Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:18 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,550 times

Advertisements

I spent 5 days in Miami Beach this past week. South Beach in a $180/night hotel near 10th and Collins. In summary, the most over rated vacation City I have ever been in. 90+% of the reviews on Trip Advisor must be astroturfing . Maybe I would have a higher opinion of it if I spoke Spanish, it was often a struggle to find someone that *understood* English beyond a 4th grade level. I think there is a higher percentage of people that speak English well in Cabo San Lucas. And Cabo is less than half the price. At times I found myself wondering if a particular business accepted U.S. money before I entered. I suspect a Cabol of people/companies own all the hotels and bars in the area and maintain artificially high prices, and of course put a lot of effort into hyping the South Beach experience. The price of real estate and labor in the area does not justify the prices being charged for Hotel, food and drink. I observed a lot of homeless, and had a general feeling that people working there were trying to Hustle me. I'd estimate 75% of the tourists when I was there were Euros, maybe that changes based upon season. It is nice on the eyes to see that most of the Euro women are not over weight like the typical North American woman, but many of the Euros Smoke, most don't understand English beyond said 4th grade level, and they all start to look alike after a while. I spent half a day in North Beach (just 5 miles north of SOBE), for some reason I assumed North Beach would be more English speaking, it wasn't, same experience, just a slightly lower social class.
eta: why do they have to air condition everything to the max? It is 80 outside, but the Hotel, the Airport, the buses, etc.... are all 68ish inside. I saw people walking with coats due to the excess AC even mid day.

Last edited by Robert5; 11-24-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:06 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
Glad you enjoyed your stay, beautiful place Miami Beach.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM

231 posts, read 462,266 times
While South Beach is awesome, literally everything your wrote says your not discerning enough of a traveler to have avoided the tourist traps. I bet you actually went to Ocean Drive. I'm an English speaking American, and I love the international vibe of the city and on the weekends I love kicking it with European and South American women. BTW, I live on South Beach and have no problem finding fluent english speakers.

You don't really come here looking for an American experience, this is the destination for those who wanted the Jetset feel but did really have time to pull off a full blown trip to South America or the Mediterranean.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,615 times
should've gone to Fort Lauderdale then

Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
You did not see nor do much of what South Florida has to offer.

And why would European tourist know English?? How is this a negative?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,124,979 times
I actually agree with most of what the OP posted. Miami Beach tries very hard to be like a European beach city. I mean, who wants to go to a beach bar with velvet ropes, cover charges, dress codes and $7 domestic beers except those who are or pretend to be European? On the other hand, a little bit of Google searching would have told a traveler as much and if one didn't want to pretend to be European on their vacation, they could choose another destination.
Personally, I'll drive down to Key West for my Florida beach fix, even though I only live 30 min. from SoBe. The vibe there is more to my liking, and everyone speaks English!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,605 times
Maybe its changed since I left, but South Beach always hyped the whole ghetto, "hood life" bullcrap too much for me to ever want to hang out there. I worked security there, it was always broke wannabe thugs, homeless people and rebellious girls from America and Europe who always exclusively seemed to prefer black guys. Classier Euro and Argentine tourist sightings did pick up a bit before I left, but once 11:00 pm hit, it would always transform into one trashy, ghetto, hood block party until sunrise.

I always imagined South Beach would have wanted to shed this image sooner or later, as apparently I heard numerous times that this ghetto image the city was appealing to was causing the city to go broke because their trashy thug clientele could never afford anything outside of the costs of their hotel room.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Maybe its changed since I left, but South Beach always hyped the whole ghetto, "hood life" bullcrap too much for me to ever want to hang out there. I worked security there, it was always broke wannabe thugs, homeless people and rebellious girls from America and Europe who always exclusively seemed to prefer black guys. Classier Euro and Argentine tourist sightings did pick up a bit before I left, but once 11:00 pm hit, it would always transform into one trashy, ghetto, hood block party until sunrise.

I always imagined South Beach would have wanted to shed this image sooner or later, as apparently I heard numerous times that this ghetto image the city was appealing to was causing the city to go broke because their trashy thug clientele could never afford anything outside of the costs of their hotel room.

I think what your trying to say in that first paragraph is you can't afford to hang in Sobe, so you in an inferior sense have to put the area down, I believe that is analogous to the OP comments.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 AM

249 posts, read 419,339 times
Quote:

What the hell... When did you work as security in SoBe? The 90s?

Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 AM

231 posts, read 462,266 times
Quote:

You had to have specifically worked at a hiphop club to experience any of that. None of the spots I hang out at ever looked like that, and I'm out in SoBe most weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami