Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 71,882 times

Advertisements

Those were horse shoe crabs along the sand bar. They would burrow their body in the sand and have their tail sticking up. You would get a big surprise walking on one of those. Man of war were also a problem at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 71,882 times
By the way do people still go to venetian pool in coral gables. I went there once in my younger years and remember the water was very cold.I remember also there was a water slide off 836 near the hialeah exit. James L Knight center was the main place for music concerts.The grove had the Rocky Horror show. There was also a small pub like bar in the grove that played reggae music. The Promenade on Ocean drive use to free Reggae performances and dance floor. In my oinion it was better than the clevelander. Cameo theater.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,938 times
The beautiful Venetian pool is still open.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 70,467 times
Default Riverboat Playhouse

Does anyone remember Riverboat Playhouse in the Kendall Lakes Mall??

I don't think that any of the robotic figures were EVER all working correctly....!LOL

Old 06-16-2008, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 70,467 times
Just to add to a prior post about the Green Thumb nursery on US1...they also had a pet monkey that some dirt bag stole one night..

How about south dixie discount drugstore a few doors down where Damiami is now.... right next to Lums that was eventually bought and re-named MUMS!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,524 times
Does anyone remember a restaurant in Homestead simply called The Restaurant? My family would go there in the early 80's and they had the best hamburgers and corn bread.

Also would like to know if anyone remembers the Publix in the Coral Reef/Palmetto area that had a restaraunt and if the Publix is still there, do they still have it? My dad and I ate there at least four times a week since he couldn't cook and they always had free coleslaw with each meal.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,316 times
The Publix is still there, the restaurant is gone. This was the #1 Store in the chain until Dadeland opened. The store opened where the old Dixie Drive in used to be. The Dadeland store is about where the Dadeland theater used to be. There was also a Publix in Suniland, which had the old style sign out front. I was a Manager of that Store, and I remember the first day we had lottery tickets, the line went out the door all day. Back then, very few places sold tickets, so if you wanted to buy them, you had to expect long lines on Saturdays. We also had S & H green stamps. I live in CLT, NC now, and Lowes foods gives digital green stamps, which you can use to get free food. Pretty cool! You cant buy beer or wine here until noon on Sundays, back in the day at Publix, you couldnt buy either all day on Sunday. I even remember when Publix was closed all day on Sunday. How times change...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
The Publix is still there, the restaurant is gone. This was the #1 Store in the chain until Dadeland opened. The store opened where the old Dixie Drive in used to be. The Dadeland store is about where the Dadeland theater used to be. There was also a Publix in Suniland, which had the old style sign out front. I was a Manager of that Store, and I remember the first day we had lottery tickets, the line went out the door all day. Back then, very few places sold tickets, so if you wanted to buy them, you had to expect long lines on Saturdays. We also had S & H green stamps. I live in CLT, NC now, and Lowes foods gives digital green stamps, which you can use to get free food. Pretty cool! You cant buy beer or wine here until noon on Sundays, back in the day at Publix, you couldnt buy either all day on Sunday. I even remember when Publix was closed all day on Sunday. How times change...
I am sorry to hear that the Publix restaurant is gone. That was the one on US1 and I believe they opened in the early 80's. That is the one you are talking about right? One thing I also remember is that my 4th grade teacher from Coral Reef Elem ate there a lot and since he and my dad became friends I had to not only be with him during the school days but then again in the evening. Thank God he was a teacher I liked lol.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,316 times
Yea, thats the one. A Publix liquor went in instead.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Yea, thats the one. A Publix liquor went in instead.
That's a shame. As much as I hated my dad dragging me there nearly everyday, the food was good and the people who worked there were so nice. So nice in fact that my dad dated two of the waitresses lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami