U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,923,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemom1015 View Post
first off thank you all for the time you took to post your opinion for me. I appreciate it.

the area would be 148th just north of Sunset Dr. Would you recommend that? I don't think its too far from where you are saying.
We prefer to not be in a townhome.
why do you think it may not be a good investment in the long run?
I know that area and it is more of the older built homes and my grandson lives right in that nieghborhood (149 ave and a few streets north of sunset.) You really need to look at the inside of these places, because since they are older they might have had add ons. The yards are a little bit bigger then the zero lot places and yes In that area they would be attending Ferguson High although I don't know what elementary and middle they would be going to. That area will have a high number of Hispanic population but for the most part it would be working middle class folks.the houses do tend to be right next to each other and I would suggest doing a google street view. knowing the nieghborhood make sure you would visit to make sure you would feel comfortable because it might be a bit of a culture shock since almost all of your nieghbors would be Hispanic.

My grandson is almost three years old and I have walked him around his other grandmothers house while baby sitting and it is mostly quiet in that area but you will hear chickens and roosters in backyards grandson's butted against that one and on weekends you might hear Spanish music from a bday party. Sunset drive as well as miller and Kendall drive are grid locked in the mornings and afternoon rush hours heading east in the morning and west in the afternoon so even if your work is only five blocks away, it might take you 30 mins to get there.

You have not mentioned your budget so I am going a little bit blind into this, but if your husband is working in Kendall you can go to other places that might be nicer like the falls and Killian area with better schools and traffic would not be too bad going through north and south aves and side streets. Hope this helps, since I took care of my grandson for the first year of his life while his mom finished college and grew very familar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:56 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,011,033 times
I couldn't buy a house without looking at it, the neighborhood, the schools and the surrounding shopping first. You're making a huge investment, so spending the money to come down, at least for a weekend, is very worth every penny.
What a relative thinks is gorgeous, you might not. A home and a neighborhood is a very personal and long decision. I love my home, but there are tons of people who wouldn't.
That being said, I live west of 157th Ave and south of Kendall Dr. So I'm way out west. I like it here for the most part. I don't have to do rush hour drives. If I did have to work in downtown or east and north, I wouldn't live here. But since I never drive during peak hours, I'm fine. Key Biscayne, the beach I prefer is about a 45 minute drive. I go a nice scenic way so I don't mind the drive. Again, I don't do it during the peak times. I just went on Monday and the heaviest traffic I got was actually on Key Biscayne!
I don't know anything about the schools. I had one child who did elementary school until 3rd grade in the early 90's. Then the rest of the time my kids were either in private school or homeschooled. My kids do have friends who went through the entire public school system in West Kendall and graduated and they're all doing well now. Most went on to college. I think if a kid wants to they can get a great education most anywhere and if they don't, they can come out with nothing from the best schools.
If your dh is working in Kendall, it's definitely a good idea to live nearby. Is he working 9 - 5? If so, then maybe looking east of his workplace would be a good idea because you would be going against the traffic.

The Sunset/148th area seems to always be kept nicely. People seem to take care of their homes in that area. It's an older area so it has lots of mature trees. I went to an event at the golf club in there and was surprised at what a nice property it is. There were lots of people and everyone seemed decent. Heavily Spanish, but most everyone spoke English too.

I suggest a visit. A weekend here could go a long way to helping you decide on an area, let alone a house.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM

139 posts, read 182,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemom1015 View Post
first off thank you all for the time you took to post your opinion for me. I appreciate it.

the area would be 148th just north of Sunset Dr. Would you recommend that? I don't think its too far from where you are saying.
We prefer to not be in a townhome.
why do you think it may not be a good investment in the long run?
The thing about Miami is that adjacent neighborhoods/quadrants/blocks can be significantly different. I don't specifically know the area you are referring to, just what I've been told about the Kendall West/Kendall Lakes area in general. I have been told that the quadrant immediately south of that bordered by 72nd St/147th Ave/88th St/157th Ave is an area to avoid.

I don't like to base everything on crime maps because they make most places look worse than they really are, but if I look at the area you are interested in, let's say 72nd St/147th Ave/56th St/157th Ave over the past month, I see 4 assaults, 3 drug related crimes and a weapons offense. There are also the typical car break-ins, burglaries but that is par for the course for Miami. The assaults and drug stuff would be concerning to me if I had a family because that can be indicative of young guys roaming around that are up to no good. That is just one month worth of data for reported crimes. Sometimes this stuff can be confined to specific apartment complexes, etc... so I can't speak to that. Someone that knows the minute details of the area better like Cubanchic would have to give you that.

I say it is a place to avoid from an investment perspective because it is a neighborhood that is trending the wrong direction. Traffic is worse, more crime, questionable schools, buildings/houses are getting more dilapidated and not well kept, etc... It's an area that probably had its heyday in the late 80s/90s when suburban living was all the rage. I would rather see you put your money in an up and coming urban area like Shenandoah that is dodgy in parts but likely to appreciate given its proximity to the city core. That doesn't sound like an option, so I think there are other areas fairly nearby that are safer bets. If you are going to have a tiny lot anyways, I don't see the issue with a townhouse.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,011,033 times
I googled street viewed the area around 148th Ave and just north of Sunset and it looks to me a lower middle to middle class area. It looks pretty well kept. The houses aren't zero lot line. They seem to have decent sized yards. You won't lose money buying there. It's an older established neighborhood. Prices are appreciating there just like in most of Miami. I bet most of those crimes are in those section 8/HUD areas. I think the area south of Sunset and east of 147th Ave is nicer, but that may also be reflected in the housing costs.
A housing budget would be helpful and also where dh would be working and his hours. Kendall is a large area.

Edited to add that Shenandoah is quite a bit away from Kendall. And maybe it's just me, but I prefer Kendall. Even though Kendall is heavily Spanish, most speak English. the 8th St area, not so much.

Last edited by valicky; 10-23-2014 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Extra info

Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
YES, I'm from Miami and Kendall is the best area in my opinion, I actually live in Kendall. It has the best high schools, like Coral Reef (where president Obama went this year), Robert Morgan etc. It's really calm and secure, you never hear about any crimes there.

And believe me, Kendall is not so Hispanic when compared to other areas like Hialeah, Flagler, Little Havana etc.
No matter where you go in Miami there are always going to be Hispanics, (a lot), but that's good. Learning about a variety of cultures is fun; think about the different types of foods, music, language, that's free language classes right there.
Your knowledge of Spanish will increase without you even trying.

Last edited by ashley036; 10-23-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 10:21 PM

139 posts, read 182,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley036 View Post
YES, I'm from Miami and Kendall is the best area in my opinion, I actually live in Kendall. It has the best high schools, like Coral Reef (where president Obama went this year), Robert Morgan etc. It's really calm and secure, you never hear about any crimes there.

And believe me, Kendall is not so Hispanic when compared to other areas like Hialeah, Flagler, Little Havana etc.
No matter where you go in Miami there are always going to be Hispanics, (a lot), but that's good. Learning about a variety of cultures is fun; think about the different types of foods, music, language, that's free language classes right there.
The poster specifically asked about Kendall West and Kendale Lakes which are separate census designated areas than Kendall which is bound by the turnpike on the west. If you include all of these areas together, it is a huge area and I don't think you can paint it all with one broad brush. For someone that only speaks english, that might be a tough situation to move into.

I imagine most neighborhoods in Miami are majority hispanic but in the West Kendall area you will be more likely to find people that may speak little to no english, vs. say living next to a second generation cuban-american family that is americanized, where english is spoken as a first language.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 PM

823 posts, read 723,327 times
I also live in West Kendall. Most of what people have said about the area is true. Traffic is ridiculous most of the day. I see heavy traffic on the main roads when I go to work at 9:30 at night, it's comparable to rush hour in many cities. And it's not only during the weekdays, the weekend traffic is just as bad. I haven't experienced the crime others have mentioned, but as was said, it can vary from block to block.
I would definitely recommend a trip down to see the house and the neighborhood. When I bought my house, I viewed it in the late evening and although there was a school across the street, I didn't think it would be an issue. Now, the reality is, that I can't leave my house in the afternoon because the streets are packed with parents picking up their kids and I have to chase away the parents who think my driveway is a pick up area for them to get their kids.
My neighbors on both sides of me are Latin Americans, one side speaks perfect English, the other side, hardly any.
On the plus side, there are plenty of grocery stores in my area, both a Lowes and a Home Depot, a Best Buy and plenty of auto parts stores to keep my cars running. There's a good selection of restaurants for both fast food and sit down and a Costco not too far away. Not much of a nightlife around here, but that doesn't seem to be a need for you. I prefer to go to the Keys for my beach visits. Key Largo is only 45 min from me, but to get to a nice beach in the Keys is about a 2 hour drive.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 AM

249 posts, read 255,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Maximo View Post
I know a few people that grew up in that area and I'm going to relay what they've told me. Back in the day in Miami, many people moved out to the suburbs to get away from all the crime/drug issues in the inner part of the city. Now, like much of the US, things are tending the other way, with some suburban areas becoming increasingly impoverished and crime ridden. I think Kendall West and Kendale Lakes probably fall into this category as the people I know that grew up there all have told me it is slowly going downhill.

The areas are heavily Spanish speaking (probably around 90% as a first language) and inhabited by recent low to mid income immigrants to the country. I'm telling you this because you mentioned some concern about being a minority. There are section 8 housing units sprinkled in with other housing. A view from crimemapping.com shows that there are both robberies and assaults fairly frequently in both areas; especially near the main roads. There have been reports of some relatively light gang activity in the area in the past. That being said, I'm sure it is fine with the necessary precautions. There are far worse areas in this regard in Miami-Dade. Traffic is going to be hellish.

If possible, you would probably want to be east of 127th Ave. It seems like given your background/criteria, south of 88th St. (Kendall Dr.) might be a better option if you can find stuff that meets your price range. Maybe look at townhomes. I also question whether investing in Kendall West/Kendale Lakes would be a good use of your hard earned money.
I'd tell the thread starter to stay away from West Kendall due to traffic and the fact that it is a pretty heavy hispanic area. I've lived here all my life, it is not getting worse in terms of crime and poverty. People always say things are going down hill, no matter what era you're in. That being said it is Miami, which is a part of Florida, and crazy stuff does happen in this state in general.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 22,306,136 times
When the market collapses, as it always does, a dose of reality will cure what ails you. Wages are flat, inflation is up and real estate keeps costing more? We all know what comes next. Be patient.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM

6,147 posts, read 2,920,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley036 View Post

First of all I disagree with about everything you posted, regarding crime, schools, Hispanics, etc. For example if you live in Kendall your kids are not going to school in Coral Reef. Besides most of the public schools in Miami-Dade county leave a lot to be desired. There are however some very good private schools.

However I am curious what you mean by "in Miami there are always going to be Hispanics, (a lot), but that's good"
Are you just trying to be PC or do you really believe that. If so, why
I'd also like you to keep in mind when answering, that Miami was predominately white well before the influx of Hispanics, and several things political things contributed to the massive and rapid shift in demographics thanks to good old Jimmy Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami