U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,507,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
South Florida has been so overplanted with palm trees to the point that it has become tacky.
Thank you!

The poor slash pine is (according to a native plant site; can't remember which one) is the most poisoned tree in SoFl.

It's highly likely that your neighbors (unless they are fans of native plants) would rather have you plant something else.

I planted a large one, and babied it. It was healthy and had pine cones.It mysteriously died (within about 3-4 days) after being healthy for months. That was the second (that I know of) and fatal swipe at that poor tree. The first attempt was confirmed by an arborist who confirmed an od of herbicide.

The other beautiful pine that you'll probably have to go to a natural area to see in South Florida is the Sand Pine.
In its younger years it is shaped like a Christmas tree, which is a good part of the reason it disappeared.

Its scent is heavenly!

I think the biggest sand pine scrub is in the Ocala Forest.

What kills me is when they rip out the old oaks (that are not destroying anything) because they "don't look like Florida."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 PM

11,928 posts, read 26,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post

What kills me is when they rip out the old oaks (that are not destroying anything) because they "don't look like Florida."
If those people only knew what the natural Florida looked like 100 years ago.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 AM

9,322 posts, read 22,258,123 times
Sand pines were only found north of Carol City and never in south Dade. They cannot grow in coral rock because no protective fungus is available like pinus ellioti. I have some sand pines here in Hendry county, but here pines grow wild due to the slightly acid sandy soil. In Miami I had a native pine I planted when I did my first experiments in 1986 trying to determine why pines did not grow except in native areas. That tree is now 40 feet tall and definitely hated by the Cuban neighbors. It grows in soil made from compost and is a monster while one planted at the last non-hispanic home on the street, from the "adopt a tree" county program is about 15 feet tall and yellow and thin. In fact, mom's whole yard grows like weeds and if I did not trim trees heavily the whole place would be a jungle in three years. I used to dump lab leftovers in the backyard and an oak that sprouted in the early 80's is now 28 inches diameter at the trunk.

I did work with a restoration of a backyard and the pines which were lost to hurricane Andrew look almost the same now as the ones destroyed in 1992. By the way the county owns a lot between Sunset and the snapper creek expressway, the 826 which is located right in the middle, that is how that whole area looked pre-development.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:11 AM

11,928 posts, read 26,987,762 times
tallrick, I assume you're talking about the place on SW 76th St? I looked it up on Streetview, looks like a very nice undisturbed lot, you can even see some regeneration in the understory. It'll end up bulldozed I'm sure.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:39 AM

9,322 posts, read 22,258,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
tallrick, I assume you're talking about the place on SW 76th St? I looked it up on Streetview, looks like a very nice undisturbed lot, you can even see some regeneration in the understory. It'll end up bulldozed I'm sure.
The place called "trinty pineland park". It was part of the whole property that went from Sunset to there and was going to be developed for homes in the late 80's, but the developer was convicted of money laundering and the government confiscated the land. It sat abandoned with 4 homes with glazed tile roofs until they were demolished and the property sold in the late 2000's. Some megachurch was going to be built on part of it but the financial panic killed that. As far as I know the fenced in part of the lot is a preserve now and will not be built on. Another great little piece of the pineland was where Kendall and the Turnpike exit is. In 1990 the pineland was bulldozed to expand the northbound exit from the Turnpike to Kendall so they could stick a toll plaza there. In fact all of the land west of 117 ave to the Turnpike was a pineland until the 80's when development devastated that area. There is still another tiny piece next to the cemetery (woodlawn) and another part they recently bulldozed to expand the turnpike where it meets the 874. The Nixon Smiley preserve is just west of there. One of the few pinelands you can actually get to without jumping a fence is next to Killian drive and SW 97 avenue. The old Rockdale railroad depot land on US-1 and SW 144 st- 152 st is also somewhat fenced off but it's pretty easy to walk in without being noticed.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:11 PM

8,016 posts, read 8,355,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I have to say I don't mind the pines all being cut down and replaced by palms. There's so many places in the US you can see pine, but not very many where you can see the types of palms growing in SoFla.

Why would you want to intentionally cut down pine trees just to replace them with palms?

Is that not just destructive or what?

Old 10-24-2014, 04:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,958,378 times
^^^ The answer is simple, most hispanics do not like trees, much less the work associated with them.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:17 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,955,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Why would you want to intentionally cut down pine trees just to replace them with palms?

Is that not just destructive or what?
He is not saying that in an intentional manner, he is saying out of preference for palms over pines and I am the same way, I love their difference and beauty.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
he is saying out of preference for palms over pines and I am the same way, I love their difference and beauty.
Yes. South Florida can grow what the vast majority of the US cannot. If people want to see pine, there's plenty to see even just a few hundred miles north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
^^^ The answer is simple, most hispanics do not like trees, much less the work associated with them.
This is a completely ignorant comment.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,003,194 times
Just because south FL can grow palms doesn't mean it should only grow palms. The pines we have here are native to this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami