U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM

2,888 posts, read 3,985,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
There are still places that FIU can expand to. It doesn't have to be the Fairgrounds. Heck, even within the University Park campus, there are areas that are heavily underutilized. This is clearly just a land grab.
That is exactly how I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 22,322,453 times
It just goes to show how truly brain dead Dade county voters are.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 PM

The results do not surprise me one bit. Most voters tend to be ignorant, ill informed and easily swayed. I knew this was going to happen. There are too many people connected to FIU and hardly any with the fair. FIU was pushing for this big time with a lot of influential people and politicians supporting them. They also had the backing of the faculty, the students, alumnus, vendors, lobbyist, leeches, the list goes on. Most of which are voters. Who was bucking for the Youth Fairs interests, no one. The big fish always eats the little fish and in Miami this applies even more.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 22,322,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
The results do not surprise me one bit. Most voters tend to be ignorant, ill informed and easily swayed. I knew this was going to happen. There are too many people connected to FIU and hardly any with the fair. FIU was pushing for this big time with a lot of influential people and politicians. Who was bucking for the Youth Fairs interests. The big fish always eats the little fish and in Miami this applies even more.
I guess the only hope will be that in a few years a rising interest rate economy will make more bond issues all but impossible. FIU is part of the college bubble mentality that cranks out graduates in an economy with fewer opportunities. In fact they do not even value their own degrees enough to hire their own graduates as professors.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I guess the only hope will be that in a few years a rising interest rate economy will make more bond issues all but impossible. FIU is part of the college bubble mentality that cranks out graduates in an economy with fewer opportunities. In fact they do not even value their own degrees enough to hire their own graduates as professors.
Two thing that are very true.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 AM

2,953 posts, read 3,603,301 times
One can only hope FIU devotes some of the space to community vocational and skilled trade education like Miami-Dade College. But I doubt this is the case. It's mostly going to be student housing complexes and surface parking. So I feel bad for anyone who lives in the vicinity of the (former) County fairgrounds because there's going to be a lot more FIU traffic in the area.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,805,704 times
dreaded 8th street traffic is going to get worse. Heck anything west of 826 is bad

Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM

595 posts, read 480,736 times
im an FIU employee and voted against it

Old 11-13-2014, 03:59 PM

301 posts, read 224,180 times
I live in central Florida and graduated from FIU... Hardly anyone outside of south Florida has ever heard of it.. In Florida and other states.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:46 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,434,180 times
The Fair causes traffic problems around FIU and the university has a noticeable spike in crime while the Fair goes on. Not to mention they've run out of room to expand (and yes, while expansion may consist of more parking lots its also something the university is in need of). No brainer from FIU's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami