U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 PM

8,344 posts, read 15,893,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
I don't live in Florida but will hopefully live there in the next 2 years, but I just watched a documentary on this lady and was wondering if anyone was around when she was terrorizing the streets of Miami??? “Cocaine godmother” Griselda Blanco gunned down in Colombia - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
I was at the dentist the same day they had the Dadeland shooting. Also witnessed a shootout three houses down from my parent's home where drug dealers killed each other before police arrived to take photos of the remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM

245 posts, read 186,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I was at the dentist the same day they had the Dadeland shooting. Also witnessed a shootout three houses down from my parent's home where drug dealers killed each other before police arrived to take photos of the remains.
Wow, about how old were you when that was happening?? Were you a kid, or were you old enough to know about her and all the stuff going down around there because of her and her henchman??

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM

233 posts, read 46,593 times
I remember police picking seven blacks that were shot near a channel in Miller Road, or a neigbor on top of me being shot ten feet from me, he was an undercover cop. I remember the Bounty, parties at Coconut Grove with those famous salt shakers.

All those things only affected those involved in drug activities, except when an entire family was wiped out, including dog and inlaws....A lot of them in Kendall.

That year, we were making bets to see if the death toll would hit 1000, I lost some money because it only got to 700 or so.

Now, the question... could Miami support such activities and the bad rep during many years? Maybe I'm not being ethical, but the answer is yes, why not?

Hell, with all those things going on and Miami was still a nice place to stay before Mariel and the riots, that did it.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM

92 posts, read 95,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
I don't live in Florida but will hopefully live there in the next 2 years, but I just watched a documentary on this lady and was wondering if anyone was around when she was terrorizing the streets of Miami??? “Cocaine godmother” Griselda Blanco gunned down in Colombia - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
I was around though I was young. I remember the Dadeland shooting vividly because I lived near there and used to go there a lot with my parents. I also lived near the corner where the little boy was shot (one of the stories told in the documentary). What I remember most about growing up in the 80s was an uneasy feeling about safety because you couldn't turn on the news or read the Herald (or News - RIP) without learning about more murders and other violent crimes. And it didn't let up in the early 90s. It was no longer predominately drug cartel-fueled violence, but Miami was still a violent city. I feel it is much better today. Could be wrong, but at least I'm not unnerved like I was as a kid.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,130 times
Smile Request for memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I thought it would be memorable to name well-known people and places that were a part of Miami at one time but are no longer here. Who are some of your favorite well-known celebrities who have died and what are your favorite places or establishments that have been demolished?

Noland

This is a question about old restaurants in South Miami. I was a bouncer who worked some of the original nightclubs in the area of South Miami, Coconut Grove, Dadeland, Kendall,(Visions, Faces, Manhattans ,One South). When the clubs closed we would eat breakfast at 1 of 2 places which had the same name. Had the best breakfasts. One was in front of Holsom bakery in South Miami on US1 and the other was at SW 168 Street and US1. Do u remember the name by any chance? One of the bouncers I worked w/ was named Otto. Ah for the good old days. Harold Diamond used to have a Karate studio across the street (Kendall Drive) from Visions nightclub in the 1980s.Crown nightclub was across the street on Kendall Drive From Don Carters. My wife tended bar there, same era. You want names of old places 1978- 1985 in South Miami? I know and lived them all. Gyms, bars, restaurants, people speaking English ect/.

Thanks

Sundance2004s

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,508,469 times
^^^ I am almost sure that you are talking about Marshall Majors, am I right or wrong.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,130 times
Noland

Never mind, I figured it out. > They were called Thurmonds Restaurants. They were the only thing open between 5-6 am. Before there was a Waffle house on every corner

Thanks
Sundance2004s

Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 PM

1,334 posts, read 912,330 times
No Waffle Houses down here. I think they stop at Broward.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,508,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
No Waffle Houses down here. I think they stop at Broward.
No, the Keys also have awful houses.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 AM

381 posts, read 292,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

You were living in Kendall, I gather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami