U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,665 times

Advertisements

I live in El Paso, TX right now. Let me tell you how much I hate this city. El Paso is so ghetto and dirty. There is nothing to do at all. Worst drivers in America and comparing El Paso to Europe, drivers in El Paso are 1000 times worse than in Europe.

The people in El Paso are VERY rude. I've been to New York City and to other cities, and I've found El Pasoans to be the rudest, bitchiest, nastiest, meanest people in all of America. I have no friends here because of this. It's easier to meet people in New York City and they are generally nicer. You try to meet people in El Paso, they will distance themselves away from you.

I am considering a move to Miami, FL. There is a big difference in entertainment. El Paso has 0 entertainment and Miami has tons of entertainment.

Now, I am reading that people in Miami are as rude as El Pasoans. Is this really true? Are people in Miami very rude? How easy is it to make friends? It is impossible in El Paso.

Overall, how is living in Miami like? Is it fun? Would I love it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 AM

823 posts, read 719,709 times
You should come here and see for yourself. You're the only one who can tell if you'll like it here or not.
If you're looking for friendly people and not so rude drivers, I'd recommend San Diego over Miami, but that's me.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:25 AM

5,595 posts, read 9,346,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman2014 View Post
I live in El Paso, TX right now. Let me tell you how much I hate this city. El Paso is so ghetto and dirty. There is nothing to do at all. Worst drivers in America and comparing El Paso to Europe, drivers in El Paso are 1000 times worse than in Europe.

The people in El Paso are VERY rude. I've been to New York City and to other cities, and I've found El Pasoans to be the rudest, bitchiest, nastiest, meanest people in all of America. I have no friends here because of this. It's easier to meet people in New York City and they are generally nicer. You try to meet people in El Paso, they will distance themselves away from you.

I am considering a move to Miami, FL. There is a big difference in entertainment. El Paso has 0 entertainment and Miami has tons of entertainment.

Now, I am reading that people in Miami are as rude as El Pasoans. Is this really true? Are people in Miami very rude? How easy is it to make friends? It is impossible in El Paso.

Human beings are rude, cantankerous, melancholy creatures the world over, regardless of climate, weather, landscape, legal framework, city, suburb, rural area, language, ethnicity, ideology, partisan politics, gender, sexual orientation, level of intelligence, wealth, income, rain, shine, snow, sleet, temperature, humidity, aridness, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, and any other superfluous circumstance from one place to another.

Human beings are rude, cantankerous, melancholoy creatures the world over. Period.

Human beings.

If you have any other expectations about human beings, then you are kidding yourself.

An ancient expression: you can change your sky, but you can't change your mind.

The answer to most of your questions is to look in the mirror.

Now, having said all that, yes, Miami is a relatively large urban area with lots of entertainment options. Most of them cost money.

So, if quantity of fun is how you measure yourself, how much money can you spend on entertainment and fun?

On that basis, what sort of friends do you expect to make?

Here is a trustworthy rule to live by: take an accurate measure of reality and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Last edited by bale002; 10-24-2014 at 05:04 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM

4,825 posts, read 6,153,142 times
lol, South Florida is known for it's people being rude. The drivers are generally terrible. People don't hold doors, will cut u off, etc. It's not exactly an easy town to make friends in. My concern is that you don't have friends in El Paso not because people in El Paso are not friendly, rather in your head you wrote them all off and you've stopped trying to make friends and just say to yourself "everyone here sucks, it's not me it's them I need a fresh start"..... when in reality u could go make friends in El Paso no problem.

Human beings in El Paso are not any different than ppl in Miami or NYC. Human nature is human nature. If you're unsuccessful at making friends, perhaps take a look within and see what's going on there.
You use NYC as a barometer for "rudeness" it seems, comparing El Pasoans to ppl in NYC, as if people in NYC are very rude, which is indeed not the case. I would say they're "no non-sense" but not outright rude and bitchy.... And I understand that. Living in a city the size of NYC one must be "no non-sense" one must fight and struggle for their place in line, one must fight and struggle in traffic, the subways, housing, etc. There's a lot of competetion for resources in NYC. One has to do what they need to do to survive, so use New Yorkers as an example and a justification for your case just doesn't make much sense.

Also, Miami does seem to have a lot to do on the surface, however everything in Miami that there is to do costs lots of money. You wanna go to the beach? Pay money to park, pay money to get on to one of the state parks. You wanna be pool side with a drink in your hand-- pay for it. U wanna jet-ski in Biscayne bay--- pay for it. You wanna go to the clubs and night life scene-- u gonna pay. You wanna dive or snorkel...pay, u wanna eat at awesome restaurants, pay. Drive everywhere, pay for gas. It's an expensive city. Yes, there are things to do, but it's all somewhat of a facade sometimes. The beach and club scene can get boring. The constant traffic is annoying.

Don't get me wrong-- I do enjoy living in Miami, but one must have realistic expectations and be practical. If I were you i'd be looking west toward California, ....LA and SD in particular.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM

139 posts, read 181,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman2014 View Post

I've lived all over the country and I can honestly tell you that people in Miami are pretty as much as rude as they come. Case in point, on more than one occasion I've been crossing the street and had drivers speed up almost brushing me and then flick me off. That doesn't mean there isn't fun to be had or good people to hang out with. That being said, if rudeness is a major criterion, you're going to be disappointed. It's hard for me to believe a small city in West Texas is less friendly than Miami, but I've only driven through. I don't blame you for wanting to move from El Paso though. All accounts I've heard are that it is a dump. Just the proximity to Juarez, which looms over it, would be enough for me not to want to live there.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,003,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Maximo View Post
I've lived all over the country and I can honestly tell you that people in Miami are pretty as much as rude as they come. Case in point, on more than one occasion I've been crossing the street and had drivers speed up almost brushing me and then flick me off. That doesn't mean there isn't fun to be had or good people to hang out with. That being said, if rudeness is a major criterion, you're going to be disappointed. It's hard for me to believe a small city in West Texas is less friendly than Miami, but I've only driven through. I don't blame you for wanting to move from El Paso though. All accounts I've heard are that it is a dump. Just the proximity to Juarez, which looms over it, would be enough for me not to want to live there.
I've found that the rudeness is mostly contained to their cars. Mr. Hyde is the driver, but then Dr. Jekyll steps out of the car. Very strange but it's what I see in Miami.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 AM

249 posts, read 254,351 times
Well... Miami certainly has more stuff to do than El Paso... Good luck on the rudeness and driving, though.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 AM

107 posts, read 287,403 times
The key in making friends, is being a friend...

Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 PM

400 posts, read 289,253 times
(Black humor) in Miami You won't have bullets from high power automatic rifles coming in from that other town South of the border.

Southern California is good, but You should factor cost of living, much higher than El Paso.

Regarding rudeness from people in Miami, the opinions seem to focus on the drivers and in my few months here, it points more to lack of education on the good manners of driving, lack of knowledge of the rules of driving, lack of a driver's License.
At a pedestrian level, I've found most people friendly, the convenience store, the chemist, the market, the Apartment Building. Goes a long way if You simply hold the elevator door for the Family several feet away to get in, help the lady with the huge pack of bottled water into her market trolley.
Do it, move to Miami, many times I go out just to watch all those adult ladies wearing their Tropical Monsoon outfits.
And research thoroughly, humidity index, dew point and mold. It is not dry heat here.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 PM

597 posts, read 251,888 times
El Paso does suck I'll give you that. BUt Miami,IDk.I lived in Kansas City for year,people were actually cool there. I didn't have friends there though,but dont't have any new friends here either.People overall get on my nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami