Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:34 PM

21 posts, read 19,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
^^^ Tankhead is absolutely correct. I know of law graduates that have been offered $30,000 a year jobs in the field and are buried in student loans. As already mentioned, the competition is fierce and there is a surplus. That is one of the reasons why so many lawyers in South Florida are so corrupt and desperate for work. They will do practically anything even if it puts their license at risk. There are many other professions that require less time and money and have more opportunities. It really is a shame that a lucrative and well respected profession has become so polluted.
In philosophy we pretty much study moral, ethics, virtue and what is just and unjust and why. With that being said, many philosophy majors go into law school and score very high and most of the time the highest on the LSAT. While I would love to become a lawyer in order to help and defend people who deserve it, I can see myself being influenced to become corrupt, as you mentioned above, just through being around other crooked lawyers and watching the money come in. And I am just not okay with that or willing to take that chance

It really is sad what has happened to that field...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua317 View Post
Hello Miamians! Allow me give a brief description of myself. I am 19, hispanic, I live in Boca Raton but am definitely not a part of the typical millionaires that Boca is composed of. I'm just a regular plebeian trying to make a living and attending College. I am a sophomore at FAU. Ever since I was in middle school me and my skater friends would always hop on the Tri-Rail to go skate in downtown and Brickell. That was around 2008 and I immediately fell in love with the city. There is just something literally magical and alive about it there. The colors, the architecture, the bridges, the people! So I have always know that I love it and want to live there. I usually go at least once a week just to spend time, walk around, and people watch I guess. I never interact with people because I'm pretty young, painfully shy (most of the time) and not a professional with a degree. There is nothing more that I want than to live in Miami but I do not know how to go about it. The degree I am pursuing is not all that... Philosophy (please do not give me **** about it) and truthfully I don't even like attending college even though my academic skills are great, 4.0, Dean's list, scholarships left and right (I just don't think it proves anything). I know that wages in Miami are lower, and that condos are super expensive so without a degree I would have no chance... Everyday I wake up and check for listings in Icon! I guess what I am trying to ask is, if you live an extraordinary miami lifestyle, the condo, the car, the night life, what is it that you do for a living, and where? Like what company? I just want to end up in there and not have to be a celebrity! Which I know is not a requirement but still... What kind of advice would you give to a kid like me? Please help! And thank you!!!

-Joshua
I'm not as down on employment in Miami as others--I found there is a wealth of well paying jobs in the legal field in which I work (the salaries are 20% to 40% higher paying than the gulf coast of FL (yes--I was shocked, after reading this forum, to discover that). So I do think it has to do with your field and also the amount of experience in that field. If you can afford it, you might consider an internship while in college. There are many many large companies in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and an internship gives you experience and also a foot in the door. Pretty much the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach, so you may want to look at a more practical subject if you really want to work in a city.

Both my niece and nephew found great jobs in NYC right out of college and after the beginning of the 'great recession.' She majored in math/engineering and he majored in literature. They both found jobs, but hers had a much higher starting salary because of her major. They both also had internships with good companies during the summer while attending college. Don't let negativity or naysayers color your view. When you really want to do something, you can find a way.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:43 PM

167 posts, read 246,409 times
I think some people say things like miami is not the paradise it seems to be and things like that because maybe they thought they would be living the high life somehow just by living here, or that they would be in the most expensive clubs somehow just by living here, or being with the most attractive girls just by living here. Or maybe they thought that since people here have money (just like in a lot of other major metro areas) and do "high life" stuff or whatever, that it will be easy for them to earn a lot of money and do those things.

I wouldn't be surprised if in most places you have to make those things happen.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Miami Beach is too flashy a city giving people the wrong impression about money.. not a great city to raise a family in. Money doesn't buy you happiness and most of the billionaires and millionaires in Miami are internationals or Rich Jewish NYers who made their money in real estate when the economy was better. Its better to be comfortable in a job you really love then work a job you hate just for the money.. real thoughts. I went into health care because I enjoy it and it pays well.. try to pick a career you enjoy that pays well.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 11-02-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I'm not as down on employment in Miami as others--I found there is a wealth of well paying jobs in the legal field in which I work (the salaries are 20% to 40% higher paying than the gulf coast of FL (yes--I was shocked, after reading this forum, to discover that). So I do think it has to do with your field and also the amount of experience in that field. If you can afford it, you might consider an internship while in college. There are many many large companies in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, and an internship gives you experience and also a foot in the door. Pretty much the only thing you can do with a philosophy degree is teach, so you may want to look at a more practical subject if you really want to work in a city.

Both my niece and nephew found great jobs in NYC right out of college and after the beginning of the 'great recession.' She majored in math/engineering and he majored in literature. They both found jobs, but hers had a much higher starting salary because of her major. They both also had internships with good companies during the summer while attending college. Don't let negativity or naysayers color your view. When you really want to do something, you can find a way.
Thanks for the positivity!
I am beginning to consider changing my major.
By any chance would you have any suggestion as to which companies to reach out to for internships? Preferably in Miami but Ft. Lauderdale is great too!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
I think some people say things like miami is not the paradise it seems to be and things like that because maybe they thought they would be living the high life somehow just by living here, or that they would be in the most expensive clubs somehow just by living here, or being with the most attractive girls just by living here. Or maybe they thought that since people here have money (just like in a lot of other major metro areas) and do "high life" stuff or whatever, that it will be easy for them to earn a lot of money and do those things.

That is every city.. I am sick of everyone wanting to be rich and not working for it.. Hollywood, TV shows give people the wrong impression about rich people..a lot of rich people are conservative and frugal and not flashy like everyone thinks they are. Cities like Miami, LA and Vegas have too many wannabe millionaires who pretend to be richer than they are to impress hot women.. its quite sad.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Miami is too flashy a city giving people the wrong impression about money.. not a great city to raise a family in. Money doesn't buy you happiness and most of the billionaires and millionaires in Miami are internationals or Rich Jewish NYers who made their money in real estate when the economy was better. Its better to be comfortable in a job you really love then work a job you hate just for the money.. real thoughts. I went into health care because I enjoy it and it pays well.. try to pick a career you enjoy that pays well.
You are right. Miami is a flashy city and definitely not the greatest place to raise children, I agree. Luckily -- I do not want kids. That may come off as sad but it is just how I feel. As for the correlation between money and happiness, I also agree. It is a conflict I am currently trying to overcome right now... Figuring out what I enjoy most and pays enough.

With that being said, I always like going against the odds. I know that many of those whom inhabit Miami made big bucks else where, as well as others who just are foreign investors. BUT I will figure out a way to get into those high-rises through making all the right choices. One day.

Thank you!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post

I definitely do suffer from some of the things you mention above. Like sometimes I do think that for whatever reason if I spend enough time in Miami that I would one day, by chance, encounter all the right people. I tend to kick the thought out of my head though. Fortunately, I just want to inhabit Miami. Nothing less, nothing more. I do not fancy the whole club scene, or girls, or "high life". Since Palm Beach County is practically the epitome of the high life, it has be burnt out just looking at it when I drive down the steers.. There is just something that draws me to the Magic City. If I can call it home, then I made it.

Thank you for the eye-opening advice

Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
That is every city.. I am sick of everyone wanting to be rich and not working for it.. Hollywood, TV shows give people the wrong impression about rich people..a lot of rich people are conservative and frugal and not flashy like everyone thinks they are. Cities like Miami, LA and Vegas have too many wannabe millionaires who pretend to be richer than they are to impress hot women.. its quite sad.
This!

Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Make your money out of state, where wages are significantly higher, and then, when money is not an issue anymore, move to Miami. Not before!

I am actually gonna be doing that. Working full time in Texas so that I can come back and afford a place of my own in Miami. I haven't been able to get a job here yet I already got one lined up in Texas. Literally, school is the only anchor keeping me here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami