U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:03 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,118,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
If Perez meant Miami is not a world class city, he's absolutely right. We're just not there yet. However, Miami is still a global city--in fact, it is a gateway city between the US and Latin America, and to a lesser extent, Europe. The Port of Miami is used for trade, and along with this Miami is a logistics hub with an outward reach as far as the Asia/Pacific region. .
I see these terms get thrown around but sometimes they mean different things to different people. Anyone care to define "world city" and "global city"...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
We're starting to get tech in South Florida, and I bet our local (though currently limited) tech industry is much more diverse than Silicon Valley is.
Highly doubtful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:09 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,570,901 times
Because of technology and the ability to travel, World class and Global ranking status is really overrated. People should live in city because of enjoyment. Who cares about living in a so called global city if you are unhappy, but only remain in that city because of money. I would take less money and quality of life, over being caught up in the rat race for some extra dollars any day.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM

463 posts, read 388,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Because of technology and the ability to travel, World class and Global ranking status is really overrated. People should live in city because of enjoyment. Who cares about living in a so called global city if you are unhappy, but only remain in that city because of money. I would take less money and quality of life, over being caught up in the rat race for some extra dollars any day.
Agree! Only status-obsessed yuppies and hipsters engage in this sort of ridiculous ****-measuring contest. Quality of life and happiness to them is defined by how many Fortune 500 headquarters are located in their city.

Sorry that the rest of the world doesn't want to all cram inside NYC and London. Guess we're not allowed to have something called personal preference.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:42 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,954,195 times
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here it is above, as it seems a lot are off on their reasoning. As you can see there are very few cities whom are global in the United States, so this is in no way a put down by Jorge Perez. Miami is the youngest big city in the nation that is going through growing pains. Miami is a wonderful tourist destination sure it is funded by outsiders as far as its building growth but taxes are being paid whether one lives here or has a second home.

The reasoning of the middle-class eradication was partly due to the exodus after Hurricane Andrew 1992 which was devastating. Miami rebuilt though and I believe in 1997 the city was on the verge of bankruptcy through some government corruption, Miami came through that. Miami has had two major building booms (2K- 2014)which have driven prices of housing along with the prices of products upward. The middle-class who once could afford no longer could. So this was a another dwindling as more moved out and went elsewhere, where their purchasing power was greater.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM

463 posts, read 388,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here it is above, as it seems a lot are off on their reasoning. As you can see there are very few cities whom are global in the United States, so this is in no way a put down by Jorge Perez. Miami is the youngest big city in the nation that is going through growing pains. Miami is a wonderful tourist destination sure it is funded by outsiders as far as its building growth but taxes are being paid whether one lives here or has a second home.

The reasoning of the middle-class eradication was partly due to the exodus after Hurricane Andrew 1992 which was devastating. Miami rebuilt though and I believe in 1997 the city was on the verge of bankruptcy through some government corruption, Miami came through that. Miami has had two major building booms (2K- 2014)which have driven prices of housing along with the prices of products upward. The middle-class who once could afford no longer could. So this was a another dwindling as more moved out and went elsewhere, where their purchasing power was greater.
Thanks for sharing.....

If you want to get into this ranking nonsense......Miami is in the same American city cohort (Alpha -) as Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, and D.C., only outranked by L.A., Chicago, and NYC. Sounds about right to me.

So not sure why this perception of Miami being some backwater beach town keeps on persisting. That would have to be somewhere like Panama City Beach, where the only two industries supporting its economy are seasonal tourism and Tyndall Air Force Base. Granted Miami's economy is not as robust as Boston or D.C. but it's no slouch either having the 12th largest GDP in the country.

Obviously the city has deficiencies it needs to work on.......attaining "global city" status is not one of them.

Last edited by go-getta-J; 11-15-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 PM

135 posts, read 142,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post

So not sure why this perception of Miami being some backwater beach town keeps on persisting. That would have to be somewhere like Panama City Beach, where the only two industries supporting its economy are seasonal tourism and Tyndall Air Force Base. Granted Miami's economy is not as robust as Boston or D.C. but it's no slouch either having the 12th largest GDP in the country.
Miami has the 12th largest GDP (this is actually the metro area including Broward and Palm Beach) mostly because its the 8th largest metro area. So, it's an underachiever given its size. On a per capita basis Miami ranks number 42 out the 50 largest metro areas. So on a per capita basis Miami is a slouch.

I don't think anyone is saying Miami is a backwater beach town. I think people are just saying it lacks the economic opportunities of other large U.S. cities and maybe this is making it difficult for the city to establish a large middle and upper middle class that can afford half million dollar condos and townhomes.

Another problem with Miami that doesn't get mentioned as often is the terrible public schools. How does this city expect to get large corporations to relocate there people to Miami, pay the ridicules prices for homes in this city, and subject their children to the terrible public schools.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:15 PM

9,322 posts, read 22,254,683 times
Perhaps if businesses like the Related Group would be eliminated and real industry taking its place living standards would improve. Why gripe that incomes are too low to support the crap they want to build if development is the very reason Miami is a lost cause. Miami was far better 50 years ago than it is now. Even 30 years ago I remember it being a lot better than now. Replacing a middle class with boatloads of low paid service workers was a terrible idea. Fllooding Miami with drug money and Fed pumping killed any hope of Miami increasing its quality of life. If not for the laundered money and refugees, Miami would be a much better place to live.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,954,195 times
Well at least Miami has come from being the youngest big city in the nation to having the 3rd largest skyline in the nation, you can't say it is a stagnant city, I will admit I am a skyscraper enthusiast so I am biased towards impressive skylines.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:01 PM

715 posts, read 867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Perhaps if businesses like the Related Group would be eliminated and real industry taking its place living standards would improve. Why gripe that incomes are too low to support the crap they want to build if development is the very reason Miami is a lost cause. Miami was far better 50 years ago than it is now. Even 30 years ago I remember it being a lot better than now. Replacing a middle class with boatloads of low paid service workers was a terrible idea. Fllooding Miami with drug money and Fed pumping killed any hope of Miami increasing its quality of life. If not for the laundered money and refugees, Miami would be a much better place to live.
sadly it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Perez is right and I agree with all of the posts but his comments seem hypocritical. He says Miami is lacking a young strong middle class, which is true, but it is The Related Group and himself the ones that are partly at fault. They sell shoebox condos for $400,000+, have inflated real estate prices and cater to foreign buyers, and now he is complaining that Miami does not have a young strong middle class. The young middle class cannot even buy a house in Homestead. Maybe his company should start catering to the so called young middle class instead of foreign investors.

Another thing is why would a Fortune 500 company be attracted to Miami. The real estate prices are high, and they would have to pay more in salaries, even with that it would be hard for them to attract qualified people from other more affordable areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami