U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 PM

400 posts, read 288,375 times

Advertisements

I am brand new to the area, and have used the SR 836 several times in the last two months. I have gone from Downtown to the Mall of The Americas (to the 826) and back. I only saw Toll Road signs going back East, approaching the NW 17th Avenue exit, where I exit.
Reading about that Open Toll Road, says that if I don't have a SunPass it'll take a picture of my Licence Plate, hmm, Tag and mail me the bill. Two months of constant trips and no mails.

Now, there is a lot of construction at both of my exits, by the 826 on the West side, and right at the 17th Avenue on the East side. Does anyone know if because construction at those locations the Toll "detectors" are off?

Just went to get the Mini SunPass, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM

106 posts, read 113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
I am brand new to the area, and have used the SR 836 several times in the last two months. I have gone from Downtown to the Mall of The Americas (to the 826) and back. I only saw Toll Road signs going back East, approaching the NW 17th Avenue exit, where I exit.
Reading about that Open Toll Road, says that if I don't have a SunPass it'll take a picture of my Licence Plate, hmm, Tag and mail me the bill. Two months of constant trips and no mails.

Now, there is a lot of construction at both of my exits, by the 826 on the West side, and right at the 17th Avenue on the East side. Does anyone know if because construction at those locations the Toll "detectors" are off?

Just went to get the Mini SunPass, just in case.

I been in your shoes. I don't know weather they're are off or not, but I'll be happy to help you. If I were you I will call the SunPass' Toll-By-Plate at this number below , tell them your plate number, they will search for it and see how much you have been charged (if).

Good luck and welcome to the the 'Magic City'.

1-888-TOLL FLA
(1-888-865-5352)

Monday thru Friday, 7AM - 7PM

Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 PM

6,795 posts, read 10,195,019 times
Quote:
I normally take 112/195 westbound to NoBe, but I occasionally take 836/95N/195 from West Miami and one of those times was a week ago last Tuesday, Sept. 23rd. I just checked my SunPass account and confirmed that the lane was at least operational that day because I do have a charge at the appropriate time. Hope that helps.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post

Good luck and welcome to the the 'Magic City'.

1-888-TOLL FLA
(1-888-865-5352)

Monday thru Friday, 7AM - 7PM

Thanks for the #, I'll try it later.
Although I may have found an explanation, on the SR 836 Dolphin Freeway, hmm, Expressway, there is a toll only if You pass through specific points, on the West side around 99th Avenue and on the East if You go above 17th Avenue, so no tolls for me, yay!
And also looks like there is toll only on specific directions, for example, the famed Turnpike has toll going Northbound, but not Southbound.

So many things to learn:
Expressway, not Freeway
Turnpike, not Toll Road
Tag, not License Plate
3 Names for 1 Street - South (East or West) 8th Street, Calle Ocho and Celia Cruz Way

Anyhoo, I still got the Mini Thingie, I could use it for parking at the Airport and someday Pollo Tropical will take it too.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM

106 posts, read 113,739 times
Quote:
Although I may have found an explanation, on the SR 836 Dolphin Freeway, hmm, Expressway, there is a toll only if You pass through specific points, on the West side around 99th Avenue and on the East if You go above 17th Avenue, so no tolls for me, yay!
And also looks like there is toll only on specific directions, for example, the famed Turnpike has toll going Northbound, but not Southbound.

So many things to learn:
Expressway, not Freeway
Turnpike, not Toll Road
Tag, not License Plate
3 Names for 1 Street - South (East or West) 8th Street, Calle Ocho and Celia Cruz Way

Anyhoo, I still got the Mini Thingie, I could use it for parking at the Airport and someday Pollo Tropical will take it too.

NP

and yes LOL Calle 8 is unique, Cubans have really re-shaped it into a fun and growing part of town.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Not for long, though. MDX is in the process of adding a tolling point on 836 just west of Red Road (NW 57th Ave.). In fact, the open road tolling equipment was just placed in the pavement a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.826-836.com/downloads/DOL...pt_19_-_22.pdf

Old 10-03-2014, 08:44 AM

499 posts, read 305,882 times
tolling on 836 and 112 will change soon. New "detectors" (what's its name anyway?) are being installed now. they will charge you in both directions and in more places

Old 10-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Ratones bastardos.

If the work was completed on September 22nd, the SunPass site is obsolete, they need to update the maps, the static PDF and the overlay on Google Maps.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Ratones bastardos.

If the work was completed on September 22nd, the SunPass site is obsolete, they need to update the maps, the static PDF and the overlay on Google Maps.
The equipment was installed in the pavement over that weekend, but the additional tolls haven't been activated yet. There probably is more above-ground equipment yet to be installed (cameras, etc.), I don't even know when that is scheduled to occur; I was just advising you that at some point in the future you will start paying a toll for traveling on 836.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 AM

9,321 posts, read 22,242,563 times
Yes they are just charging you more for an expressway that was fully paid for in 1994. Enjoy the rip off suckers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: