Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 AM

23 posts, read 94,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyadei View Post
OMG I was born and raised in Miami .........

I use to love the Tropicaire/Flea Market at the drive in on Bird Road.
----------- Miami has changed... I want the old MIA back!!!

Just Remember that the flea market was right across the street from the horse racing track, and now its just a park..........
Tropical Park..... I totally remembering the smell of horsey poopey.... My dad used to take me to the Flea Market at the drive in theater to which you refer....

Yeah.......... dont we all wish we had the old Miami back.
I know I do.
????????????????
(Venetian Pool in the late 60's--how about that one) And Jahns and the REAL Miracle Mile.... oh yeah.. oh yeah... the best deli/restaurant/bakery was on Miracle Mile. They made the best onion (now what we call foccia bread). but was really a Jewish unleavened flat bread with toasted onion.
Gawd, that was good....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 03:19 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
It was also called the "Merry-Go-Round-Playhouse" in the very old days; and wasn't it on Aragon??? Also, on the same street was "The Nook" and that's going back to the late 60s..... anyone remember that?
--------

Coney

It was a very small Cinema in Alhambra, near Miracle Mile. Very good European movies (back in those times there were good European movies). It was some sort of "Cult Movie Theater". People that went there were somewhat preppy, snobbish.

Later the same owner, Chediak, opened another one called Cinema Take One. Very good movies.

I remember the one that you mentioned, a theater with cult movies, many people stoned, freakies, very interesting, wasn't the place where they projected Rocky Horror Show?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Did venetian pool closed down? If it did when?

I really liked that pool even though the water was usually REALLY COLD!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Did venetian pool closed down? If it did when?

I really liked that pool even though the water was usually REALLY COLD!!!!
It shut down for reconstruction for a little while, but I think it just reopened recently.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM

The pool is still open, they have a website........I loved that pool... I remember the dank smell in the locker rooms back in the 60's.....LOL.....

Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
I loved staying at the Vagabond Motel on 73rd and Biscayne Boulevard as a child with my dad in the early to mid-sixties. It was a great motel back then and I hear now that it is a fruit market on the weekends.I believe they consider it to be a part of the MIMO on BIBO preservation area.

I also remember the Toddle House down the street,along with the Playboy Club on 77th and Biscayne where there now is a Discount Auto Parts,my dad was a member of the club and said everything no matter what cost a $1.50(1960's prices).

Last edited by noland123; 07-03-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I loved staying at the Vagabond Motel on 73rd and Biscayne Boulevard as a child with my dad in the early to mid-sixties. It was a great motel back then and I hear now that it is a fruit market on the weekends.I believe they consider it to be a part of the MIMO on BIBO preservation area.

I also remember the Toddle House down the street,along with the Playboy Club on 77th and Biscayne where there now is a Discount Auto Parts,my dad was a member of the club and said everything no matter what cost a $1.50(1960's prices).
Actually, if you think about it, $1.50 sounds steep for that time..... I guess the "tail" had something to do with it.....LOL

Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 AM

46 posts, read 180,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshnut View Post
i remember watching "snipets" on WCIX Channel 6!

YouTube - Snipets V4
Does anyone else remember a local show on Channel 2 called "Time For School"? It was an educational show with a teacher named Mrs. Hack. There was also a puppet called "Drucilla the Dragon" and a young woman with dark hair and a long Italian last name who played piano. It was on when Channel 2 was still WTHS and was part of NET (predessor to PBS). It was ijn black and white and ran for 15 minutes. No one I knew from S. Florida seems to remember it.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM

14 posts, read 99,603 times
I only lived in Miami for a couple of years, age 10-11, before moving to Fort Lauderdale where I went to high school (Stranahan, class of '72). Been living here in St Louis, MO since then, haven't been back to South Florida. It seems from your post that a lot of the things I remember are gone. I bowled at the Coliseum, ate at Sweden House and Royal Castle, and visited the Wax Museum.

There are a few other memories that I know are now gone: Charlie Baxter as MT Graves; Skipper Chuck Zink; Dolphins' games on the radio with Rick Weaver and Larry King (yes THAT Larry King); sports reports with Morris McLemore and Joe Cronin (Channel 7?); the thrill of watching the Jackie Gleason Show broadcast live from Miami every week; the annual arrival of Santa at the downtown Jordan Marsh; Baltimore Orioles games on TV and radio.

My favorite pizza came from a place called Meyer's - any idea if that's still around? Sticking with restaurants, how about Wolfie's for corned beef and ice cream? Lum's, with their beer-steamed hot dogs? Is Royal Castle completely gone? - they'd just switched over to a completely automated ordering system when I lived there, and changed their name to Royal Carouselle.

The two big grocery chains were Winn-Dixie and Food Fair. Are they still around, or have they been usurped?

Are there still fishing piers adjacent to the public beaches? I specifically remember Haulover Pier. I once saw a guy catch a huge barracuda off that pier, just yards from bathers - is that still around?

So many questions - what do others remember about Miami in the mid-late 1960's, into the early 1970's?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:54 PM

14 posts, read 99,603 times
Default Money

I remember the Hot Shoppe at the intersection of U.S. and Bird Road, on the southeast corner, I think. I was never inside, and then it shut down (around 1970?) and sat there for a while. They had a pretty cool red/orange neon sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami