Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 AM

37 posts, read 80,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
A good question is why should mexicans move here? Why arent there more cubans in the west coast? Just because an area is hispanic/latino/whatever doesnt mean there has to be mexicans or cubans. They generally have no incentive to move here. The exception being the farmland in South-Dade and the incentive is work that theyre most willing to take.
Is not even about only incentives and neither is about just inmigrants straight from Mexico.Millions of Mexicans live in this country legally and can move where they choose.There's a reason why they moved to Texas and them states on the border which were once Mexican territory because they on the border!But they also settled in Oregon Idaho,the Carolina's far away from home.Also the demand of jobs might not be high in Miami but there is certainly jobs.So dont nobody come saying is the lack of jobs as a general reason.They don't have to settle in masses.But the truth is 1 or 2 Mexicans in a county where most cities you go to you find Mexicans specially with the high percentage of Latino population is just bizarre.Also Latinos in general will choose a city which have welcomed and made sucessful other Latinos of course!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've never quite understood the animosity from some Spanish speaking groups toward Cubans, I don't know if it's jealousy or what. When I lived in Miami, a Cuban fellow I did business with took me to lunch at Versailles along with a lady, I forget if she was from Colombia or Venezuela. Anyway the lunch seemed to be going well, the two of them were air-kissing and smiling and chatting at each other, then he gets up and goes to the men's room and she turns to me with these big eyes and says quietly "I f_______ing hate Cubans" and goes back to eating. I nearly fell out of my chair.

When I moved over here, I was at an estate sale and this guy from Mexico was there and he started going off on Cubans and how lazy and arrogant they were and I was shocked because that wasn't my experience at all. You'd think these folks would be grateful, since the Cubans established a foothold for them in Florida.

Hilarious! Cubans have a very aggressive outlook of things in general.But that doesnt make them bad people.They just hard and uneasy,very territorial,just rebels by nature.Is understandable for some people not to be able to follow their pace.One reason why I think Mexicans are scare of Miami is that environment where Cubans make you have to be quick and on point from driving to the cash register to saying what you really mean!!! In the other hand is one of the richest cultures we have in Latin America.How could you not find ways of understanding them.And by the way a Cuban fights with you today but tomorrow they fine then fight you next day again till you love them jajaj .You just have to get used to it.!!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloRNone View Post
There are plenty of Mexicans-descendants living in Homestead and Florida City, and most were born in Texas.
Yes But Homestead is another distant story almost a county on its own!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I'll say this for Colombians, though. In general, they've got a LOT of class. One of the best kept secrets right now is the "Colombian Miracle". While the US degenerates, Colombia is on the mend and improving at a vast rate, and this news is being suppressed by the media big-time. Because the media HATES good news like that. And it doesn't fit the Nancy Pelosi narrative of Colombia as a "terrorist" state. What a bunch of BS. In fact, if they'll have me, I may consider it for retirement. Beautiful country, people working hard to improve their homeland.
I think the bad stories about Colombia are also being suppressed.In general Colombia lost significance in the US.Interestingly now,there's concentrations of Colombians in Europe now more than ever.So Europe is more the place to go this days for Colombians also Ecuadorians and probably most South Americans except Venezuelans who are actually immigrating now more often to the US.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
In hindsight this was a good thing. South Beach and Brickell came out from the Colombian drug money. At least they contributed to the US.

Very truth but is still happening maybe not straight up Colombian drug money but so many luxury buildings going up at the pace is going shows enough money flowing coming out of nowhere when Miami is not producing that type of money for people to live off.I believe Miami got to be one of the biggests places for money laundering and tricks of the sort from dirty money. A drug cartel or mafia must be controlling how the money is moving because there's a whole lot of money to be made off of drugs in the streets and so it is way much more as an entrance point to the US market and hub as such.Back on the day Colombians ran Miami,but so they did have a lot of power in NyC where the market was more competitive for everybody but they had in their hands what everyone else needed. In the end Colombians lost their power to give it to Mexicans who wasn't never even involved in that type of business.

Last edited by GlowFlow; 06-27-2014 at 04:01 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Is that a fact? What "orders" were those, I'd like to know? Because whatever they were, it seemed to work for Miami. Well, except for the cocaine cowboys shooting things out with each other.

Ferre self-identifies as Puerto Rican and Hispanic. These days, people are pretty much whatever they say they are.

True Indeed.The Man says he feels PortoRican and definitely do not act or speak like a Cuban.And Cubans don't consider him Cuban regardless of his roots either.. unless is for trivialities like this! There was over 200,000 Cubans who immigrated to Puerto Rico after the revolution took power so they grew up as Puerto Ricans and married Puerto Ricans and eventually assimiliated as Puerto Ricans.There's a lot of Cuba-Ricans around for that reason this days.

Last edited by GlowFlow; 06-27-2014 at 04:00 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Because Miami is a CUBAN run city!!!! Puerto Ricans seem to like Orlando for some reason.
Ok Orlando.But people forget the high amount of Puerto Ricans living in Broward County is actually pretty high all around specially in Hollywood/Pembroke Pines which happens to be just 15 Mins from the border of Dade County. Also In Pompano and go on to Palm Beach County which have many Puerto Ricans scaterred around all over and in Lake Worth is a little town full of Ricans also Lantana and Delray the west side of Wes Palm.Then Fort Pierce have a good chunk of Puerto Ricans together with St Lucie which seem to me like transplants from other states rather than transplants from the island . Daytona,Jacksonville (specially lately) and Tampa have long history of the Puerto Ricans living around so does Naples.So in other words Puerto Ricans are colonizing all Florida slowly but surely manily because Cubans have refused to do so for the most so dont say the Puerto Ricans have gone ''just'' to ORLANDO.!

Last edited by GlowFlow; 06-27-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowFlow View Post
True Indeed.The Man says he feels PortoRican and definitely do not act or speak like a Cuban.And Cubans don't consider him Cuban regardless of his roots either.. unless is for trivialities like this! There was over 200,000 Cubans who immigrated to Puerto Rico after the revolution took power so they grew up as Puerto Ricans and married Puerto Ricans and eventually assimiliated as Puerto Ricans.There's way too many Cuba-Ricans around for that reason now.

Most Cubans that went to PR after the revolution are now in Miami, there's no such thing as Cuba-Ricans.

I recall there were PR and Dominicans living in the SW area many decades ago, almost in the downtown area, a place called Vietnam.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Most Cubans that went to PR after the revolution are now in Miami, there's no such thing as Cuba-Ricans.

I recall there were PR and Dominicans living in the SW area many decades ago, almost in the downtown area, a place called Vietnam.
There's still a sizable population of Cubans in the island and many famous people who is CubanRican! .That's a fact.Is obvious they were going to mingle and mix with the Islanders after spending years together. And is true many left the island and went to Miami but many did with PuertoRican blood in them already. And that was only after the late 80's. They started leaving to Miami as the new wave of immigrants from Dominican Rep. started going full force to Puerto Rico instead.. till today.

Last edited by GlowFlow; 06-27-2014 at 04:44 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 03:56 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:
I've never quite understood the animosity from some Spanish speaking groups toward Cubans, I don't know if it's jealousy or what. When I lived in Miami, a Cuban fellow I did business with took me to lunch at Versailles along with a lady, I forget if she was from Colombia or Venezuela. Anyway the lunch seemed to be going well, the two of them were air-kissing and smiling and chatting at each other, then he gets up and goes to the men's room and she turns to me with these big eyes and says quietly "I f_______ing hate Cubans" and goes back to eating. I nearly fell out of my chair.

When I moved over here, I was at an estate sale and this guy from Mexico was there and he started going off on Cubans and how lazy and arrogant they were and I was shocked because that wasn't my experience at all. You'd think these folks would be grateful, since the Cubans established a foothold for them in Florida.

Being raised a Catholic, I grew up in the Northeast with old guard Cuban families. One of my classmates in grammar school went on to go to Princeton, became a doctor and later a medical entrepreneur. In high school, when we moved, it was the Cuban American daughters of good families who made me feel welcome in a new town and new school and invited me to their parties, when the other girls were all standoffish. Two of those Cuban girls went on to become attorneys. When I moved to South Florida, it was the Cuban American women from my school network that invited me into their homes and made me feel welcome in a new area again.

To say that the US didn't net much from Cubans, I really don't know how one measures the contribution of one group vs another to the US. When I lived in Miami, I did business with many Cuban Americans over the years. We knew lawyers, doctors, architects, media people, entertainers, etc. I was most grateful to the Estefans and to Jon Secada for providing South Florida with encouragement and high morale after Hurricane Andrew. When we moved over here, I was impressed what the Cuban community had accomplished in Tampa back in the day, those cigar factories provided work for many and also are architectural landmarks. The people were cultured, in fact while they worked they had "readers" who would read to them from the newspapers to keep them informed and up on current events.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Mariel boatlift, that was problematic. And of course, in the late 1990s, things started to change drastically as far as the business climate for Anglos in Miami, so we left.

Apart from speaking Spanish, I don't see any similarity between Cubans, at least the ones arrived during the 50's, 60's and 70's and even normal fellows arriving during Mariel and other Spanish speaking groups.

In fact, I don't see any similarity between Latin Americans living in Miami during the 70's and 80's with the ones arriving during the 90's and onward. Totally different.

For example, I remember that most people from South America in Miami during the 60's and 70's were not hispanic, lots of Germans, Lebanese, Jews, Italians, Spanish. I quite recall there were lots of German Brazilians with lots of stores selling about anything to the "givemetwos".

In fact, the gulf between Cubans arriving after the raft crisis and the "exilio" and descendants is apalling, as the difference between Papuans and Australians.

So if the Census Bureau keeps piling very different people under the same category, they would have to do the same to everybody that speaks English. I don't understand why AA, Indians or Jamaicans are not anglos, for instance.

I would venture that the difference in race and class inside any American country (the entire continent) is far wider that national differences.

Last edited by Miserere; 06-27-2014 at 04:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami