Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,175 times

Advertisements

fauve: wow, thanks so much! May I ask what the cost of rent would be for a place you just described and size of apt. (rooms, bath, etc.)?

We'd love to live where you describe, but are not sure about cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,338,140 times
All I can offer here is some advice: DO IT and ENJOY IT!! I had my house PACKED and ready to move to Key West, but alas, I fell in love and got married...and stayed in Texas due to husband's career. Otherwise I'd be down there in a heartbeat!

Kids change EVERYTHING. People told me this for years. I really had no clue! I won't see Miami or the Keys for a very long time. I love my kids, I love my husband, but my heart sometimes aches for my favorite place in the world.

Have a wonderful time!!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 AM

mom2feebs: how sweet! I don't think most parents regret their kids, and that's great. We made a conscious decision to not have them and I don't regret it one bit. I hear Texas can be nice too though.

We have been landlocked for years now and just hate it. We want to be closer to the sea. We want city. And not some little town next to a city, we want to be IN the city! So not necessarily Miami but what else is there? We are finished with the west coast.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,683,529 times
Check them out yourself - the zip is 33140. Here are two sample listings from realtor.com:

Rentals - 5845 COLLINS AV Unit: 304, Miami Beach, FL, 33140 - Realtor.com

Rentals - 5555 COLLINS AV Unit: 14T, Miami Beach, FL, 33140 - Realtor.com

Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM

omg both of those are just perfect, I mean exactly what we are looking for. We could easily afford that too. Even with the insurance/taxes. Could I get to Brickell/downtown without a car from this location? Would I want to?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Well, there wouldn't be additional insurance or taxes in a rental, so that's not really a concern. Car insurance of course, but you'd have that anywhere.

I would definitely drive to Brickell from there - in factm there is no other way I'm aware of to get there. Most, if not all office buildings in Miami were built with garages so parking is not a problem, and should be free for employees. You will be missing the majority of the traffic since downtown is essentially right over the causeway. In fact, you'll laugh at all the people driving North on 95 that are at a standstill going home, as you drive all the way over to the right exit lanes for the causeway. The drive btw is also beautiful - essentially road with water on both sides with a beautiful vista view of Miami Beach.

If we didn't have two kids, two dogs and 4 cats(!), we'd move right back

Last edited by fauve; 02-22-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 02:24 PM

thanks very very helpful. Re: Insurance, I was thinking to have our belongings insured. We've pretty much always carried renter's insurance. Just in case. Living in this area might mean we'd have to have 2 cars, which is a real bummer. But the drive doesn't sound so bad. It's one reason (having to drive to work) why I was considering Brickell. I think we will look at both spots.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

Renter's insurance is probably an excellent idea considering hurricanes, and there are a lot of service personnel in these buildings during the day. It will cost a LOT less than homeowner's insurance. Speaking of hurricanes, you willl need to evacuate Miami Beach and Brickell should there be even a Cat 1 hurricane projected. What we do during evacuations is drive either south to Key West or North to Orlando depending on the warning areas. It makes for a nice impromptu vacation, and you don't have to join the madness of hurricane preparation.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM

getting away like that would depend on my work. Well, obviously not entirely since we'd evacuate either way. Generally, I get about a month off per year. That might not be enough. Although where I live, we get major snow storms and when it hits, our office closes.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM

Oh absolutely, the office would be closed. Hurricanes down here/even tropical storms are a huge deal and everything shuts down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami