Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 12:43 PM

159 posts, read 801,870 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting site showcasing urban decay throughout North America. They have a section on Miami's public housing. I thought it was interesting.

Miami's Public Housing (http://www.urbandecay.ca/MIAMIPUBLICHOUSINGMAIN.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM

37 posts, read 156,699 times
Interesting indeed... Wish they had posted street level photographs, as they probably would show better detail. I remember a while back there was a lot of talk about demolishing the scott carver homes, but I guess the new housing construction never took place Also, if I don't remember wrong, there was some sort of scandal surrounding the miami housing authoridy (?)... It's a shame...

Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,558 times
Default Nah Huh

if U Think Mia Is Urban Decayed, Jus Wait Till U Go 2 Central Palm Beach County In A City Called Belle Glade.very Depressing And I Have Been Everywhere In Mia And Still Dosent Compare.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM

159 posts, read 801,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grove_nurse View Post
Interesting indeed... Wish they had posted street level photographs, as they probably would show better detail. I remember a while back there was a lot of talk about demolishing the scott carver homes, but I guess the new housing construction never took place Also, if I don't remember wrong, there was some sort of scandal surrounding the miami housing authoridy (?)... It's a shame...
Yeah, I heard something about the Carver Homes. They just tore them down and never started the construction on the affordable housing. It's sad for the displaced people of that community.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM

546 posts, read 2,139,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-DELRAY-561 View Post
if U Think Mia Is Urban Decayed, Jus Wait Till U Go 2 Central Palm Beach County In A City Called Belle Glade.very Depressing And I Have Been Everywhere In Mia And Still Dosent Compare.

Yeah, palm beach county does have some really poor areas...I drove through some along U.S. 1. I was surprised...

Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 PM

94 posts, read 132,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Yeah, palm beach county does have some really poor areas...I drove through some along U.S. 1. I was surprised...

I agree. I lived in NY and have never seen such disparity between haves and have nots as I have seen in Miami.
Than again Miami has the worse politicians in America thus its no wonder the poor live like 3rd world countries.

I drive to work and once in awhile see these 2 elderly sisters who are cleaning women . waiting by the bus stop and I drive them to work . They take a bus from another part of Miami that they sometimes have to wait for 2/3 hours .

Here in Doral the bus service is deplorable but we all have cars but the poor in other parts of Miami who want to work have to wait 2/3 hours for a bus.

I have never seen people so kicked in the face so abused by a corrupt vile city . Its like they cant climb out of the hole they are in because Miami politicians enjoy keeping them poor.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,223,046 times
The popular news show 60 Minutes did a feature on Urban Decay once and featured West Palm Beach on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post

The thing is, people visit this area from other areas (such as Miami) and only visit the most expensive, classy areas (such as Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, etc.), and think it's an amazing place. But the truth is the middle class areas and lower class areas are very crime-ridden and face third-world problems just as Miami-Dade does.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
Personally I would like to see the Government out of the housing business. Maybe if property taxes were removed from the homes of the poor they would not need public housing? I bet that if the money used right now for public housing was instead given to the local community and church groups to manage the projects, and focus was made on building a real economy, the poverty issue would slove itself.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM

546 posts, read 2,139,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valea View Post
I agree. I lived in NY and have never seen such disparity between haves and have nots as I have seen in Miami.
Than again Miami has the worse politicians in America thus its no wonder the poor live like 3rd world countries.

I drive to work and once in awhile see these 2 elderly sisters who are cleaning women . waiting by the bus stop and I drive them to work . They take a bus from another part of Miami that they sometimes have to wait for 2/3 hours .

Here in Doral the bus service is deplorable but we all have cars but the poor in other parts of Miami who want to work have to wait 2/3 hours for a bus.

I have never seen people so kicked in the face so abused by a corrupt vile city . Its like they cant climb out of the hole they are in because Miami politicians enjoy keeping them poor.

Well I've lived in NYC and visit once a year, and they have their dumps too. Just a few weeks ago I was in the Bronx and was taken aback at the poverty and the living conditions inside these apartments we were visiting.

And i'm talking like 10 miles north of the Upper East side where there alone there is probably more wealth than all of Brickell combined. The disparity is amazing.

Urban squalor is not something that is exclusive to Miami.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,542,407 times
They use to have housing and urban decay in the South Bronx that would make Overtown and Liberty City look like a paradise. The same way with Philadelphia and where I am from here in Jacksonville.

A lot of Miam's public housing would look nicer if they had more trees surrounding the places. They are too wide open and look drab,especially the ones built in Liberty City off of I-95. I feel they should build more places like they have off of 79th street next to the Days Inn Hotel. These projects would use less land if they built straight up instead of spread out and would be more cost effective.

Last edited by noland123; 01-04-2008 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami