Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Cold front to hit South Florida Friday; temperatures to dip into 60s | The Miami Herald

Each year there's something like this, and each year I still find it comical.

To be fair though, humidity + temperature change = feels more intense than in dry weather. The hot makes you sweat like in a sauna and the cold permeates down to your bones.

The December or January a few years ago it got below freezing, my condo couldn't generate enough power for everyone to keep the heat on, and all my balcony tomato plants died from frost. Remember when it snowed in Miami? Was it in the 80's?

Everyone get ready your scarfs, but still wear flip flops.
I don't know that the Herald report is meant to point out how *ccc-cold* it'll be there when the cold front hits ( 'cause we all know that cold is relative, LOL), but maybe just as an anticipatory sigh of relief at the thought of comfortable, maybe cool enough temps to turn off the AC for a while and enjoy the breezes.

I know that's was always how I saw those articles about the first cool front to make it far enough south to affect Miami.

The coldest weather I ever remember in Miami was in January of 1977- I recall seeing an outside thermometer register 29 degrees Farenheit one morning. That was my first year living there, and I recall folks claiming there was snow in Miami. I remember there were reports of a few snow flurries falling- none of which even made it to the ground and lasted- in north Miami, and points north. I wasn't there and couldn't say if this did or didn't happen. But there was frost on the ground, on car windshields in southern Miami-Dade County and there were many people who got that frost confused with snow and claimed snow- based on that frost. I understand the confusion for folks who aren't familiar with frost or snow, or the conditions in cold weather, but just the same, hearing that made me skeptical about any claims of snow in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 PM

106 posts, read 174,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Hey folks we are visiting Mount Dora this week and yep the nice temps are on the way and already cooling off here so hopefully by the time I get back to Miami on Friday.
What is there to see in Mount Dora?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post
What is there to see in Mount Dora?
Lots of stuff if you like a cool small town with a downtown that has unique shops, antique stores and restaurants. I loved Mount Dora. Are they having the huge "yard sale" now, Cubanchic?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM

106 posts, read 174,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Lots of stuff if you like a cool small town with a downtown that has unique shops, antique stores and restaurants. I loved Mount Dora. Are they having the huge "yard sale" now, Cubanchic?
I see

I used to live in a small one sounding similar before. I'd have to check it out.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Nope that is next weekend, went here to get a change a pace for the big 50 for me and experience old Florida south. Tonight just strolling to downtown for dinner it was 70 with a breeze it felt even cooler. Hope Miami gets it this Friday even it is not as cold but at least cooler then the norm for Miami.

To the other poster Mount Dora town has a lot of old Florida homes right next to Dora lake and lots of live oaks with dripping Spanish moss. We are staying at a wonderfull B&B and it is on the quiet part of town, nothing like reading a southern gothic mystery on a open porch swing with cool temps.

Plus they have a lot of chef restrurants, shops, mom and pop places as well as nice coffe and ice cream shops.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM

140 posts, read 434,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Cold front to hit South Florida Friday; temperatures to dip into 60s | The Miami Herald

Each year there's something like this, and each year I still find it comical.

To be fair though, humidity + temperature change = feels more intense than in dry weather. The hot makes you sweat like in a sauna and the cold permeates down to your bones.

The December or January a few years ago it got below freezing, my condo couldn't generate enough power for everyone to keep the heat on, and all my balcony tomato plants died from frost. Remember when it snowed in Miami? Was it in the 80's?

Everyone get ready your scarfs, but still wear flip flops.
Oh wow another person making a joke about floridians and the cold how original. I don't know why it's so hard to believe that people that live mostly in 90 degree weather gets colds when it drops 30 degrees overnight.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
it is GORGEOUS out this morning.
72 degrees and warming up to 84 today in Miami. . . . diggin it

Old 10-16-2014, 08:02 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Oh hell yes baby!

I walked outside and it was so nice! 74F. Hope it stays that way the whole day.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 AM

14 posts, read 17,493 times
84/72 is perfect. Miami spends more time around that range than anywhere else in the continental US.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Sixties tonight and for the next three or four nights!!!! Yay!!!! Yes, I'm happy.

Cubanchic - we stayed at the historic Lakeside Inn, years ago. We loved it. I hope they're keeping the place up. I love to see old things cherished and not torn down.

Oh and Happy Birthday!!!

Last edited by valicky; 10-16-2014 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami