U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be official?
No 23 71.88%
Yes!! (It makes perfect sense) 8 25.00%
Maybe in the future as Spanish population grows. 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 01:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 4,063,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Ballots, Government pamphlets, county customer services etc.. is already in three languages.

To make it "official" is just dumb and inefficient. English will but the language of the law, making it the language of business transactions. Not sure what else you would want an "official" language for. You want street signs in Spanish too?
I agree with that, lot of places in Miami have all spanish signs no english on stores, def need to learn Spanish to get by in Miami. In Broward and Palm Beach counties not as much.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 PM

67 posts, read 83,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I agree with that, lot of places in Miami have all spanish signs no english on stores, def need to learn Spanish to get by in Miami. In Broward and Palm Beach counties not as much.
That's just not true.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:02 PM

7,037 posts, read 6,325,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Plus, Spanish is official in Dade.
Spanish is not official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post

You absolutely do not need to know Spanish to get by in Miami and not at all in Broward or Palm Beach.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,367,495 times
Again, Spanish is official in Dade..and you don't need Spanish to drive or shop in Miami unless you are in some bodega in Hialeah and the clerk just arrived from Las Tunas.

Say, more English than Spanish at any English Pub in Magalluf.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 AM

511 posts, read 401,055 times
Quote:
I don't think so, it would be idiotic not to know Spanish in South Florida if you are Hispanic.
All the families with some sense and culture try to preserve their language.
Hispanic presence will grow in South Florida and the US, so more jobs will require Spanish not only service jobs.
Plus, the same way that massive birth rate, illegal settlers and massive immigration dislodged Spain and Mexico from a large part of the US, the reverse is happening... but Hispanics don't believe in the Manifest Destiny.
Spanish is used by many as a sort of Yiddish, a "guild's language"...just a "secret language".
The fact that people speak English does not mean they don't speak Spanish, and there's no official language in the US.

Actually, each generation wages its own battle to preserve the culture and language but it's true, as been observed over and over before, by the 3rd and 4th generation the language is always lost.

Not that it matter's to us now but the future South Florida will likely look very much like the Jersey Shore. Instead of being Italian, everyone in S.Fla will have hispanic surnames, look hispanic and have the miami accent when speaking english but will not know how to speak spanish except for specific words.

Sun tans and hair gel, bro. What else do you need?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 3,959,468 times
^^^ You also see this in Tampa. There are people in Tampa that have hispanic last names and are of Cuban descent but don't speak a lick of spanish.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 AM

18,952 posts, read 9,527,953 times
More than half of Los Angeles County residents speak a language other than English at home. The 10 most frequently spoken languages countywide are: English, Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog, Korean, Armenian, Vietnamese, Farsi, Japanese and Russian.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM

18,952 posts, read 9,527,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
^^^ You also see this in Tampa. There are people in Tampa that have hispanic last names and are of Cuban descent but don't speak a lick of spanish.
and they have lost a lot of the heritage too... wayy too acclimated

Old 11-24-2014, 07:43 AM

4,825 posts, read 6,153,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Actually, each generation wages its own battle to preserve the culture and language but it's true, as been observed over and over before, by the 3rd and 4th generation the language is always lost.

Not that it matter's to us now but the future South Florida will likely look very much like the Jersey Shore. Instead of being Italian, everyone in S.Fla will have hispanic surnames, look hispanic and have the miami accent when speaking english but will not know how to speak spanish except for specific words.

Sun tans and hair gel, bro. What else do you need?
I think Miami will be different tho.
Unlike the Italians of Jersey and much of the northeast.. Hispanics from the Caribbean and Latin America continue to pour into America....and keep the language and culture alive and relevant...whereas Italian immigration has virtually stopped.....therefore the ones that were here slowly adapted to the American way of life. However, Spanish language will still remain very relevant in Miami as long as immigrants from Spanish speaking countries continue to come.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 11-24-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 AM

106 posts, read 114,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Goodluck with that . Lets alienate the non-spanish speakers in Miami. Whatever happened to diversity?
I don't care much about diversity, Latin American is already a pit of generations of admixing. Leave it that to the hippies up north

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Listen kid, wipe the rose-colored water off your glasses and do some serious reading on history, written by scholars, not journalists.

If anything, over the next 30-60 years, Cuba is more likely to become part of the United States, and in any case the capital won't go anywhere (still Washington and New York), while the South Americans might inch their way to more integration if the new style caudillos can keep their egos out of the way. Wanna hold your breath?

And yes, if anything, Miami will become more Asian over the next 30-60 years.
Asian? Lol, you're the one who needs to do some research, Hispanics will always keep growing, not Asians, not blacks, not whites, not middle eastern. Look at Florida's location and what surrounds it..hundred of millions of inhabitants from Latin America.

Miami.. Florida, and even the entire US' first European language was Spanish, not the other way around. Hope that history lesson helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Never gonna happen.

I work at a high school that is 75% Hispanic and every single student here speaks perfect English... with an American accent. So, I dont think Spanish will remain the defacto language in Miami.... the kids prefer English, are educated in English, use social media in English and consume pop culture in English.

Spanish will always be a part of Miami which I think is great, but it's never gonna be the "official" language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I too observe everyday children in neighborhoods in Miami with heavy, and affluent, Hispanic presence, and, as I have mentioned many times, I see that the second generation is struggling to have the third generation retain Spanish, and by the fourth generation it will be a losing battle.

We have seen this film before.

Yes, as new immigrants come, and even more so because of commercial proximity, Spanish will always be part of Miami, which I too think is great, but its proportions are diminishing daily and will continue to diminish.
Where is that at LOL, Cudler Bay, Miami Beach, then yes most likely, but most 2nd, 3rd gen Hispanics I know speak good amount of Spanish in their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
People already call Miami the capital of the 3rd world. Do we really need to make that official?
3rd world? Miami, is far from being 3rd world, maybe perhaps you should move back to cold old gringo landia up north if you hate it so much

Africa, Bangladesh, India those are real 3rd world places. Most Latin America is in a transitioning process (rather).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I doubt it would make the Creole speakers very happy. There are enough of them living in Miami-Dade County to add Creole to the languages listed on government documents, signs and so on.
Creole speaking people didn't build miami, made miami what it is today, Cubans, whites and other Hispanics did. Demographics and history speak higher then current newly come extracts.

Quote:
I don't think so, it would be idiotic not to know Spanish in South Florida if you are Hispanic.
All the families with some sense and culture try to preserve their language.
Hispanic presence will grow in South Florida and the US, so more jobs will require Spanish not only service jobs.
Plus, the same way that massive birth rate, illegal settlers and massive immigration dislodged Spain and Mexico from a large part of the US, the reverse is happening... but Hispanics don't believe in the Manifest Destiny.
Spanish is used by many as a sort of Yiddish, a "guild's language"...just a "secret language".
The fact that people speak English does not mean they don't speak Spanish, and there's no official language in the US.
Exactly, most of the folks in here (as you can clearly see by the poll, are non-Hispanic people, that are mad at the fact we have taken over Miami, and that it's ours. My lady is Cuban, and our kids will also learn Spanish at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I think Miami will be different tho.
Unlike the Italians of Jersey and much of the northeast.. Hispanics from the Caribbean and Latin America continue to pour into America....and keep the language and culture alive and relevant...whereas Italian immigration has virtually stopped.....therefore the ones that were here slowly adapted to the American way of life. However, Spanish language will still remain very relevant in Miami as long as immigrants from Spanish speaking countries continue to come.
Great points! You already covered what I was about too!

My kids as I said before, will also speak Spanish at home, and practice, Latino (Dominican, Cuban)food, culture and traditions at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami