Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times

Advertisements

Hello Miami locals. I know Coral Gables is one of the "nicer" areas within Miami-Dade County.

My question is how is the northern part as a place to live? Crime, cleanliness, access to retail/restaurants, etc.

I am talking about the area roughly north of Veneitia Ave, south of SW 8th Street, east of 49th Avenue and west of Madrid. Or click on the link below to see a home listed in the same general area.

848 Alberca Street, Coral Gables FL For Sale - Trulia

I realize it is probably not walkable to say the miracle mile area but just want to know if this is still a generally nice area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM

366 posts, read 517,274 times
coral gables is one of the hardest hit communities for break and enter in the last 2 yrs. i used to like coral gables but its getn worse not better

Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM

139 posts, read 277,767 times
Coral Gables is one of the nicer areas to live in in the county. The northern part is more modest (in a relative sense) than the southern portion where many people are flat out wealthy. Break-ins are an issue and I know of a few cases first hand, but I've seen no data to support what croatbob says.

You would be at a higher risk for that sort of thing in the northern part because of the proximity to 8th St. That being said, you have to deal with that risk in most areas in Miami. An investment in a good home security system would proabably be an adequate deterrent.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
A friend lives by 37 ave and north of 8 street. In 20 years he has never had a break in or theft from criminals. The only thing you have to watch for is the little white car with code enforcement in it. They will rob you if you let them.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:10 AM

83 posts, read 73,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A friend lives by 37 ave and north of 8 street. In 20 years he has never had a break in or theft from criminals. The only thing you have to watch for is the little white car with code enforcement in it. They will rob you if you let them.
I'm looking at a house in that area (Montilla Ave.), but I'm not very familiar with that part of Coral Gables. In fact, I didn't even realize that it was a part of Coral Gables. Can you tell me any more about it since you have a friend there? Or more importantly, what's the area in the City of Miami just on the other side of 37th Ave. like?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole D. Cocker View Post
I'm looking at a house in that area (Montilla Ave.), but I'm not very familiar with that part of Coral Gables. In fact, I didn't even realize that it was a part of Coral Gables. Can you tell me any more about it since you have a friend there? Or more importantly, what's the area in the City of Miami just on the other side of 37th Ave. like?
It's Ok in Coral Gables but on the east side of 37 ave there are mostly duplexes and a few apartment buildings. The apartments tend to have more rif raf than the single family homes, so its best to not live next to any of them. To find any part of Coral Gables just look for the short concrete street signs. Parking can be an issue so if you buy a home make sure it has its own driveway. Beware of illegal additions and poor work as the City can make your life miserable if they find code violations. Otherwise you just have the standard Miami issues of overpriced property and traffic headaches. Much better location than being in the boondocks like West Kendall.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:33 AM

32 posts, read 60,545 times
in the last year there have been some sexual assaults of of a person actually entering units in the quadrant of ponce/le jeune rd/8t street and alhambra circle which is near where you are inquiring about. At least that's what I heard. Don't know if that's common or not but it would give me something to worry about if i was looking to buy in that area.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:13 AM

83 posts, read 73,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla305 View Post
in the last year there have been some sexual assaults of of a person actually entering units in the quadrant of ponce/le jeune rd/8t street and alhambra circle which is near where you are inquiring about. At least that's what I heard. Don't know if that's common or not but it would give me something to worry about if i was looking to buy in that area.
Thanks for this info. I did some research and it appears to be one perp who has been doing this in various areas of the city for the past year or so. While certainly disturbing, it isn't as alarming as if there had been significant crime in the area committed by numerous individuals.

I also want to thank Tallrick for his info (don't know how to multi quote). I am a still a little concerned with that area across 37th Ave. and his reference to riff raff.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM

139 posts, read 277,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole D. Cocker View Post
The area immediately east of 37th Ave bound by 16th St., Coral Way, and 32nd Ave. is a decent neighborhood called Coral Gate (I think). It is more modest and not as nice on the eyes but it is full of friendly families with limited entrances into the neighborhood. Further east of 32nd Ave. in Shenandoah gets more sketchy but improves as you get closer to Brickell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami