U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 6,682 times

Advertisements

Sunny Isles sounds great. I will be working in Coral Gables, so that seems like a good location. Living in Houston, we are 2 hours from the beach in good traffic and we still go every other weekend at least. Being closer to the beach is going to be great, plus the fact that the weather will be cooler than Houston. In the summer, Houston stays around 100 with 100% humidity, so knocking 10 degrees off that will be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 PM

27 posts, read 17,884 times
yeah, I love Sunny Isles and if you don't mind a little commute it might be perfect for you!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 PM

284 posts, read 653,786 times
Basically all the barrier islands - Sunny Isles, Bal Harbour, Surfside, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne are very nice areas to live. You just have to look around and find your niche. Some good values are Aventura, North Bay Village and Bay Harbour Islands. You trade a little bit of proximity to the beach but still get the nice water views.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:43 AM

62 posts, read 45,139 times
I find it amazing that some posters here suggest that a $125k yearly salary with a 20% bonus is not enough money for a family of 4 to live on in Miami! I know families that make half as much and do fine. It all depends on one's personal financial standing as well.
Cubanchic gave some very sage advice as well. Good luck on your potential move to Miami!

Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,422,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob30 View Post
I find it amazing that some posters here suggest that a $125k yearly salary with a 20% bonus is not enough money for a family of 4 to live on in Miami! I know families that make half as much and do fine. It all depends on one's personal financial standing as well.
Cubanchic gave some very sage advice as well. Good luck on your potential move to Miami!
It's not just the salary issue, rather he's taking a pay cut to move to an area with a higher COL.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:36 PM

823 posts, read 720,133 times
I was in a similar situation as you, except I'm by myself and not in a family group. I was making around $150K in San Diego, got laid off and accepted a job in Miami at only $80k to start. It was hard at first, I had to make a lot of sacrifices and change my lifestyle substantially. I had gotten used to being able to spend money like an NBA player on his first contract! Lol! It's been almost 3 years now and things are starting to get better financially. I came from a state that had a fairly high state income tax, to one without any, so that helped offset the difference a little, you won't have that advantage.
My suggestion would be to rent someplace close to the beach for your first year here so you can get that beach itch taken care of. After that, you might find you don't need the beach as much anymore and can start looking inland once you get your raise.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM

500 posts, read 307,213 times
I would not be surprised if the oil industry and Houston take some hit from the fall in oil prices.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:22 AM

56 posts, read 47,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob30 View Post
$125K in Miami won't go nearly as far as $125k in Houston: that's a fact. The point I was traying to make is that they will need to make drastic lyfestyle changes, and that's also a fact, especially since the OP says they're looking into Sunny Isles. With that said, they won't be poor for sure.

Last edited by Surf&Turf; 01-16-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2014 View Post
Sunny Isles sounds great. I will be working in Coral Gables, so that seems like a good location. Living in Houston, we are 2 hours from the beach in good traffic and we still go every other weekend at least. Being closer to the beach is going to be great, plus the fact that the weather will be cooler than Houston. In the summer, Houston stays around 100 with 100% humidity, so knocking 10 degrees off that will be awesome!
Rent for a 3 bedroom condo in Sunny Isles is in excess of $3K a month (even more the closer you get to the beach). A 2 bedroom probably around $2.6K a month. 3 bedroom single family homes in Sunny Isles are definetly in excess of $3K a month as well. So you start to see why $125k a year won't take you as far as in Houston. Commuting from Sunny Isles to Coral Gables will also be not fun. Good luck though...sometime you just have to follow your heart.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflove View Post
What type of home do you live in now? How many bedrooms do you want? I would say come visit first but not in a million years would I think someone making 125k would even remotely have a hard time here. If you want to live on the beach I would say try Sunny Isles. Rent for an apartment goes from $1700 up to who knows what depending on whether or not you stay directly on the beach or across A1A and whether or not you want a 2 or 3 bedroom. You can find rent cheaper than that for a house if you want to live more inland in an "average" area. What area of Miami will you be working?
Again, big lifestlye changes. It's not that with $125k a year they'll be poor...but I'm sure that with making $150k in Houston they're accustomed to a certain lifestyle and housing options that they won't be able to sustain in Miami. For example, yes you can rent an apartment for $1700 a month in Sunny Isles, but it will be lightyears from the type of housing they can afford with the same $$ in Houston. If they want to keep the same lifestyle and same housing options, then yes $125k won't be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami