Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,087,646 times

Advertisements

http://www.charlesphoenix.com/images/slide-of-the-week/large//2006/2007-03-09-PICKIN%20CHICKEN.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,115,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNativeMiamian View Post
Calusa was an awesome course and club. Didn't they have a breakfast buffet there on the weekends? The last time I was there was when they were operating out of the trailer. I had no idea they finally closed. Another nail in the coffin of Old Miami.
That is cool that you played tennis off the east wall of Don Carters. What a great memory. Remember when Don Carters was the end of the road? Driving out there was like driving to no mans land. Remember College Park Inn? Here's an old one...Village Mall. Remember that mall on the south west corner of Kendall and 97th Avenue. There was I believe a Pantry Pride there. Also a pet shop, Carvel, five and ten store, comic store, and then later a surf shop. Oh, and the Chicken Unlimited on the corner. The mall seemed always empty. My parents would go grocery shopping and we would go to the comic store or pet store...we were pretty young too. That wouldn't happen today.
I've searched the internet for pictures of the old Miami we are talking about. It seems there are more pictures of Miami in the 20's through 50's than there are of the 60's through 70's. I only found one distant picture of the Gold Triangle, no good pictures of Don Carters, Serpentarium, Lums, Village Mall, and especially Colonial Golf Course. Have you ever seen or searched for any? I'd appreciate any ideas.

I remember there being a restaurant there too that my Grandmother took me to - want to say it was something like 3 or 5 Sisters,

Does anyone remember a restaurant near S Dixie and 57th Avenue, I think it was called The Yumbrella?

I remember every year at summer day camp at The Youth Center they'd take us to The Serpentarium, among others. Loved when we went on tour at the Holsum Bread on Sunset in South Miami

Here's the Google link showing quite a few pics of the Serpentarium

"miami serpentarium" - Google Search=

Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,882,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

Also, way back, someone mentioned Xtra Supermarkets. There is an Extra Supermarket on SW 8th St...is this the same thing? It's kinda run down, dark and dingy inside but you can get meat pretty cheap there.

That Extra isn't the same. I also remember the Xtra's were open 24 hours.
My dh has told me about that Yumbrella restaurant. He remembers it.

My sil was married at Calusa Country Club. They had to draw maps for all the guests because it was way out in the "country".

Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 PM

289 posts, read 446,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiEric View Post
Were those green stamps that I think you paste to a sheet. Not sure of the store that accepted them. May be it was the 5&10 cent store (which was in the suniland strip mall) that had the electronic horse and the machine for those large balloons. lol

For some reason all I remember is the 5 & 10 store, publix, suniland movie theater, j byrons and the post office close by.

I remember there were coupons in the weekly news paper that one could cut out and see a movie for a discounted price at suniland movie theater.

I remember peaches and spec the specs near 136st ( the falls area ) was Q's record and tapes I use to buy a lot of records there. I use to cross US1 by going under it via the canal that was behind the falls which would exit right near Q's and wendy's. Oh I actually I worked at spec's near south Miami for a week once lol.
Senns Five and Dime!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNativeMiamian View Post
Calusa was an awesome course and club. Didn't they have a breakfast buffet there on the weekends? The last time I was there was when they were operating out of the trailer. I had no idea they finally closed. Another nail in the coffin of Old Miami.
That is cool that you played tennis off the east wall of Don Carters. What a great memory. Remember when Don Carters was the end of the road? Driving out there was like driving to no mans land. Remember College Park Inn? Here's an old one...Village Mall. Remember that mall on the south west corner of Kendall and 97th Avenue. There was I believe a Pantry Pride there. Also a pet shop, Carvel, five and ten store, comic store, and then later a surf shop. Oh, and the Chicken Unlimited on the corner. The mall seemed always empty. My parents would go grocery shopping and we would go to the comic store or pet store...we were pretty young too. That wouldn't happen today.
I've searched the internet for pictures of the old Miami we are talking about. It seems there are more pictures of Miami in the 20's through 50's than there are of the 60's through 70's. I only found one distant picture of the Gold Triangle, no good pictures of Don Carters, Serpentarium, Lums, Village Mall, and especially Colonial Golf Course. Have you ever seen or searched for any? I'd appreciate any ideas.
Tried to order from College Park last time I was home, only to find out it's no longer there . Think the new place was called Sand Dunes or something like that.

Front Page at the Village Mall! Bought all my OP stuff at the surf shop. There was also a Chinese restaurant there.

Chicken Unlimited was our go-to lunch place in high school (Killian). College Park every now and then, but usually CU. And also Anthonys. Yum.

Calusa, from someone else's post, was where we had our 9th grade prom (Arvida Jr. High).

Old 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
An empty lot that looked like an abandoned golf course. There was a plant nursery next to US-1 by the railroad tracks and some kind of junk yard for old equipment near the canal.
There was a goony golf place on the SE corner of US 1 and 136th St. And then Godfather's Pizza, Zayre's and an arcade on the NE side.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
Tried to order from College Park last time I was home, only to find out it's no longer there . Think the new place was called Sand Dunes or something like that.

Front Page at the Village Mall! Bought all my OP stuff at the surf shop. There was also a Chinese restaurant there.

Chicken Unlimited was our go-to lunch place in high school (Killian). College Park every now and then, but usually CU. And also Anthonys. Yum.

Calusa, from someone else's post, was where we had our 9th grade prom (Arvida Jr. High).
Jock Shop! Been trying to remember the name of that place.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,388,533 times
I miss the Cafe La Union and Market. It was right off of NE79th Street in the Belle Meade area, just west of the President Supermarket and past the river. I went there nearly every day back in 2008 when I was there. Very informal hole in the wall joint, but AWESOME food and a very friendly staff. I miss the Restaurant and I miss them!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,032,305 times
2008? LOL

I remember when I had to take my senior yearbook pictures they sent us to a studio across the street of Miami Dade Kendall campus. I felt like I was traveling to Key West. Anything west of US1 felt like so far away

In the early 90's there was a clothing store that sold pretty cheap clothes. I think their logo was white and they had one across the Dadeland south station(in a strip mall where there is or was a bagel shop and a natural food store. They also had one in coral gables, probably around miracle mile. I cant remember the name

I bought my first clothes at jbyrons, shopped at X- and the Publix at sunnyland, also bought clothes at Dadeland mall when Macy's had a different name, went to the bakery centre to watch movies, went to Wendy's in south miami when they still had a salad bar, specs and peaches were super popular, bought cassettes and CDs there. Did jbyrons sell music too? Maybe I'm confused. There was a small "discount store" on us1 between dadeland north and dadeland south where the service was horrendous already. (maybe that's where all the poor Miami service started) andalucia bakery on us1 and Downtown miami always so good

At least the people in the future will have more pictures, videos and forums to remember the past times. I feel our generation(x and part of y) is the last generation where all we have is memories.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,147,968 times
^^^^ Fox Studios?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami