Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 PM

58 posts, read 100,167 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt, Miami is the most American city in the whole country, where Freedom of Expression is the leading trend. Speaking Spanish is a must, which allows you to express yourself in multiple ways and enjoy other cultures. English is also spoken, especially in formal settins. Remember that in this American city, Spanish was spoken before English was, so Spanish makes it even more American! But the dynamic and heritage of the city welcome any language. People themselves like the diversity. It is fun, an unique experience!

Last edited by Aned; 10-03-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Other reasons why Miami is so unique

(1) You can actually go to the beach and get in the water, because it is warm.

(2) You can get pastries of all kind of flavors, not only made of the berries. Tropical fruits are juicer.

(3) You can find excellent coffee everywhere, do not have to rely on stale coffee from Starbucks all the time.

(4) We have the cruisers, the Bahamas, the Caribbean.

(5) You can fly cheaper to anywhere in the world from MIA.

(6) You can still find real, homemade food, at many local restaurants, which is very American, and not only frozen food or grass.

(7) While other people may be shoveling snow, people in Miami and South FL may be swimming at the beach.

(8) There are less people of European descent, and more of Central and South America descent, fact that also makes our city even more American.

English does not make a city more American. On the contrary, it makes it closer to Europe. America is all about the passion for freedom, diversity, and integration.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 PM

236 posts, read 388,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aned View Post
English does not make a city more American. On the contrary, it makes it closer to Europe. America is all about the passion for freedom, diversity, and integration.
I would argue that English as the dominant language and the relative uniformity of culture across the U.S. has helped the U.S. economically from a labor mobility stand point. It is easy for someone raised in one part of the U.S. to move to another part of the country to take advantage of jobs and other economic opportunities that may present themselves.

In contrast Europe has many languages and many cultures that create barriers to labor mobility. This can be seen in Spain and Greece where a high percentage of their younger working aged population is unemployed. If Europe had more uniformity in language and culture you would see more of the young people in Spain and Greece moving to Germany or the U.K. where there are more employment opportunities.

You mention integration being an important part of America which I would argue includes language and cultural integration. I sometimes think that the perception of Miami as a Spanish speaking city keeps talented people and companies from locating here.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:37 PM

106 posts, read 174,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I would argue that English as the dominant language and the relative uniformity of culture across the U.S. has helped the U.S. economically from a labor mobility stand point. It is easy for someone raised in one part of the U.S. to move to another part of the country to take advantage of jobs and other economic opportunities that may present themselves.

In contrast Europe has many languages and many cultures that create barriers to labor mobility. This can be seen in Spain and Greece where a high percentage of their younger working aged population is unemployed. If Europe had more uniformity in language and culture you would see more of the young people in Spain and Greece moving to Germany or the U.K. where there are more employment opportunities.

You mention integration being an important part of America which I would argue includes language and cultural integration. I sometimes think that the perception of Miami as a Spanish speaking city keeps talented people and companies from locating here.
Miami has plenty of talented people and companies (more then enough). English is spoken enough here as well (a good balance), I doubt i impedes the metropolis from growing.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 PM

400 posts, read 515,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
...the perception of Miami as a Spanish speaking city keeps talented people and companies from locating here.
So is the perception of Los Angeles (In English would be The Angels) or the Orange County, CA with its County seat in Santa Ana, the largest concentration of Spanish speaking population outside of Mexico City.
Doesn't seem to prevent talented people and foreign Companies to try and establish there.

I did not read the entire thread, 223 comments so far, but to the title of the thread, what, exactly defines a City as American? A single language, yes there must be a standard to communicate, and I agree that Immigrants should be able to communicate in the official language; does it mean they are forced to drop all traces of their original Culture? NO!

It would take a book, some books, including the comments in the thread on why Miami is very American.
I already have two of the Languages of this American City, and I really want to start learning and practicing in French.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:15 PM

236 posts, read 388,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
So is the perception of Los Angeles (In English would be The Angels) or the Orange County, CA with its County seat in Santa Ana, the largest concentration of Spanish speaking population outside of Mexico City.
Doesn't seem to prevent talented people and foreign Companies to try and establish there.

I did not read the entire thread, 223 comments so far, but to the title of the thread, what, exactly defines a City as American? A single language, yes there must be a standard to communicate, and I agree that Immigrants should be able to communicate in the official language; does it mean they are forced to drop all traces of their original Culture? NO!

It would take a book, some books, including the comments in the thread on why Miami is very American.
I already have two of the Languages of this American City, and I really want to start learning and practicing in French.
Los Angeles/Southern Cal is still primarily English speaking and American culture is dominant as it is the center of the entertainment industry. The most prominent business focused areas of Los Angeles including Century City, Burbank, Studio City, and all of West LA are primarily English speaking. I don't think you can compare Miami and Los Angeles. Spanish language and culture does no define LA the way it defines Miami.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 AM

The last thing Miami needs is to resemble LA, especially because of the hot weather and risk of earthquakes.

Every state in the U.S. has its own traditions; therefore, you cannot talk about a singular American culture that could fit every state. Louisiana belonged to France, Texas to Mexico, Florida to Spain, and so on. Immigrants came from Germany, Italy, Africa, China, and all over; besides, every nationality has established its own traditions; that is why it is called The United States.

Last edited by Aned; 10-06-2014 at 01:07 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 06:46 AM

106 posts, read 174,213 times
Quote:
The last thing Miami needs is to resemble LA, especially because of the hot weather and risk of earthquakes.

Every state in the U.S. has its own traditions; therefore, you cannot talk about a singular American culture that could fit every state. Louisiana belonged to France, Texas to Mexico, Florida to Spain, and so on. Immigrants came from Germany, Italy, Africa, China, and all over; besides, every nationality has established its own traditions; that is why it is called The United States.
Exactly we're the United States, not United State. Many, in one. One with many.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:12 AM

400 posts, read 515,729 times
Quote:

Every state in the U.S. has its own traditions; therefore, you cannot talk about a singular American culture that could fit every state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post
Exactly we're the United States, not United State. Many, in one. One with many.
That's what I was aiming at. If a talented or very rich investor person refuses to go to City A, B or C within the USA, 'cause they don't speak English there, maybe they are not that talented. The University for your Ph.D, the Corporation for your interview, the co-investor for your new venture will conduct all the communications in English.
Hollywood and the TV Industry defining the American Culture, perhaps, although they don't seem to mind producing bilingual movies and shows.

But without skewing the thread, yes Miami is very American.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:28 PM

From a business, or any other field, perspective, learning English is a must. And soon, the big wigs and CEOs will have no other choice than to learn Chinese as well, to stay competitive. But going back to discussing traditions, the languages born in this land were those of the Apaches, Comanches, and other Indian tribes. Do we have to impose English on these native American communities? Will learning English make them more or less American? It should be up to you which language to use. Telling people how they should dress, walk, or speak is something you can expect of a communist dictatorship.

Last edited by Aned; 10-06-2014 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami