U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:22 PM

37 posts, read 73,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
your surroundings and how you perceive things is all in your head. try looking at miami with new eyes, go to bayside with your wife and take the boat tour. spend some time to clear your head and your thoughts. try watching the movie "the secret." it shows how thinking negative attracts negativity and thinking positively does just the opposite.
I appreciate what you're saying, but it's very hard to be "positive" when you've encountered nothing but crap down here from people. Both my wife and I have been used and taken advantage of. Because we don't like clubbing or partying, we are basically outcasts. Being an outcast anywhere else would be fine (especially somewhere diverse like NY or Chicago), but Miami is more like a small town than a big city and people here tend to frown on you if you're "different" in any way.

When you spend your day at work being gossiped about and seeing people literally line up to stab you in the back, it kind of puts the brakes on any form of positive attitude. When you drive to/from work and other drivers don't care if they literally run you off the road, it also harms the whole "positive attitude" thing. When you see that in Miami, the only people who succeed are those who are part of the clique (and part of the problem), it also gets you down, despite the fact that you bust your ass at work, turn up on time and mind your own business.

Neither of us go out anymore. Much of it has to do with the drivers/traffic here, which makes going anywhere a stressful experience. I deal with the Palmetto every day during the week and most weekends, I just want to hide away in my apartment with my computer, PS3 and television.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,475,838 times
blackklight, you are giving some really great advice.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 PM

385 posts, read 1,301,792 times
becks, why do you let them get to you? stop caring what they say, all that should matter to you is what your wife thinks of you as, and you need to show her you can handle this. take this as a test of your will and how you can handle yourself.

try getting into some community service or volunteer work, you'd probably find more well headed people who aren't just into the whole raggaeton club scene going on here.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/story/344275.html (broken link)

check that out, we might have an entirely new downtown soon. don't give up on miami just yet - hang on.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Does Dade have a program like Volunteer Broward? Heck, maybe if you can't volunteer in Miami, you could volunteer in your northern neighbor, in which my opportunities to serve my community have been limitless and incredible.

http://www.volunteerbroward.org/

Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM

385 posts, read 1,301,792 times
i am not sure but i found this website that has a lot of things you can volunteer as

http://www.volunteermatch.org/bymsa/m5000/c/opp1.html

Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
i am not sure but i found this website that has a lot of things you can volunteer as

http://www.volunteermatch.org/bymsa/m5000/c/opp1.html
I found something by the same organization that manages Volunteer Broward

http://www.handsonmiami.org/

Old 12-14-2007, 06:56 PM

8,252 posts, read 15,487,583 times
As a south Florida native, I also hate Miami-Dade county with a passion. It always succeeds in disappointing me and depressing me. The "in your face" attitude of people really gets old. But even hard-core Miami haters like me realize that not everyone is bad. There are still a few really good people in south Florida. There are places much worse tham Miami, like NYC, SF, LA, etc. There are states worse then Florida. I think that a lot of the problems in Florida will have to go away or this area will be a total disaster.

I have found two ways to cope with the anger/depression. One attack it directly, I have three court cases in the works to try and fight back. Try and find the few like minded people for friendship. Two, keep thinking about where you want to live. I often think of moving to a cooler, rural area with less phony materialism. It may no longer exist, but the thought of getting out of Miami always give one a lift. Just staying with my parents is enough to make me fed up with Miami-Dade county. Comming home always helps give me a little lift.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM

30 posts, read 67,499 times
I honestly can't believe what I'm reading. Miami is a 'hell zone' or how angry or depressed it can make you when you live there. I have never lived in Miami, but I have been vacationing there for sometime & now we are in the process of looking for a vacation home to have on the beach. My true goal is to one day (hopefully soon) live there!!!
IMHO, Miami IS paradise!!! You have no idea what depression is, until you live in North NJ!! I was literally crying yesterday. We haven't had a day of sunshine in at least 3 months!! It's just graaaaaay out. The high temp today was 38 degrees!!!! And it felt WARM!!!! It's so depressing not to be able to go out for a walk. Or to sit in your back yard and enjoy the fresh air. You guys have no idea what it's like to live locked inside your house for so many long months. The sun sets at 4 :25!!!! It's horrible. I had my 2 kids home with me yesterday (school was closed due to an ice/snow storm) & we couldn't even do an indoor activity such as go to the mall or the movies. Our car was a solid capsul of ice. This is no way to live & I have had it. Not to mention all of NJ's other problems, like high costs of living & how crowded & polluted this state is. So, after hearing my side of the story, do you still think Miami is that bad??!! Please respond, because I'm having trouble understanding why everyone thinks Miami <3 <3 is so bad!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:20 PM

You actually have it all wrong. The weather is the worst thing about MIAMI!!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:28 PM

30 posts, read 67,499 times
You have to be kidding, right?!!
I would move to miami just for the sunshine & year round summer ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami