Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 PM

696 posts, read 904,949 times

Advertisements

During a hurricane do you get tap water or does it shut off? And if it shuts off how long is it usually off for? Also do you ever have sewage water come out from the tap during a hurricane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
During Andrew, Wilma and Katrina neither myself nor any of my friends lost water service. However, since the county has to run on backup generators when the power goes out, pressure is reduced. Those of us with wells never run out of water unless we do not have generators ourselves.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
I also never lost water, during or after any hurricanes, not even Andrew. The pressure was considerably lower after Andrew for a while though.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:14 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
In Andrew we didn't lose water but the pressure was way low and the water was somewhat rusty looking. We had to boil the water for a period of two weeks.

For all the other hurricanes that didn't happen except for low pressure.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM

In Andrew we didn't lose water but the pressure was way low and the water was somewhat rusty looking. We had to boil the water for a period of two weeks.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 PM

696 posts, read 904,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post

Was it safe to wash your hands or shower with the water without boiling it?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Was it safe to wash your hands or shower with the water without boiling it?
Our clothes got ruined with tub washing, so we boiled our water for drinking and showered at my parents which were two miles away, since they had well water. We were out of power for about-almost five weeks and when we finally got power I literally ran to the meter and kissed it!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 AM

I too remember the rusty water. However, we did already have a R-O filter and used that for drinking water. Power was off for over a month, but the second day after Andrew I was so bored and frustrated that I started raiding the trash piles and getting junk from friends to build a wood gasifier for the old generator I had at my parents home. Once we got the generator running on gasoline and could weld it only took two days to get the wood gas system working and we spent the following weeks enjoying hot water, some air conditioning and running the washing machine. By the time the county had increased water pressure and clothes came out clean. Even after power was restored we continued to run the generator to help clean up the debris. I was quite frustrated with the inept Tampa electric guys who were supposed to "fix" the power but in a way thanked them for giving me incentive to build my first wood powered generator.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
During a hurricane do you get tap water or does it shut off? And if it shuts off how long is it usually off for? Also do you ever have sewage water come out from the tap during a hurricane?
By the way, I forgot to mention that without power sewage pumps do not work. Unless you have a septic tank all sewers rely on gravity and electricity to move sewage. It is simply not possible to dig the main lines deep enough to let gravity move sewage all the way to Key Biscayne. So every 1/2 mile or so there are pits where sewage collects then is pumped to a forced main for treatment. I had a friend in the South Miami heights area who was dealing with sewage overflowing in the street from the manhole cover. However, since the water supply is a separate system it is physically impossible for sewage to come out of the tap.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
By the way, I forgot to mention that without power sewage pumps do not work. Unless you have a septic tank all sewers rely on gravity and electricity to move sewage. It is simply not possible to dig the main lines deep enough to let gravity move sewage all the way to Key Biscayne. So every 1/2 mile or so there are pits where sewage collects then is pumped to a forced main for treatment. I had a friend in the South Miami heights area who was dealing with sewage overflowing in the street from the manhole cover. However, since the water supply is a separate system it is physically impossible for sewage to come out of the tap.
Hubby told me that in the event of a hurricane they will put generators on the pump sumps located in areas that are down. He works with the compliance dept of Derm and since Andrew they greatly improved a contingency plan for the suburbs. Now the high rise buildings are a another thing altogether, hopefully that all have a backup generator for each building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami