Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be official?
No 23 71.88%
Yes!! (It makes perfect sense) 8 25.00%
Maybe in the future as Spanish population grows. 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post
I suggest creating a Latin American Union, and making Miami the capital of it, working as a semi-autonomous self reliant part of the United States and the simultaneously Latin American Union (LAUN)
Goodluck with that . Lets alienate the non-spanish speakers in Miami. Whatever happened to diversity?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
I suggest creating a Latin American Union, and making Miami the capital of it, working as a semi-autonomous self reliant part of the United States and the simultaneously Latin American Union (LAUN)
Listen kid, wipe the rose-colored water off your glasses and do some serious reading on history, written by scholars, not journalists.

If anything, over the next 30-60 years, Cuba is more likely to become part of the United States, and in any case the capital won't go anywhere (still Washington and New York), while the South Americans might inch their way to more integration if the new style caudillos can keep their egos out of the way. Wanna hold your breath?

And yes, if anything, Miami will become more Asian over the next 30-60 years.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Never gonna happen.

I work at a high school that is 75% Hispanic and every single student here speaks perfect English... with an American accent. So, I dont think Spanish will remain the defacto language in Miami.... the kids prefer English, are educated in English, use social media in English and consume pop culture in English.

Spanish will always be a part of Miami which I think is great, but it's never gonna be the "official" language.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Never gonna happen.

I work at a high school that is 75% Hispanic and every single student here speaks perfect English... with an American accent. So, I dont think Spanish will remain the defacto language in Miami.... the kids prefer English, are educated in English, use social media in English and consume pop culture in English.

Spanish will always be a part of Miami which I think is great, but it's never gonna be the "official" language.
I too observe everyday children in neighborhoods in Miami with heavy, and affluent, Hispanic presence, and, as I have mentioned many times, I see that the second generation is struggling to have the third generation retain Spanish, and by the fourth generation it will be a losing battle.

We have seen this film before.

Yes, as new immigrants come, and even more so because of commercial proximity, Spanish will always be part of Miami, which I too think is great, but its proportions are diminishing daily and will continue to diminish.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
Well first of all "European Spanish" is not spoken here the same as "British English" is not spoken here. Second you are required to speak and understand English as a requirement of citizenship. Third if you limit yourself to only speaking Spanish, you do yourself a disservice by limiting your ability to travel around the U.S. I would never go to Spain and expect someone to speak to me in English nor would I try and get them to change. At best it would be culturally insensitive to do so and at worst it would be bigoted and racist. (See KKK)

Old 11-20-2014, 10:20 AM

600 posts, read 753,882 times
Quote:
People already call Miami the capital of the 3rd world. Do we really need to make that official?

Old 11-20-2014, 10:24 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
English is still more widely spoken by a very large margin in Miami than Spanish is.

Most local TV, radio stations, and periodicals are in English as well.

Isn't it contradictory for the OP to post a poll of whether or not Spanish should be the official language here while also posting an article stating a study that indicates that Spanish speakers are decreasing. OP, you answered your own question with your article.

My own opinion is that it is an idiotic idea to make Spanish the official language here. There is absolutely no benefit to it.
I doubt it would make the Creole speakers very happy. There are enough of them living in Miami-Dade County to add Creole to the languages listed on government documents, signs and so on.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Ballots, Government pamphlets, county customer services etc.. is already in three languages.

To make it "official" is just dumb and inefficient. English will but the language of the law, making it the language of business transactions. Not sure what else you would want an "official" language for. You want street signs in Spanish too?
The street signs are already written on the ground on rocks in Coral Gables. Let's make it more difficult to find your way around Miami LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Goodluck with that . Lets alienate the non-spanish speakers in Miami. Whatever happened to diversity?
Miami hasn't been diverse in 25 years if it even was then.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
Spanish is official in Dade county.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:05 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I too observe everyday children in neighborhoods in Miami with heavy, and affluent, Hispanic presence, and, as I have mentioned many times, I see that the second generation is struggling to have the third generation retain Spanish, and by the fourth generation it will be a losing battle.

We have seen this film before.

Yes, as new immigrants come, and even more so because of commercial proximity, Spanish will always be part of Miami, which I too think is great, but its proportions are diminishing daily and will continue to diminish.

I don't think so, it would be idiotic not to know Spanish in South Florida if you are Hispanic.
All the families with some sense and culture try to preserve their language.
Hispanic presence will grow in South Florida and the US, so more jobs will require Spanish not only service jobs.
Plus, the same way that massive birth rate, illegal settlers and massive immigration dislodged Spain and Mexico from a large part of the US, the reverse is happening... but Hispanics don't believe in the Manifest Destiny.
Spanish is used by many as a sort of Yiddish, a "guild's language"...just a "secret language".
The fact that people speak English does not mean they don't speak Spanish, and there's no official language in the US.
Plus, Spanish is official in Dade.

Last edited by Miserere; 11-22-2014 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami