U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 PM

229 posts, read 360,673 times

Advertisements

I actually found updated stats for Westgate.

2000 Westgate:

• White alone - 3,347 (41.1%)
  • Hispanic - 2,633 (32.4%)
  • Black alone - 1,861 (22.9%)
2010:

• Hispanic - 3,321 (41.6%)
  • Black alone - 2,900 (36.4%)
  • White alone - 1,441 (18.1%)
  • Asian alone - 132 (1.7%)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,444,807 times
Actually you are wrong, look up Palmetto Estates, South Miami, Miami Shores, North Miami, West Little river, Edgewater, Leasure City, Downtown Miami, Allapattah, Homestead, Florida City and I am sure there are many more.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 PM

I thought you said that all of South Florida is segregated?

Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,444,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
I thought you said that all of South Florida is segregated?
It actually is, when you look closer, you will see that there is a "white" section that is middle or upper class (or hispanic in some parts of Miami and Broward) and then you have poor hispanic and black neighborhoods. Again there are exceptions like Miramar but for the most part it is pretty segregated here in South Florida.

Or you find a poor neighborhood with people of all races who are just stuck there like Florida City. What I think you won't find in South Florida is a middle class place where "white non hispanics" will live if there is a large African American community. Miramar has very low non hispanic white population. Hispanics are actually more flexible about that.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 PM

249 posts, read 254,351 times
TriCounty, just because a place is 33% white, 33% hispanic, and 33% black does not mean they are equally integrated. There are plenty of places in Miami, especially NW Miami that is X percent hispanic and X percent black but it does not mean that theyre equally distributed by their percentages in every block. Wynwood has demographics similar to the one youre posting but do you really think the rich whites and latinos are living amongst the poor latinos and blacks that historically called Wynwood their home? LOL

I stand by my opinion (I think it is fact) that Miami's spanish speaking neighborhoods dont have white and black peopleliving in the because white and black people hate those neighborhoods.

Ever notice how in the "integrated" parts of Miami where plenty of white people and others ethnic groups live in, the hispanics there are more Americanized?

The issue isnt prejudice, the issue is that people arent willing (and why should they) to move in to neighborhoods with heavy influence from a foreign culture and language.

Even in NYC, one of the most diverse and tolerant cities in the world is heavily segregated by neighborhood. It isnt until people share the same culture are they willing to move next to one another. And then it isnt really integration because even though people may be of a different ethnic group, their cultures are the same.

Go back 100 years in America and youll notice the different groups of white people segregated themselves by neighborhoods. It was not until they were far removed from their ethnic background and became "American" that White people integrated as a group. Otherwise the Germans stuck with the Germans, Poles with Poles, Irish with Irish, etc.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:05 PM

TooLoud, why do Anglos move out of neighborhoods? For example, look at the Westgate stats. In 2000 it was 41% white and now it's 41% Hispanic. Why did it change so much in 10 years? Is this white flight? Where do they move to?

Why is Southern Anglo culture more racist than other Anglo cultures?

Also, why do Latins often make fun of areas like Hialeah, Little Havana, etc.? Is it the same reason why middle class whites make fun of rednecks?

Last edited by TriCounty; 01-04-2015 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It actually is, when you look closer, you will see that there is a "white" section that is middle or upper class (or hispanic in some parts of Miami and Broward) and then you have poor hispanic and black neighborhoods. Again there are exceptions like Miramar but for the most part it is pretty segregated here in South Florida.

Or you find a poor neighborhood with people of all races who are just stuck there like Florida City. What I think you won't find in South Florida is a middle class place where "white non hispanics" will live if there is a large African American community. Miramar has very low non hispanic white population. Hispanics are actually more flexible about that.
Yup. Often times, diversity is correlated with poverty. The Bronx is the most diverse borough of NYC and the poorest. It's not that people just said "hey, I want to immigrate here and choose to live among other different poor people" it's more like "this is whats affordable"

the closest thing i can think of what youre trying to look for are some South-Dade neighborhoods. The African-American percentages are pretty low but high enough where you notice theyre there. It's too bad I rarely keep track of neighborhoods when I pass by them. I'm pretty sure my aunt lives in one of those types of neighborhoods, I remember seeing a lot ( by Miami standards ) white americans and african-americans when driving through the neighborhood and going to Publix.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
TooLoud, why do Anglos move out of neighborhoods? For example, look at the Westgate stats. In 2000 it was 41% white and now it's 41% Hispanic. Why did it change so much in 10 years? Is this white flight? Where do they move to?

Why is Southern Anglo culture more racist than other Anglo cultures?

Also, why do Latins often make fun of areas like Hialeah, Little Havana, etc.? Is it the same reason why middle class whites make fun of rednecks?
It isnt an Anglo thing. People in general just move out when different people move in. Old school Cubans moved out when Castro Cubans moved into Little Havana. Jewish people in NYC, when they first arrived long ago segregated themselves by nationality. German Jews live amongst their own, Romanian with theirown, Hungarian amongst themselves, etc even though they were all Jewish.

The best answer I can think of is: to be around similar people/culture.

I dont have an answer for your second question.

And yes, you're correct on the last part.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM

Still, it's not true that all of those neighborhoods are completely segregated. Coral Springs for example has diverse areas that aren't ghettos where different groups of people live on the same streets. Sugah Ray mentioned Pembroke Pines being segregated yet the gated communities west of I-75 are only about half Hispanic and the remaining races being black and white so how is that segregation if it's different types of people living in the same exact communities? Even east Pembroke Pines isn't completely black like Sugah Ray implied, it's about half. There's even a section around Douglas Road by east Pembroke Pines that is almost a third white, black, and Hispanic. It's a neighborhood and not a city. The information about Pembroke Pines being completely segregated is flat out wrong.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 840 times
Default Be cautious and you will be OK.

As in most large cities, there are safe places and not so safe places. This past summer I drove down from NY to take a cruise and spent 2 days in Miami area. It was safe, the night life was like NY noise and as in NY keep your wits abut you, and don't carry jewelry and other showy item on you that is for everyone to see.

By the way I have been to Singapore, and of course it can't be as safe as it is over from where you come from. The mix of people in Miami varies, not like Singapore.

Enjoy yourself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami