U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM

14 posts, read 29,422 times

Advertisements

That third link is very nice! Thank you for taking the time to do this ! I will map these all out and search on Redfin as well. Is South Miami like Cococut Grove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 06:09 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Connor View Post
That third link is very nice! Thank you for taking the time to do this ! I will map these all out and search on Redfin as well. Is South Miami like Cococut Grove?
To be fair San Francisco is an amazing city I would love to visit one day I cant really say their are any cities in the country like it.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Doral is the most overrated area/city in Dade County. Why anyone would want to live there still has me puzzled.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:19 PM

222 posts, read 221,410 times
South Miami has some similarities to Coconut Grove, but has its own vibe. I'd recommend you go check it out and feel it out...i'd also recommend you check out the other areas i listed. There really is plenty of urban areas in Miami.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:26 PM

8,170 posts, read 5,226,082 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Nice to meet you all!

My wife and I moved from California (San Francisco) to Doral a month ago - job related and the prospect of owning a cheaper home and being closer to family allured us. Words cannot express the disappointment I feel about this place. We came from a dense, downtown area east of the Bay with arts, a little pub scene, Victorian homes, big parks, and a rocks throw away from SF and Oakland to this place - strip malls, wide roads, boring roads. When I drive around here, I see literally, death on Earth. I almost started to cry when my wife and I passed by the downtown area thats being built with that White House looking thing. That looks like a carbon copy over produced area that does not have flavor.

I feel like I'm losing my soul and I dont smile anymore in my home

The only thing good about this place is that we paid the most taxes in Cali and now we dont pay state tax. Plus the food is good but there is absolutely nothing here. The Miami International Mall is basic, the Aventura mall is too rich, the Dolphin mall is OK. The gated communities are sleep inducing, I;m wasting too many miles driving in my leased car. If I want to use the toilet, I have to drive a mile. Throw out the trash - another mile. Go to my mailbox - another mile.

Last week, I went to Coco Walk in Coconut Grove to get a haircut. That brought me back to civilization - again, a downtown area. Is there anything remotely close to that in the North and West? My wife and I would like to buy a house but I don't want to buy it in this place of death. This is without question the most boring , sleep inducing place I've ever seen and I've been to many cities - Europe, America, South America. This is unbelievable, I cannot believe people would consider living here for house any reason. Please let me know if there is a downtown area in the North or West, otherwise I will consider the East.

Thank you
Sounds like you didn't check the area out very well before you decided to move there.

I don't understand the remark about having to drive a mile to use a toilet. When I lived in Miami- not in Doral, but our office was located there- I can assure you every house I lived in or visited, and every business I ever frequented had its own indoor plumbing, and I doubt that's changed, so having to drive so far just to answer the call of nature really isn't necessary, even in Miami.

I can imagine moving from a place you love, where you've become accustomed to all that the place offers, to a completely new and different area could be quite a shock to anyone. I don't know what you've invested in the move, or any commitments you may have that obligate you to stay there, at least for a time, but perhaps the area or what it offers may grow on you a bit once you've had a chance to explore- it's hard to judge anything when you've only been there for a month. Should you decide Miami is really not for you, and you move somewhere else, I can only suggest that you research your destination well, and do some soul searching to determine what you're really looking for in this life, otherwise you'll likely be as unhappy as you've described anywhere you go. Because there is no place on this planet that doesn't have its problems.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM

14 posts, read 29,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds like you didn't check the area out very well before you decided to move there.

I don't understand the remark about having to drive a mile to use a toilet. When I lived in Miami- not in Doral, but our office was located there- I can assure you every house I lived in or visited, and every business I ever frequented had its own indoor plumbing, and I doubt that's changed, so having to drive so far just to answer the call of nature really isn't necessary, even in Miami.

I can imagine moving from a place you love, where you've become accustomed to all that the place offers, to a completely new and different area could be quite a shock to anyone. I don't know what you've invested in the move, or any commitments you may have that obligate you to stay there, at least for a time, but perhaps the area or what it offers may grow on you a bit once you've had a chance to explore- it's hard to judge anything when you've only been there for a month. Should you decide Miami is really not for you, and you move somewhere else, I can only suggest that you research your destination well, and do some soul searching to determine what you're really looking for in this life, otherwise you'll likely be as unhappy as you've described anywhere you go. Because there is no place on this planet that doesn't have its problems.
Absolutely. The toilet remark was an exaggeration to show how you have to drive for everything here.

We moved here because of a work promotion, the allure of lower cost of living, and to be closer to family.

I'm from California. I had the Reno Nevada, Las Vegas, skiing, beaches, festivals, arts, miles of parks, grocery stores, that HEAVENLY top shelf California sun made GREEN stuff Colorado recently legalized, at every turn, and all that at my fingertips. To go from that to this is a shock to my mental state

I guess I'm very homesick and I know by checking out the urban areasin Miami, I will get my groove back, no doubt about it

Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM

135 posts, read 142,663 times
Quote:
I rent a one bedroom apartment in the Grove and it's a nice neighborhood near Brickell and Coral Gables, so you can't beat the location. However, it is expensive and getting more so everyday it seems. Single family homes in the Grove are probably stating between $800K and $1 million while townhomes are around $500K.

I hear South Miami is more affordable and in many ways their downtown is more vibrant than the Grove currently. However the Grove is transforming with some of the retail commercial spaces converting to office space and some new businesses are moving into the Grove like Panther Coffee.

I believe Miami Lakes is suburban but also has a small downtown. Suburban areas of Broward like Weston also have town centers.

I've only been to Doral for work related stuff and never been there to hang out or dine. I get the sense that it is a rapidly developing poorly planed community which is unfortunately too common in Miami.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM

222 posts, read 221,410 times
lmao trust me there is plenty of green stuff in doral...

Old 09-28-2014, 07:03 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,206,411 times
How does one move to an area and not have the slightest idea of what the area is like or about? It's as if you didn't even do 5 seconds worth of an Internet search on Doral. There are so many other places in the overall Miami/SoFla area that you could have moved to which would have met most of your expectations.

I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for your after-the-fact whining about where you blindly moved to.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:21 PM

20 posts, read 14,075 times
To the OP - I moved from Alameda to New York and am currently very unhappy here, so I can understand where you're at. I have been thinking about a move to Miami so I am curious to hear your impressions of the nice/walkable areas and comparison to Alameda/Berkeley. I made a very hasty decision to move to NYC and I'm now trying to escape the insane cost of living, freezing winters, and lack of ability to drive.

I also disliked driving everywhere in CA, but what I would do for a car now that I have to take public transit everywhere.

Last edited by Berkeley1945; 09-28-2014 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami