002; 06-26-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 AM

471 posts, read 621,015 times
Quote:
When someone mentions "American", they are meaning the demonym for someone from the USA; no other country in the world uses the demonym "American" other the the USA. This is pretty well universal, you may disagree, but it is what it is, I doubt anyone is going to change billions of people's minds on this, besides the fact it is rather absurd to refer yourself from a continent, rather than a country.

Are people from North and South America besides the USA really that ashamed to say what country they are from?
No, I think we are lazy to say U.S. American or U.S. Nationals.

American is anyone from the continent.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Disagree, Miami is not even close to a third world city, I guess you have not got out much in the world.
Just ignore that guy, he clearly has some other problems.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
No, I think we are lazy to say U.S. American or U.S. Nationals.

American is anyone from the continent.
I always say American because that is part of the name. If someone attempts to correct me, as some folk from South America do, then I state the only America that matters. That suffices because there really is no other answer. I mean I,they,we are here in the USA and not in their country.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:48 PM

205 posts, read 245,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
Haha, oh wow. Not sure if extremely sarcastic or just really dumb.
Why just one or the other? I was going for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami