U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 2,909 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Glad to have found this forum.

We were recently given an opportunity to relocate from the NYC area to Miami.

We will be on a single gross income of $125k annually to start, though my spouse could help bring in another $50k, but we are not counting on that right now.

We have 2 kids: one child in grade school and another in preschool, so good schools are important.

We have a home here which we can sell for at least $500k, with about $120k returning as equity which we can use towards our next home.

Some towns we like, but aren't sure if we can realistically afford are:

Doral
Coral Gables
Palmetto Bay
Sunset
Coconut Grove
Dadeland
Aventura

Am I way off? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,912,744 times
Ok where in Miami will you be working at and realize that commute times will be longer here.

125k to put down plus what you make and could afford palmetto bay( better schools)sunset area ( south Miami ), some parts of coral gables (beware of schools middle and high school).

Parts of coconut grove but research schools, dadeland downtown ( condos) schools in Pinecrest some.

And another nice area would be Killian area , glenvar heights, the falls area ( nice area)

125k if you have a down to earth lifestyle with two kids no private school would be fine, if you are flashy then probably that extra 50k will cover you fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Also wanted to mention that I would not recommend doral because it is a congested area that is also the employment hub for a lot of exporters and importers and construction trading industries, which will only get a lot bigger with the super containers arriving in port of Miami.

I visited Miami shores and Aventura and both are nice but will others more familair fill you in on those areas.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM

8,613 posts, read 6,995,453 times
Cubanchic, are Gables schools no good anymore? Sad.

OP do you have any contacts here? It would help you if you did.

Trust Cubanchics' suggestions, she is spot on as always!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,852,517 times
Where exactly in Miami is the job going to be?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM

139 posts, read 181,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiOrBust View Post
Hello.

Glad to have found this forum.

We were recently given an opportunity to relocate from the NYC area to Miami.

We will be on a single gross income of $125k annually to start, though my spouse could help bring in another $50k, but we are not counting on that right now.

We have 2 kids: one child in grade school and another in preschool, so good schools are important.

We have a home here which we can sell for at least $500k, with about $120k returning as equity which we can use towards our next home.

Some towns we like, but aren't sure if we can realistically afford are:

Doral
Coral Gables
Palmetto Bay
Sunset
Coconut Grove
Dadeland
Aventura

Am I way off? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your assistance.
It would be easier to assist if you could give some info on where you will be working as the traffic is getting increasingly brutal down here. Also, the demographics/aesthetics of the area you would like to live in. As an example, an area like Doral is heavily populated by foreign born Spanish speakers and very cookie-cutter suburban.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 3,581,216 times
Other nice and central neighbourhoods to look in to are Miami Shores and Shenandoah/Roads. Especially if you are working downtown and you want a short commute.

I also agree with Killian and The Falls as a viable alternative to Pinecrest. The commute would be longer, but you would have the option of doing park-and-ride at the Metrorail if you wanted to. Large Jewish community around there too.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2014, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 2,909 times
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the input.

I will be working off of Route 1, near SW184th.

I guess I should have mentioned that in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiOrBust View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the input.

I will be working off of Route 1, near SW184th.

I guess I should have mentioned that in the first place.

Hope this helps.
Hello nieghbor!!! We live in whispering pines 184 to franjo road and around whispering pines lakes. You can find reasonable homes in this part of north cutler bay and southern palmetto bay. Good thing is that we changed our school system in cutler bay so all schools are east of US 1 including middle and high school. Granted they are mostly new in that area but already having high marks and the high school is becoming a charter school for environmental science education. The homes closer to old cutler and east of old cutler road are quite expensive, and palmetto bay are more then cutler bay, but the three communities Pinecrest, Palmetto bay and cutler bay work together within police forces so we get a very fast response time. Homes on the lake range from 380k to 650k but surrounding it, any where from 200k to 350 depending on sq ft. Our home we purchased almost two years ago with a pool on 9k sq ft of land we got for 230k newly reno'ed. But we were on a busy blvd and it was a smaller home. I would think about an average of anywhere between 250k to 450k depending on what you want in this area if you want real close to work.

If you look at the falls, Killian, palmetto bay, Pinecrest, south Miami all those area since you are going against traffic then you can get to work in 30 mins or less. Of course if you pick southern palmetto bay or northern cutler bay then 15 mins. Of course some area have higher costs but those areas I would think about counting on 300k to 650k and above( pincrest and coral gables)

My son works at a huge insurance corporation off of 186 and turnpike and his commute time is 10 mins with traffic.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Cubanchic, are Gables schools no good anymore? Sad.

OP do you have any contacts here? It would help you if you did.

Trust Cubanchics' suggestions, she is spot on as always!
I know that coral gables high has had some problems and others have mentioned middle schools, but it is something that needs to be researched. Those that can afford in the better parts of coral gables will send the kids to Guliver or other private schools so the poorer outskirts surrounding coral gables might have a part of this problem. Not to say that folks that don't all the resources are less educated but might be at a disadvantage and parents might be working longer.

Although Miami school are become much better these day with Roberto Calvalo leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami