Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM

231 posts, read 462,294 times

Advertisements

How has this not yet been posted here?

South Miami commissioners propose seceding from Florida - CNN.com

I'm sure everyone has heard the story of how the city of South Miami commissioners have proposed (re-proposed?) that the state of Florida be split along the I-4 just above Orlando creating a new State named South Florida. Obviously, I doubt this will happen just like all over attempts for a states region to break away and form a new one. This hasn't successfully occurred since the creation of West Virginia during the Civil War.

However I think it would be interesting/cool if this did pick up some traction.

What are your thoughts on this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
I'm all for it.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Doesn't make sense, we are fine as we are. I think we are the 4th most populated state and closing in on NY, Because they are all coming down here.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:54 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
How has this not yet been posted here?

South Miami commissioners propose seceding from Florida - CNN.com

I'm sure everyone has heard the story of how the city of South Miami commissioners have proposed (re-proposed?) that the state of Florida be split along the I-4 just above Orlando creating a new State named South Florida. Obviously, I doubt this will happen just like all over attempts for a states region to break away and form a new one. This hasn't successfully occurred since the creation of West Virginia during the Civil War.

However I think it would be interesting/cool if this did pick up some traction.

What are your thoughts on this topic?
The mayor was on news programs yesterday stating the case and made a lot of excellent and rational points supporting the idea to split the state.

S. Fla is very geographically, culturally and demographically different than north Florida, and needs to deal with real problems such as climate change that are already affecting S. Fla. I'd vote for it.

When states want to secede, they still have the problem of needing federal money for highways, etc. S. Fla does not need anything from N. Fla and generates more revenue, yet is subject to decisions being made by an ultra conservative legislature that is continuously trying to gerrymander districts to keep their majority. In addition, Disney lobby and N. Fla religion-influenced voters have been able to have too much of an effect on activities such as legalized gambling in S. Fla.

The only arguments against it seem to be that FL has a lot of influence on general elections. This will not help Miami as the water continues to rise.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:05 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Nobody has time to replace new flags for the whole country based off this, and that's why things of this nature almost never happen anymore. The country is settled with 50 states.

That's it until further notice.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 PM

167 posts, read 246,409 times
It's not South Florida becoming it's own state, it's the bottom half of Florida.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
All in the name of global warming and rising sea levels, yeah right.

If the southern half of Florida becomes its own independent state our corruption and lawlessness will further escalate. I think that is why South Florida politicians and business people (behind closed doors) are in favor of this move and the ones behind it. They do not want the state interfering, overseeing, or regulating their activities. They want to create more or less their own republic.

I seriously doubt it will happen, and they know it, but they are testing the environment around them.

Last edited by straight shooter; 10-24-2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Doesn't make sense, we are fine as we are. I think we are the 4th most populated state and closing in on NY, Because they are all coming down here.
Exactly.

It is a dumbass idea, quite regressive, and very childish.

I believe that Florida is actually tied at number three in electoral votes.

It took the better part of a century of war to unite the whole State into the Union and it is finally coming into its own politically, economically and culturally. Its geostrategic position as a whole and cultural diversity are among its greatest assets to its residents and to the Union as a whole, and it needs another 40-60 years to consolidate the gains it has made over the past 50 or so.

Be patient.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
And who exactly is going to pay for all the welfare and food stamps when South FL secedes?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And who exactly is going to pay for all the welfare and food stamps when South FL secedes?
The federal government. Remember southern Florida would become a state not a separate country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami