U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:59 PM

8,980 posts, read 14,690,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
It compensates for the lack of state taxes in Florida. Fortunately, this is a tax you can choose not to pay. I only use toll roads to go to the Keys, or if I'm heading out of state on the turnpike. For my daily drive to work, I'll use surface streets and just leave 15 min earlier.
It's a way to gouge tourists and greatly inconvenience residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 01:25 PM

18,905 posts, read 9,489,279 times
It's called gas efficient vehicles, less gas, less tax for the roads, per car. Now we have 2x as many vehicles that put much more wear and tear on the road, as well as need for more roadway. whats un-American? this is probably one of the better exchanges we have for that convenience.
Now in England, the tourist pay out the butt, compared to residents

Old 10-19-2014, 01:37 PM

2,953 posts, read 3,580,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
If we had income tax, and if it was handled correctly, we would not need tolls at all right now for our current level of road use.
OR if we actually increased the fuel tax to keep up with the costs and compensate for more fuel efficient vehicles. Especially now since we're producing more fuel domestically and fuel prices have come down.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,626,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
OR if we actually increased the fuel tax to keep up with the costs and compensate for more fuel efficient vehicles. Especially now since we're producing more fuel domestically and fuel prices have come down.
Yeah, that's not going to affect me much. I drive a Prius. I only have to get gas once every 400 miles.

We really should not put any more of our economy to be MORE reliant on gas or on gas-using vehicles. We're supposed to be removing the emphasis on oil to create an economy that has little to do with it, so we are not so foreign-dependent economically. I don't see the improvement in using fuel tax for roads rather than tolls. Either way, it's the little people who suffer. Whereas if you have income tax like so many other states do, you get a huge source of revenue from the wealthiest people who reside in the state, who will not feel the hurt nearly so much as they contribute to the state they take so much from.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:31 AM

2,953 posts, read 3,580,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Yeah, that's not going to affect me much. I drive a Prius. I only have to get gas once every 400 miles.
Good point.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,626,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Good point.
Since I think that's the direction we're going in, being less reliant on oil (God, I hope so...), we shouldn't rely on gas taxes for money that is important to us to function. Otherwise each year, that important fund will get less and less money as more and more people have cars with high mpg, until that becomes the standard as is already happening among the newest cars. Few of them can match the Prius' efficiency, but they are all headed that way. If we start waiting for our population to fill up at the pump, every year we will be waiting longer and long for less money total. Meanwhile, highway maintenance costs will continue to rise. Therefore, I think the best way to deal with that (as well as education and other needs that are normally fed from income tax), is income tax - because it will continually keep up with inflation and will not fluctuate with changes in technology. And, all these millionaires and billionaires flock to Florida for its tax shelter and bleed us dry - taxing those few people alone here would bring in hordes of money to cover our public expenses for things such as roads and schools. [Using that income tax, NY spends $19.5k per student on education. Florida spends only $8.3k, literally half the amount.]

Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 4,053,373 times
Miami is only a cool city to live in if you are filthy rich.. their women are too superficial.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 AM

7,006 posts, read 4,345,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You think Miami has lots of tolls? Don't drive to Orlando then.

It does have tolls, and a good amount but we also don't pay high taxes, and the tolls are not that bad. Tolls in NYC or Boston can be $5-$12 a bridge or tunnel.

What highways are you using that you have 5 tolls?

I was surprised when I drove to Orlando as to how many toll roads there were.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:55 AM

9,321 posts, read 22,244,249 times
Toll roads are a scam to extract more money in the current rentier based economy. The roads as built by 1980 were far superior to what exists today. You could drive on the Turnpike extension, 874 and the 836 and avoid tolls entirely, if you were willing to drive around them. However, few were so cheap to do so. The explosion of the FIRE economy identified toll roads as an asset to be exploited. They use them as collateral to issue bonds for "road improvements". However, looking at the cracking concrete and constant traffic backups we all know the only thing that gets improved is the finances of companies that get the contracts. Idiots who came to Miami from bigger bubbles like NYC are too simpleton to realize that Miami was an affordable place and bend over willingly to pay, pay, pay.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,779,958 times
No state taxes in Florida is part of it. With so many tourists in your state, it makes a lot of financial sense to shift some of the burden to those visiting Miami, Orlando, beaches, etc.

Would you rather 6% of your paycheck go up in smoke and make all the roads free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami