U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM

1,809 posts, read 1,518,854 times

Advertisements

Winter is when I take the Tri-Rail to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 22,294,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
Incorrect.
Facts please. Cities only were necessary when workers needed to be near places of trade, and industry, The information age allows people to live almost anywhere and communicate worldwide, making population density unnecessary. Once automobiles became popular people flocked out of the cities and into the suburbs. Density = lower living standards. The best living is when people are spread out and yet have good highways and train networks to travel anywhere they want, fast and inexpensive. Miami's best progress would be made if everything built since the 70's was demolished and the city returned to it's previous and much more attractive self.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:50 PM

511 posts, read 402,943 times
The main issue with Miami-Dade traffic, other than the lack of a full subway grid servicing the area, is that over the last 30 years there has continued to be a large population increase west of the turnpike. Due to not much of a daily need for people to travel south of 152nd street for commerce or west into the Everglades, a huge amount of the counties commuters not only have to drive east in the morning everyday and west at night but also north/south.

That constant stream of people to the Gables, Downtown or Miami Beach during the week or weekends is unmanageable but the logistics are what they are. Coupled by the fact that I-95 actually ends just south of downtown and the lack of beaches south of Key Biscayne and the overwhelming placement of neighborhoods with small lots and additional people and you can understand how it doesn't add up to a good situation.

At least Broward has I-75 and the Sawgrass to sweep up the western communites and compliment the Turnpike and I-95 with 595.

I was away from Miami for 15 years and when I returned the increase of traffic in all areas was evident yet, other than the rebirth of the brickell/downtown area and addition of Wynwood not much seemed to be added to the ammenities of the city for the negative impact of additional people and traffic.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 AM

2,892 posts, read 2,806,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
How would the driving restrictions according to license tag numbers work?
it's called pico y placa in colombia. basically the government enacts a rotating ban on using a car if it ends with the letter or number that is banned. so let's say todays ban is for all vehicles that their license plate ends with the letter A. So every car with a plate that ends with the letter A is prohibited from driving that Day. The system works well in Colombia where their new found purchasing power has caused the number of cars on the road to multiply. Of course the government has been building and widening roads and adding mass transit but can't keep up with the growing number of cars so therefore they instituted pico y placa.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:53 PM

8,229 posts, read 5,273,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Tags ending in odd numbers can drive on odd calendar days, even and lettered tags on even days. Or something similar. This would need to have exceptions such as if there is no mass transit at your work place or home, or if you have to drop children off at school. Also, it wouldn't need to be county-wide--just in congested places like downtown and the Beach. But in general, less cars on the road would mean less congestion (though this is admittedly a draconian way to make it happen...I'd rather see congestion-based tolling on expressways and chronically congested roads like US1 and congested areas like downtown and the Beach. Everyone can drive at any time, but you have to pay for the congestion you contribute to).
''

Interesting idea, although I'd think there'd be more exemptions to the "driving every other day" than there are people who could do it. It's a bit more complicated, with people's obligations, lets say, to working every day, taking kids to school, etc etc than the water restrictions currently in effect in S Florida, ie, watering lawns on days twice a week, the days depending on whether one's address ends in an odd, or even digit.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,008,864 times
Not to mention anyone who works in service (which is a very large percentage of the population) and couldn't possibly take public transportation with all their stuff. I don't see that ever happening in Miami. Make companies use telecommuting when possible. Too underutilized in Miami in this day and age.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 3,594,960 times
Telecommuting really never caught on, despite what I've been hearing about it for the past 20 years. Kind of like "learn to speak Chinese" and fusion power.

I do think congestion tolling is more practical for Miami than a driving ban based on license tag numbers--especially until we build more mass transit. At any rate, the driving ban would only apply if you enter downtown Miami, Brickell, and South Beach, for example. And even for those days you could still drive to the Metrorail and take that in to downtown. It wouldn't apply if you live and work in the suburbs--which many people do and would not be affected.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 PM

525 posts, read 497,224 times
If Miami can't even enforce its current traffic laws, a driving ban would definitely not work especially in a car dependent city without proper mass transit.

Driving ban in Miami = destined for failure

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 PM

1,731 posts, read 2,008,864 times
There are so many service jobs that need to do jobs in the city core too. I know my husband does several times a week. He can't take public transport even if it was as great as NYC.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 AM

2,953 posts, read 3,594,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
If Miami can't even enforce its current traffic laws, a driving ban would definitely not work especially in a car dependent city without proper mass transit.

Driving ban in Miami = destined for failure
Toll by plate seems to be working pretty well. Red light cameras too, though they're more controversial. So we already have the technology to do enforcement. But in the end, any kind of "driving ban" no matter how limited (even if it's only for downtown Miami and Brickell, where there most definitely is mass transit) would be destined to fail politically in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami