Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 AM

106 posts, read 174,121 times

Advertisements

Considering California is in a state of emergency, due to droughts (and on top of that tremors/ earthquakes) and a declining economy, I wouldn't want to live there. S. Florida seems far better overall for living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:28 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post
Considering California is in a state of emergency, due to droughts (and on top of that tremors/ earthquakes) and a declining economy, I wouldn't want to live there. S. Florida seems far better overall for living.
San Francisco is a beautiful place, Miami is a beautiful place but what I have found on this forum is that anywhere you live it is a trade-off, so there is no perfect place to go and live, just ain't gonna find it. Some places seem exciting at first and then the novelty wears off. Just be happy wear you move to and adjust or just stay where you are.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Connor View Post
I dont want it all. Is a downtown too much to ask for? In the Midwest (Indiana, Illinois), you have rock bottom prices and downtowns and cheap prices all around. At least a Main Street! There is not even a main street here. Why cant this be the same?
Downtowns have been dying since the 70s and the creation of malls, which I do not frequent, but you said you do. There are no more downtowns because life has changed. There are no small businesses that can open up and succeed like in the old days. Everything is large corporations. You should look into the Las Olas ares of Fort Lauderdale, You could prolly find a home a block away and there are small shops still lining the streets there.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 PM

400 posts, read 515,443 times
I'm also new to the area and did research before choosing a semi-permanent area. I am not going to be as direct as other comments, but was the research done all on Internet? No direct contact with a Realtor. The OP mentions "to be closer to the Family" they did not help or did some exploration since they're local?
And not everyone can do it, but I visited the area for a couple of weeks, before choosing a place.

When You get bored, go drive thru Opa-Locka and Allapatha and compare to where You're staying right now. The kid will probably liven up at the sights on those towns.

Expecting, or hoping that urban San Francisco could be replicated in Florida suburbia was already setting yourself for disappointment. I don't read each and every thread, but there are several in the vein of "Moved from New York, London - insert densely populated urban area of the World here - and we don't like Florida where there's nothing to do..."

Doral huh? Get a Sea-Doo, it's like Minesota over there.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:18 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
The OP mentions "to be closer to the Family" they did not help or did some exploration since they're local?
I believe the tro...I mean OP... has moved on. He was here posting for less than 24 hours about a week ago, wrote 14 separate whines about Doral, and has not returned since. I don't think you'll get a response to your question and other comments.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 PM

15 posts, read 25,112 times
John I felt the same when I moved here. The make up of this city is vastly different with so many cultures. In dade county if you want safe, Walk ability, and a down town feel you have south beach, coral gables, aventura, and bal harbor. I left out brickell because its still growing but will be a bigger nicer area to brag about. These areas are not going to provide you with inexpensive "downtown" purchases, but you can get reasonable housing. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-06-2014 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Solicitation

Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 AM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
Somehow, nowadays having a Downtown means having a row of the most diverse restaurants. That and more restaurants. Plus a restaurant here and there. Did I forgot restaurants? yes more restaurants.

If you are looking for a more traditional downtown, where a dentist is next to the barber shop, next to the diner, etc, then you have to look for less touristy places, like Miami Springs.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Connor View Post
Hi all,

Nice to meet you all!

My wife and I moved from California (San Francisco) to Doral a month ago - job related and the prospect of owning a cheaper home and being closer to family allured us. Words cannot express the disappointment I feel about this place. We came from a dense, downtown area east of the Bay with arts, a little pub scene, Victorian homes, big parks, and a rocks throw away from SF and Oakland to this place - strip malls, wide roads, boring roads. When I drive around here, I see literally, death on Earth. I almost started to cry when my wife and I passed by the downtown area thats being built with that White House looking thing. That looks like a carbon copy over produced area that does not have flavor.

I feel like I'm losing my soul and I dont smile anymore in my home

The only thing good about this place is that we paid the most taxes in Cali and now we dont pay state tax. Plus the food is good but there is absolutely nothing here. The Miami International Mall is basic, the Aventura mall is too rich, the Dolphin mall is OK. The gated communities are sleep inducing, I;m wasting too many miles driving in my leased car. If I want to use the toilet, I have to drive a mile. Throw out the trash - another mile. Go to my mailbox - another mile.

Last week, I went to Coco Walk in Coconut Grove to get a haircut. That brought me back to civilization - again, a downtown area. Is there anything remotely close to that in the North and West? My wife and I would like to buy a house but I don't want to buy it in this place of death. This is without question the most boring , sleep inducing place I've ever seen and I've been to many cities - Europe, America, South America. This is unbelievable, I cannot believe people would consider living here for any reason. Please let me know if there is a downtown area in the North or West, otherwise I will consider the East.

Thank you
You want to live in a downtown area, with the dirt and the pigeons? I think San Francisco has damaged your sanity. I've been to San Francisco about a dozen times on business, it's the most foolish and pretentious place to live. You can't walk there, the hills are a pain. Driving is even more stupid, everything is parallel parking. I was driving and came to a Stop sign and couldn't even see the road ahead because of the hill. And let's not forget the narcissistic people who let their dogs go without a leash near the Wharf, because laws don't apply to them. Arts? What arts is there, please? Where can you go hear jazz, and I mean really good jazz nightly like you can in New York City. Sorry you don't like Florida, but please don't compare San Francisco as a better place. Out of the dozen or so times I've been to San Francisco it's rained most of the time, has an overcast and cold even during the summer. Yeah, even during the freaking summer you have to wear a sweater to go out especially at night and a jacket.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:35 PM

400 posts, read 515,443 times
Not trying to get out of the subject of the thread, but like ..Man..Bethesda said, the original poster, the one who the Terminator was sent to eliminate, has moved on.
A bit interesting thou, while all the gripes from "Families" moving in from - Insert Huge Metropolitan Area Here - to Miami, this one focused on a very specific Municipality (is it?) outside Miami.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Not trying to get out of the subject of the thread, but like ..Man..Bethesda said, the original poster, the one who the Terminator was sent to eliminate, has moved on.
A bit interesting thou, while all the gripes from "Families" moving in from - Insert Huge Metropolitan Area Here - to Miami, this one focused on a very specific Municipality (is it?) outside Miami.
It's a city - but only very recently became a city. Before that it was more like a CDP. A suburb under the umbrella of the county. The links I posted give the history and reasons why people wanted to live there and the actions the county and locals took to manipulate the growth etc.

What I'm getting is, he wants someplace like Coconut Grove (est. 1919) to be up by Doral -I'm assuming his work location is in Doral.

LOL Doral started out as a GOLF resort for the Coconut Grove [beach] people to escape to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami